Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing Im loving hearing from Teague as it was a reason ill go bald early in my life was our turnovers going inside 50. The fact he mentions Fogarty decision making and ball use are fantastic, Williams same thing, Sad and his delivery and dash. Adding onto Martin from last year will be nice to see our forwards get the sherrin on the chest a bit more hopefully
One thing that actually concerned me to a certain extent was Teague saying that Durdin was taking a lot of marks on the lead which is not ideal having your crumbing small forward using up leading space and actually drawing the ball from up field players, wish he was talking about H, McGovern etc doing this rather than a 175cm player.

Really cannot see the club throwing a bottom-ager in Carroll straight into the seniors ahead of a reliable contributor like Newnes or Gibbons, especially when results are going to take precedence over fast-tracking development.

Nor can I see them leaving SPS out, who will probably take that 6th defensive spot you're considering Marchy and Newman for.

Other than that, I doubt you're far off, the remaining changes are mostly personal preference and players that I have trouble splitting.

- Willo most likely plays as well, but if we're being really ruthless with selecting for output he should probably start in the reserves.
- Fogarty probably touch and go, depends on the role. Doubt he gets a spot as a starting mid, but maybe as a forward/mid option from the bench.
- Gov on the wing would be interesting, but I expect he'll just start forward and work up the ground when the ball is in our backline.
- Love to see JSOS in the side, but I'm not confident, especially as I think Gov plays forward.
- If Dow demands selection I'll be very happy. If he then justifies it I'll be ecstatic. Not sure it happens though, purely because I don't see a second position for him and we'll give preference to Cripps/Walsh/Setters/Williams/Ed as the core mids. Prove me wrong, Paddy, I'll ******* love you for it.

Doc, Jones, Plow
Saad, Weiters, SPS
Newnes
, Williams, Walsh
Pittonet, Cripps, Setters
Martin, Casboult, Murph
Gov, McKay, Fisher

I/C: Ed plus (three of: Betts, Fog, Willo, Dow, JSOS, Gibbons, Cunners, Stocker, Durdin)
I don’t expect to many unforced changes down back Saad obviously replaces Simmo, then I think that Newman will come back in and maybe replace Willo who will move to a wing, I suspect that will be it unless Marchy comes up or Parks shows plenty in the pre season hit outs, so just the 2 changes from last years 7 defenders at this stage.

One thing that actually concerned me to a certain extent was Teague saying that Durdin was taking a lot of marks on the lead which is not ideal having your crumbing small forward using up leading space and actually drawing the ball from up field players, wish he was talking about H, McGovern etc doing this rather than a 175cm player.
Maybe they (H, MM, etc) are doing that, but Durdin is also finding space on top of his crumbing work.

Plenty of the great smalls can do both. I don't see it as an issue.

Shouldn’t be too much of a concern as they’re probably grooming him to take over from Eddie Betts as our lead up Centre Half Forward.

:p

I'm so conflicted on Willo.

I love him, and I think persisting with him will only be to his and our benefit in the longer term. But he doesn't have anywhere near as much impact as you'd think based on how frequently he's locked into people's starting sides. Does a couple of flashy things each game, has a few flashy attempts that come unstuck and turn the ball over, and then goes missing for periods.

See some real parallels with Brayden Maynard at the Pies. Was always a little more bark than bite, made plenty of mistakes in trying to do too much. Then over time refined his game to a point where the mongrel helps rather than hinders.

Picking a team to win on the weekend, I think it's Newnes over Willo. But he's also one of a few I don't mind "gifting" games because I think his development really does come from senior game time rather than time spend in the reserves. He doesn't need to build form, per se, he needs to establish what he can and can't get away with.
I think by the end of last year Willo was starting to really open up with his left foot and hit some longer damaging kicks as his confidence grew, I think that was a big reason the coaches pushed him onto the wing in the last round as he can hit up the forwArds from a long way out with very precise and damaging kicks which gets it in there quick to one vs one chances.

He also got forward a number of times and got himself in dangerous spots which along with Walsh on the other wing will add significant scoring opportunities, his left foot could be one of our most damaging weapons next year whether at half back or on a wing.

Definitely, another preseason and year in the system who knows how much better he can become... 👍
Some of his work by foot late in the year was exceptional and off both feet as well, has massive upside still Gibbo and knows how to lower his eyes when looking inside 50.

