Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Was expecting more training information and discussion over the last 10 pages.

Respect that people want to hash out strategy and depth charts, but there are threads for those, aren't there?

Don't exactly have much training info and footage to discuss though, do we?

One training report from someone who got given their marching orders after 20 mins.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Feel like some should (re)watch this re: SPS

Pre-season preview | Where will Samo play? (carltonfc.com.au)

• Predominantly HBF
  • now had a full 12 months in the backline, played the last 6 games in '19 plus all last year
  • game has really grown: was an instinctive 'number player' who could use the ball well, now stronger in the contest and can defend really well
  • they've added to his defensive capabilities that they now feel comfortable with him playing a deeper role (more def accountability) if required
  • can/will also do short 5-6 minute bursts up the ground when needed - great natural feel for the game, executes where ever he plays
  • his role crucial to us down back
  • there's learning curve, getting the balance right etc, he was initially focusing too much on improving his def duties which impacted his natural game. started to get more comfortable with the balance at the end of last year which freed him up
  • Amos really excited by him and expecting him to have big impact

(it's a 'preseason preview' video so this ain't derailing or posting in the wrong thread!)

• Predominantly HBF
  • now had a full 12 months in the backline, played the last 6 games in '19 plus all last year
  • game has really grown: was an instinctive 'number player' who could use the ball well, now stronger in the contest and can defend really well
  • they've added to his defensive capabilities that they now feel comfortable with him playing a deeper role (more def accountability) if required
  • can/will also do short 5-6 minute bursts up the ground when needed - great natural feel for the game, executes where ever he plays
  • there's learning curve, getting the balance right etc, he was initially focusing too much on improving his def duties which impacted his natural game. started to get more comfortable with the balance at the end of last year which freed him up

(it's a 'preseason preview' video so this ain't derailing or posting in the wrong thread!)

Perfect content for this thread.

Great stuff, CJ.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
It stuns me that Marchbank’s position as a potential key position defender is still being considered a reliable option. He is NOT strong enough or athletically agile enough (a la Grimes) to compete one v one against big forwards. He won’t become strong enough either. He doesn’t have the frame. Doesn’t have the leg power. Stop looking at his height and thinking ‘oh he’s tall enough’. He’s a terrific endurance athlete. His pace is decent. He does read the play well as an interceptor, has nice hands above his head and he has great courage.

He’s not a lock down disciplined type (a la Plow). He’s never never never going to be reliably one of the 2 key defenders.

He’s a very competent third tall. Nothing more. Nothing less. As far as backline goes. He could be an interesting project as a wingman (due to running ability and size). But I wouldn’t bet on it.

I’d bet on him being third tall. And just forget all the other debates.

We need to recruit a key defender next summer. Not try and make Marchbank something he isn’t.

Could this possibly be the last time we have to recycle this debate? Like.....PLEASEEEEEEE??????
Bolded is basically everything you need to be a key defender, ala Grimes like you've said.

• Predominantly HBF

We have such an attacking backline.
Who is our primary lockdown player, especially for smalls - Plowman or SPS?
It won't be Doc or Saad

SPS didn't lose the uncontested possession count for the side - the midfield did and in doing so allowed opposition time and space to deliver to their forwards' advantage - and quick 4-5 goal turnarounds ensued. We lost the game against Brisbane because no one was running with Richie who slotted a few from 55 meters out. We got slaughtered on the outside by Collingwood because Teague allowed Stephenson to run rampant on the day. Same in the game against Melbourne - where we allowed them to get to a 42 point ( 6 goal !!) start.

I am not convinced that the coaching team at Carlton understands between the arcs play - there was little evidence of any well-drilled movement back or forward and it took Teague far too many games to figure out that Setterfield isn't a wingman. It is my only real area of concern based on '20 performances and I hope the coaches have had a long hard look at how we were so easily able to be smashed between the arcs - and fix it.

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
We have such an attacking backline.
Who is our primary lockdown player, especially for smalls - Plowman or SPS?
It won't be Doc or Saad
fPxVpROy.jpg

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Fair enough, i thought he had a solid year... I think and expect him too really go next level next year particularly with more midfield time, be interesting where how the club see’s his output in this years B&F...
Should be top 10 easily...
He had an excellent year till he was injured and tried to get back and was re-injured. Would expect him to be top 5 in B & F.

mrjones

All Australian
Nov 27, 2009
South East Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Took the Big Footy “Hot Air” Baloon out to have peek at training.
As the photo shows LOB is clearly not up to it, pulling out of contests.
Harry’s Kicking has improved since the Etch n Sketch incident.
SPS is struggling to work out whether he is meant to be in back half or in the middle and is waiting on a BF poll that will sort this out.
Was a strong Wind today so only got the one shot away but some real insight into today’s session.
1612408031448.jpeg

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Took the Big Footy “Hot Air” Baloon out to have peek at training.
As the photo shows LOB is clearly not up to it, pulling out of contests.
Harry’s Kicking has improved since the Etch n Sketch incident.
SPS is struggling to work out whether he is meant to be in back half or in the middle and is waiting on a BF poll that will sort this out.
Was a strong Wind today so only got the one shot away but some real insight into today’s session.
View attachment 1051119
How did Charlie look? Is he done?

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe a little harsh, but if this is true then I’d look to trade out SPS. I hope it’s not though.

Just because he may not become a gun mid does not mean he won’t become a very important player for us. I thought he did well at hbf considering he was only new to the role.

We are about to play Williams as a midfielder after 8 years at half back.
I think it can work.

That’s a great point. I do believe SPS has the ability and just may struggle to run out games over a season, which are question marks for Williams too.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Don't exactly have much training info and footage to discuss though, do we?

One training report from someone who got given their marching orders after 20 mins.
Great, but there's the list management thread, the 22 thread, and even a thread about our depth. Accessibility can suck on this forum when the regulars get sucked into tangential arguments.

rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Philadelphia 76ers
Great, but there's the list management thread, the 22 thread, and even a thread about our depth. Accessibility can suck on this forum when the regulars get sucked into tangential arguments.
Yep. Too frustrating coming back a few times a week to find the primary thread of interest in disarray.

Absolutely cannot wait for footy!

And you're getting this when?

Back