Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

So maybe Russell is increasing his strength (particularly around his injury) without increasing weight...its possible.

Sure is ... Heavy weights low reps USUALLY build mass

Low weights or resistance with high reps builds strength.

In MOST cases. There are exceptions however to the rule.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades

Quite possibly I'm wrong, but I thought it was the complete opposite.

Less reps + greater weight = Gain strength
More reps + lower weight = Gain size

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Legit question: Is an increase in strength necessarily attributed to increase in weight?
Yeah not necessarily, but in Cripps' case I would expect his body shape will be a little different (like 5%) from last year and took Russell's comments to mean less lean, more 'size' to help bully in the middle again.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah its possible to gain strength without gaining size but its a whole lot easier to gain strength via putting on weight. Theres a reason the worlds strongest men are 150kg plus and not lean 85kg monsters. 150kgs aside, putting on/taking off 3-4 kgs either way makes a monumental difference in how you perform whether it be in ur agility, explosiveness or endurance.

Crippa back to his 2019 size is a big yes to me, surround him with runners and let him brute force his way around the middle and get back to the player opponents had sleepless nights about

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Also depends on the speed of reps.

Explosive concentric contraction and slow eccentric contraction can give the best of both worlds.

Yes. Wrong.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Yes. Wrong.
Lifting heavier weight (approximately 70-75% of your one-rep max) activates Type 2 or “fast twitch” muscle fibers, which are important in developing strength.

A high-rep/lighter-weight workout activates a different type of muscle fiber: Type 1. Also called “slow twitch” muscle fibers, they have less power than Type 2 but are size-based and much slower to fatigue.

I carried two young kids one on each shoulder that got heavier each day years ago with dozens of reps and only got worn out..............

Blue and Blue - lower back (1-2 nevers)

Last edited:

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow

More reps, less weight develops longer, leaner muscle mass.
Less reps, more weight builds strength and muscle bulk.

The latter serves little gain in AFL because larger muscle is slower to move/respond. Unles you are playing a power KPP role which is basically gone from teams now as endurance is king.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Yeah its possible to gain strength without gaining size but its a whole lot easier to gain strength via putting on weight. Theres a reason the worlds strongest men are 150kg plus and not lean 85kg monsters. 150kgs aside, putting on/taking off 3-4 kgs either way makes a monumental difference in how you perform whether it be in ur agility, explosiveness or endurance.

Crippa back to his 2019 size is a big yes to me, surround him with runners and let him brute force his way around the middle and get back to the player opponents had sleepless nights about
Good call. With more speed around the ball, his powerful presence and exit handball are potentially more potent.

Also completely dependent on what each body type can accommodate, but that wasn't what was originally discussed ....

Kernafides

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Old Social Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague giving Dow the 3 votes for the best afield on the first day of training tells me he has made some improvements, also mentioned how good his kicking was which as we all know is his main area of need in terms of improvement, his need to improve his endurance would be cruelling his need to add body size as well I would think.

No for me his main area of improvement is intensity and work rate. Doesn't hunt the footy for mine or work hard enough defensively. Here's hoping he can make that mental switch this year

Back