Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

How many times do we need these ridiculously long contracts biting us in the arse, before we learn the lesson?
  • Betts
  • Jenkins
  • Sloane
Need I go on?

I'm pretty sure every single one of our older players has been totally cooked in the final year of their long contract, and often we have given them an additional year (or more) on top of that

I'm pretty sure every single one of our older players has been totally cooked in the final year of their long contract, and often we have given them an additional year (or more) on top of that
Some were almost done when they signed them

This time last year we were signing Brad Crouch, so I'll hold fire until it's confirmed.

Yep, with Thilthorpe 50/50 at this stage, unless he plays well in the seniors this week
Not if you play him out of position to ensure he doesn't play well. I would have preferred he plays in the SANFL if they are going to play him on a wing. That's looking likely after they picked Walker, Fogarty, Frampton, Lynch, Thilthorpe in the same team.

I wouldn't go beyond 3 with an option for 4.
That's fair.

I've got more faith in Laird to.continue his good form for longer than any of our other senior players, but 4 is more than enough

4 with an option for 5 is palatable.
Almost certain this is what it would be, the media never seem to get the details like this correct. 4 years with a trigger for a 5th is fine for a two time AA and probably our best player over the last 5 years. Has been very durable too and has shown flexibility with playing midfield. 3 years would be an insult for a player of his caliber.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two-time All-Australian and Malcolm Blight Medallist Rory Laird has signed a five-year contract extension to remain with Adelaide until 2026.

Two-time All-Australian and Malcolm Blight Medallist Rory Laird has signed a five-year contract extension to remain with Adelaide until 2026.

Not fazed by the 5 years, will be 32, durable mid who can play other positions, meh move on. Well done Lairdy! Who is next up?

As long as we don't do it with Crouch

Almost certain this is what it would be, the media never seem to get the details like this correct. 4 years with a trigger for a 5th is fine for a two time AA and probably our best player over the last 5 years. Has been very durable too and has shown flexibility with playing midfield. 3 years would be an insult for a player of his caliber.

We have been stung by long term deals to older players in the past - handed to the wrong players. BUT .....
- Laird has had few injuries, performed to v high level, is a bit stiff not to have 3 AA jackets. Courage personified.
Was a revelation in the midfield last year, with move giving him new impetus. Has a knack of racking up huge possessions. Could poll in top 10 for Brownlow in next few years.
Don’t think we’ll have any regrets here.
I expect Laird’s stocks to rise by half way through this season too!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many times do we need these ridiculously long contracts biting us in the arse, before we learn the lesson?
  • Betts
  • Jenkins
  • Sloane
Need I go on?

*** To be perfectly clear - I 100% applaud the news that the club is looking to re-sign Laird, but 5 ****ing years?

Paying Thommo for another year to run around in the sanfl as well

He wouldn't sign it!
Exactly they initially tabled a 3 year deal according to the media.

Adelaide has tabled a three-year deal for Rory Laird, who will become a free agent at the end of the season.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the 27-year-old wants to stay at the Crows but is looking for longer term security than three seasons.

Laird would be 32 when he comes out of contract if he pens a five-year deal, which is what other clubs will throw at him if he elects to explore his free agency options later in the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back