Kernafides

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Old Social Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Balta, Rance, Astbury

Barrass, McGovern, Schofield

I agree it's more about the collective, but we are thin in that area, if we suffer injuries, which we have. Lose Weitering or Jones, we are in trouble. The other thing is players like Marchbank don't have the body or the natural aggression of a Grimes or Broad

2 blokes on that list don't play anymore and Balta is 1 cm taller than Plow. My point was we can pinch hit if needed by dropping a cas or mitch back or maybe willo back from wing if that ends up happening. I'd prefer that than bringing in Goddard or Macreadie whose delistings started this " we're in trouble with kpd" stuff

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
2 blokes on that list don't play anymore and Balta is 1 cm taller than Plow. My point was we can pinch hit if needed by dropping a cas or mitch back or maybe willo back from wing if that ends up happening. I'd prefer that than bringing in Goddard or Macreadie whose delistings started this " we're in trouble with kpd" stuff

Balta is 195, more athletic and robust than Marchbank. They also have Miller and others waiting in the wings

With Schofield gone, Edwards, who is now nearly 200cm will partner Barrass, McGovern at 195 can play as a 3rd tall if needed. They also have Brander that can be used if needed

This is what succession plans look like from some of the top sides, just like others at the pointy end

We have the thinnest spine in the league, even without injuries

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Reckon against * we’ll see might even everyone who’s fit get at least a bit of a run.

Yep thats the best thing about practice matches (and not pre-season) - unlimited numbers (both clubs would agree to the numbers if need be) - run them all out there, limits the game time first up for all as well

Kernafides

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Old Social Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Balta is 195, more athletic and robust than Marchbank. They also have Miller and others waiting in the wings

With Schofield gone, Edwards, who is now nearly 200cm will partner Barrass, McGovern at 195 can play as a 3rd tall if needed. The also have Brander that can be used if needed

This is what succession plans look like from some of the top sides, just like others at the pointy end

Perhaps but OMac is not the answer....either were the guys we delisted. My point with Richmond is they don't have huge monsters. It is the team pressure that puts heat on the ball coming in that assists against taller fwds

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Perhaps but OMac is not the answer....either were the guys we delisted. My point with Richmond is they don't have huge monsters. It is the team pressure that puts heat on the ball coming in that assists against taller fwds

Never said DMac was the answer, he is break glass option, all sides need them.

Generally I will always go best available, but this is purely about needs in an area of concern

Again, Tigers have more naturally aggressive talls, Astbury and Balta at 195, Grimes, Broad around 192 ish. Behind them, Miller, Nyuon can play back

Forgetting Tigers for the moment, every other contender this year has more options at KPD, than we do.

Let's forget about "at a pinch", and focus on rectifying the shortfall.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
either way doesnt matter - clubs will work on what they want to work on regardless of the scores
True, but we're probably more likely to see more of the kids/fringe players in an extended game. From memory last year the first 4 quarters were basically permutations of the top 26 or so players while the 'extra quarters' moved fringe players into positions of more responsibility and saw some of the 27+ players get a run.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Never said DMac was the answer, he is break glass option, all sides need them.

Generally I will always go best available, but this is purely about needs in an area of concern

Again, Tigers have more naturally aggressive talls, Astbury and Balta at 195, Grimes, Broad around 192 ish. Behind them, Miller, Nyuon can play back

Forgetting Tigers for the moment, every other contender this year has more options at KPD, than we do.

Let's forget about "at a pinch", and focus on rectifying the shortfall.
We can talk about it till we are blue in the face. Not much can be done about it till the end of the season.

We do have a spot open (maybe more if we go lti route), but the pickings are slim right now.

Who knows, someone might stand up in the 2nd tier comps and be picked up in the mid season SSP that we may like. Though that is far from a given.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
We can talk about it till we are blue in the face. Not much can be done about it till the end of the season.

We do have a spot open (maybe more if we go lti route), but the pickings are slim right now.

Who knows, someone might stand up in the 2nd tier comps and be picked up in the mid season SSP that we may like. Though that is far from a given.
Yep. Give McDonald a spot for the year, keep an eye out just incase some tall bastard somewhere puts his hand up for the MS SSP but predominantly look to the FA, trade & draft periods at the end of the year to address it.

Seems like 9th of March is the cutoff date for signing so we'll probably know after the StK preseason game (if not before).

Last edited:

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner

With Schofield gone, Edwards, who is now nearly 200cm will partner Barrass, McGovern at 195 can play as a 3rd tall if needed. The also have Brander that can be used if needed

I saw the report on Edwards growing to 200cm and having a really strong pre season which is good for us if he keeps Brander from cementing a spot it makes it more likely we can make a play for him at the end of the year. 😁

Crippa#9

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s hard to see who starts round 1 but I can’t help but think Cottrell is close to a call up. His energy and tank could be a massive asset against the Tigers move it forward at all cost game plan.
Spitballing a bit but he could make difference in stopping Dusty getting any real momentum.

Don’t mind throwing a few left field option but if we think Cottrell could be the man to stop Dusty we may as well forfeit.

Koutamightafides

All Australian
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Don’t mind throwing a few left field option but if we think Cottrell could be the man to stop Dusty we may as well forfeit.
Might be unpopular opinion or just plain silly or both even but how would Cottrell and Ed go on the wings with Cripps , Walsh and Williams in the guts with Setters on the bench as the rotation for these guys ? Just a thought .

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Might be unpopular opinion or just plain silly or both even but how would Cottrell and Ed go on the wings with Cripps , Walsh and Williams in the guts with Setters on the bench as the rotation for these guys ? Just a thought .

Think we start running into disposal issues on both wings in that scenario. Neither Cottrell nor Ed are terrible users, but they're not much better than average. Think we need better than average.

One or the other as a defensive winger is probably fine, provided they're balanced by someone like LoB coming on in a big way.

Aug 17, 2016
GOLD COAST
AFL Club
Carlton
See here's the thing - Gov has had injury issues too, including a broken back last preseason if I remember rightly.

And while there are plenty who like to bemoan the wasted money and list spot....none of them did the same for Docherty when he missed two seasons straight. I doubt anyone here even contemplated the issue of how much salary cap space was lost on him.

Ditto Charlie. He's got a high ceiling so everyone is just hanging for him to get fit so we can unleash him and win flags.

Gov? Injury prone, unfit, wasted list spot, wasted money....

Different standards for different players, it seems.
Ye Gov unfortunately has been quoted on here as never actually reaching full Afl fitness at any stage due to his injury issues...certainly that seems somewhat feasible viewing his condition...
Marchbank also actually has not done that much and appears also to be an injury accumulator....obviously at a different level to Gov however seen very little value from him.......i am a fan and am very disappointed thus far

Koutamightafides

All Australian
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Think we start running into disposal issues on both wings in that scenario. Neither Cottrell nor Ed are terrible users, but they're not much better than average. Think we need better than average.

One or the other as a defensive winger is probably fine, provided they're balanced by someone like LoB coming on in a big way.
Cheers mate appreciate your insight .

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
That's the attitude! :hearteyes:

There are no excuses any more. We're not happy with honourable losses or 'We were in the game, but we lost it'. That's out the door.

We're here to play finals football and we ultimately want to win the flag so our group is at the stage where if we don't [play finals] we haven't had a good year. Make no mistake, that's our goal for this year and if we don't achieve that then we'll be really disappointed.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
That's the attitude! :hearteyes:

So in the offseason McKay has got himself a sport psych as well as those analytical sport scientists (or whatever) to work on his running...

That's a lot of extra homework he's set himself. All that combined with us being a better team and having better delivery forward might make this the year he explodes.

Back