Status
Not open for further replies.

FreoBraddles

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Early notes...
No sign of Joel Hamling - he was still in Darwin yesterday however.
Duman running laps, his wrist still in a splint from surgery.
Tucker with the rehab guys doing some 1 on 1 work. He is still a physical specimen, moving without any difficulty too.

Wilson back at training early.

Started straight with ball work - skills looking good but very little pressure.

Hi Everyone

Slight change to threads again.

Because pre-season reports are awesome, they need to be easily reached and seen by everyone.

This thread will be for posting all pre-season reports, the will be strictly no discussion within this thread, please feel free to quote and reference as needed.

In addition, serious pre-season reports are above reproach 99% of the time. IF you dont like a post, its too cheery or too negative, you are welcome to head down to training and provide your own report that is more in line with your views.

Attacking posters for a pre-season report you dont agree with will not be tolerated.

FreoBraddles

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Training Recap

Team spent just over an hour on the track today with mostly ball work which is great to see and seems to be a trademark of preseason with JL.

Once on the field a quick warmup with run throughs of the ground, before switching into a bunch of ball movement drills. Skills were looking sharp for day one, but it needs to be said that the pressure element was very low in the drills.

After about an hour they switched to some more full ground run throughs which a bunch of the coaches joined in for.

After this most players stayed out and did 15 or so minutes of skills relevant to their positions - goa kicking, tucking etc. Those coming back from season ending injuries - Young, Logue, Switta went straight to the gym at this point.

Duman ran laps for most of the session with his wrist still in a splint following surgery - thankfully this won't interrupt his fitness base so once out of the splint can rejoin the main group straight away.

Tucker did one on one work with a few of the rehab staff - he looks very lean again this year. Lots of running and didn't look at all hampered by his hamstring injury - should be looking to return to full training with the main group in early January.

Wilson, Blakely, Tucker and Ryan those who made an early return today despite not being due back until January.

Giro, Valente, Cox and Freddy unsighted - but all still stuck in Adelaide due to border closures.

Didn't see Sturt - but he had post season surgery. Not sure if he was the one player who could be seen doing rehab in the gym.

No sight of Hamling.

No sight of Hugh Dixon with the club confirming he hasn't been invited to train with the club.

Any questions ask away and I'll try to answer.

bruzaar62

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Few swapping in and out of drills including hamling and Watson but both seem to be moving well.tucker just kick to kick and bit of running -kicking well,big unit.duman no contact work but some other drills(1handed).reece conca pumping laps,Logue in beast mode ,leading sprints,pushing off/breaking tackles easily vs meek ,in for massive year if no injuries.serong does everything well as does young who doesn’t miss targets on both feet.liam Henry has filled out a bit and was consistently leading the repeat 200 metres followed by Logue and young,Henry’s kicking on par with youngs-should be much more AFL fit for this year.blakelys kicking looked fine and Darcy defo dropped a few kegs and moving well

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure this is the best clip to show ball movement at training. Started strong but yeah a bit rusty... Kick the ball to a ruck over a handball to his feet perhaps?

FreoBraddles

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
TRAINING RECAP - MONDAY DECEMBER 13.

The players made their way onto the oval at 945 , under the watchful eye of the new recruits who had been talking to some club officials on the side of the oval.

A 20 minute warm up running laps and some light kick to kick went by before the players jumped into drills.

-----

Bewley and Tucker where the two mainstays in the rehab group for the whole session - joined by Duman (still recovering from wrist surgery with a splint on his hand) and Hayden Young who where held out of the drills and only did the running with the main group. Hamling joined the guys in rehab instead of some of the running - but then moved back to partake in the drills. Walters has returned early and worked with the rehab guys - easing himself back into training rather than nursing an injury. Walters also didn't have tape on his knee for the first time in a few years and was very vocal in encouraging those in the main group as he did a very easy session. Sturt the only one not only the field - working on a stationary bike and scooter mixing it up with the battle ropes.

The pleasing news is that all the guys currently working at times with the rehab group are expected to be ready to train with the main group when we return on January 6th.

-----

The new recruits watched on from the sidelines, then did a walk by for the media's benefit (Genuinely - they asked the club to have them walk past so they could get photos/video) before going into the gym. They had their medical screening today and will join training from Wednesday.

With all the talk of Treacy's size it has to be said that standing next to him Chapman didn't look much smaller and both are good sized units for 18 year olds.

-----

First drill saw the players 'bash and crash' there way out of a contested situation, move the ball to the outside of the pack and hit a leading target inside 50. Some run throughs they managed to do so quickly, others took a bit more time but each time that I saw they successfully got the ball out and to the coach who was leading in the forward line.

Second drill was a full ground ball movement drill from D50 to F50. Player from D50 would kick to a coach on the wing, who would knock the ball down for a player to run through 'front and square' to collect the loose ground ball and kick to a leading target inside 50. Other players would then yell instructions like quick switch or pull back as the player would kick to the player on the defensive side to keep the drill cycling along. All players where VERY vocal in this drill.

Admittedly at this point is where I did start talking to a few of the others who had come to watch training plus one of the club staffers so didn't follow the training quite as much.

Other drills focused on moving the ball from centre/wing to the forward line.

After about 60 minutes of drills they did another set of run throughs to finish the session. After the session ended several players remained on the field - forwards working on goal kicking, mids doing some skills work before heading inside.

-----

Overall, similar to last week the skills from most where pretty strong but the defensive pressure element wasn't overly present.

Leno Thomas did make a few errors in the full ground drill - with Walters yelling encouragement his way.

You could notice an element of disappointment on each players face when they did miss the target on a kick.

Cerra oozes class and continues to make it seem like time slows down when he has the ball.