Not sure how this could be anything but a positive.

If we've got a small forward with the speed and smarts to shake his man and lead into space....holy s**t we're onto a winner. How often do we get torched by small forwards making space on guys like Doc and Plow? Reckon Hinkley was pissed at Robbie Gray for using up leading space and drawing the ball from up-field players?

My general view is that both players would go if they had to go - in relation to putting body on line.
However, I think it is their inability to win the contest when repeated efforts are required. ie. hot contested ball - you'd see Cripps, Curnow, Walsh continually dig into the contest repeated times to win a ball. I don't think SPS or Cuningham have that physical stamina for multiple, repeated efforts in a short time span.
The number 1 strength of these two is ground ball gathers at speed which lends itself to being outside spillage players rather than inside players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how this could be anything but a positive.

If we've got a small forward with the speed and smarts to shake his man and lead into space....holy sh*t we're onto a winner. How often do we get torched by small forwards making space on guys like Doc and Plow? Reckon Hinkley was pissed at Robbie Gray for using up leading space and drawing the ball from up-field players?
It was one of Betts greatest assets IMO.

I'm so conflicted on Willo.

I love him, and I think persisting with him will only be to his and our benefit in the longer term. But he doesn't have anywhere near as much impact as you'd think based on how frequently he's locked into people's starting sides. Does a couple of flashy things each game, has a few flashy attempts that come unstuck and turn the ball over, and then goes missing for periods.

See some real parallels with Brayden Maynard at the Pies. Was always a little more bark than bite, made plenty of mistakes in trying to do too much. Then over time refined his game to a point where the mongrel helps rather than hinders.

Picking a team to win on the weekend, I think it's Newnes over Willo. But he's also one of a few I don't mind "gifting" games because I think his development really does come from senior game time rather than time spend in the reserves. He doesn't need to build form, per se, he needs to establish what he can and can't get away with.

That's what happens when you play just 2 games in your second and third years and have a lock down job to do as well.

To me his upside is just too big to ignore and as he gets games under his belts the flashy things will become more common and the errors will become fewer. Last year he had 5 games with 13 or more possessions, 3 of them in the last 4 weeks, he is building nicely and if he is released onto a wing he should thrive.

"Picking a team to win on the weekend, I think it's Newnes over Willo."

FWIW 2020 stats
Willo averaged 10.5 disposals to Newnes 13.
Willo averaged 2.1 clangers to Newnes 2.0
Willo averaged 1.7 turnovers to Newnes 2.7
Willo averaged 71.4% DE to Newnes 68.5%

Last edited:
When one of the lucky ones get to training I am really interested in the development of a couple of young fellas. Stocker, Honey and Philp. All have elite attributes that could see them have an impact at AFL level.

Stocker - hard ball gets/elite kicking (both sides).
Honey - explosiveness and power.
Philp -elite speed over 20 metres.

Please keep an eye out and add to your reports as I’ve heard nothing at all of the latter two and feel all three could be hidden gems.

Cheers.

When one of the lucky ones get to training I am really interested in the development of a couple of young fellas. Stocker, Honey and Philp. All have elite attributes that could see them have an impact at AFL level.

Stocker - hard ball gets/elite kicking (both sides).
Honey - explosiveness and power.
Philp -elite speed over 20 metres.

Please keep an eye out and add to your reports as I’ve heard nothing at all of the latter two and feel all three could be hidden gems.

Cheers.
After last week I'm not sure anyone will get to training for a while.

There's a closed intraclub against * on Thursday, hopefully we'll get some good writeups from the club and the journalists that get to attend, as well as some footage.

After that we've go the official preseason game against the Saints the following Thursday, which should be a pretty good indication of how we're shaping/structuring/selecting for round 1.

Not sure Stocker is a hidden gem, his name gets brought up a hell of a lot for a guy who played 5 games in 2019, plus the whole first live trade thing.

You're right though, I can't remember hearing/reading Honey or Philp's name anywhere except esoteric's little piece of fan fiction. I'm not banking on either of them getting a heap of games this year, feel like they're a fair way down the pecking order. At least they've got a genuinely good reserves system, our own team playing real footy not 12v12, so they'll have an opportunity to develop, improve and potentially stake a claim to play seniors.

Mitch McGovern hamstring "set back" per Mark Stevens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back