Logue looking like a beast again.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Bit of Duff

Attachments

• 5649DD97-EBE7-4E18-BDAD-837793A0719E.png
    5649DD97-EBE7-4E18-BDAD-837793A0719E.png
    894.1 KB · Views: 836

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I went and had a look at training on Wednesday morning. They had two groups of 10 players at each end of the ground only, whilst others including Sonny Walters were spotted in the gym.

As the ground is off limits to all members of the public, I stood with a small group of training regulars at the Eastern side of the ground, which meant that we had close access to the group which featured Dave Mundy, Nat Fyfe, Blake Acres, Nathan Wilson, Brennan Cox and Griffen Logue, and this group was overseen by Josh Carr.

Being a day that was expected to reach 41 degrees, I am happy to say that instead of pounding out the laps, the boys were given ample opportunity to practice their goal kicking skills from the egde of 50m arc instead. I must also say that Fyfe and Mundy looked great and moved really well.

There was little to no contact, as the boys were doing simple drills like training kick in's from the goal line. One drill was to kick using the non-preferred foot with no players allowed to then mark the ball. So when the ball hit the ground, the players then had to collect the loose ball and move it forward using 5 onto 5 player match ups.

Fyfey spotted us and came over and wished us all a Happy New Year. After that the heat became too unbearable and the water slide was calling my name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I will try to find time later today do a bit of a report.
But here are some photos for now.

Attachments

• 20210122_113705.jpg
    20210122_113705.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 348
  • 20210122_113704.jpg
    20210122_113704.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 347
  • 20210122_113003.jpg
    20210122_113003.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 337
  • 20210122_112804.jpg
    20210122_112804.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 336
  • 20210122_103544.jpg
    20210122_103544.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 331
  • 20210122_112512.jpg
    20210122_112512.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 338

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
There may be a few things thrown in from last week as well.
The first kicking drill was thing of beauty. The group near me went for about 10 minutes almost faultlessly .
Unfortunately once they started kicking to leading forwards it was not so impressive. However, I though Fredericks, Young and Serong were good.
Strong is just so good, a few times those quick hands set up a chain of smooth ball movement.
In the match sim Young's kicking was outstanding. It became obvious they were trying get the ball into his hands.
Working out who the other 5 defenders are is going to be difficult.
Last week I saw Fredericks ( Rick is his nick name at the club) take a couple nice contested marks. This week he was moving into good areas, kicking really nicely.
Might not be best 22 yet, but is looking good.
Western looks ok playing with the big boys, but maybe not this year.
Treacy kick a great goal in the match sim, he is a very nice kick either short passing or kicking on goal. Last week was having no trouble from
50 out. Looks a little off the pace , it might take a few weeks to adjust to playing against men.
Edit: ok just read the Freo match report may have been a bit better than I thought.
Schultz copped a Fyfe and Cerra (?) sandwich. Came off not looking to good.
Mitch took out Willo, who then limped off. It didn't look to bad.
Hale stared at the start of the match sim . Meek worked his way back into the game, but he was playing against a 37 (?) year old.

Last edited:

FreoBraddles

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Before you hear incorrect reporting.
Serong went down at training today, there was plenty of immediate concern - someone in a suit even running onto the field to check on him.

Got up looking groggy - came back after 10 or so minutes ran a lap and returned to training. Calf is now strapped but doesn't seem to be in immediate discomfort.

Sent a shock through the place and it was eerily quiet except for a few training watchers cries of 'f***' but doesn't look like anything that will be of concern.

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Got down to training today and best news that I can report is that Joel Hamling, Alex Pearce, Hayden Young and Sonny Walters all trained fully.

The rehab group consisted of Stefan Giro, Griffin Logue, Stephen Hill and Taylin Duman.

Great to see the match sims in full force with umpires in attendance.

Those in the gym doing light work were Brandon Walker and Sean Darcy.

A good solid session with no real standouts.

Brennan Cox did cop a head knock during the match sims and was taken off as a precaution. He then ran laps for the rest of the session.

Last edited:

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok, I was hoping someone else would do a report.
**Logue, Hill, O'Driscoll, Duman, Giro, Walters and Sturt were all in the rehab group. All of them seemed to be running comfortably.
**Serong trained well, however did have a pressure bandage on.
** Didn't see Wilson while I was there.
** Meek training with Sandi.
** Young had a very light day.
Hope all is ok. He did some kicking and a very light tackling drill. Probably load management.
**At the end of training Chapman was doing one on one forward work under the watchful eye of Longmuir.

Attachments

• 20210127_111100.jpg
    20210127_111100.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 198
  • 20210127_111045.jpg
    20210127_111045.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 201
  • 20210127_110744.jpg
    20210127_110744.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 209
  • 20210127_100157.jpg
    20210127_100157.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 197
  • 20210127_095621.jpg
    20210127_095621.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 192
  • 20210127_095503.jpg
    20210127_095503.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 198
  • 20210127_095316.jpg
    20210127_095316.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 200

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I spent most of the time talking to a couple old mates I bumped into.
But I will make two points.
Meek will need to improve a lot if he going a get a game on merit.
Hale, Cox, and Lobb all looked better, both in ruck and around the ground.
This was a brutal session.
Starting with a few drills, then a four quarter match sim. ( probably 15 minute quarters, but no breaks between goals and such). Ending in at least 30 minutes of hard physical training. Mids did resistance running.
20210130_073258.jpg

While the forwards did lead up marking as a group. As they jogged back to the goals the backs pushed, bumped and blocked them.
Snuffaluphagus

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did Treacy play deep forward?
Only watched a half, at times fyle was deep and look great. When fyle moved about Treacy become the main target.
Also I was parked in top car park , when Treacy kicked two or three goals in the last quarter he was at the other end. He read the play well and his second efforts were great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back