Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

The best thing about this vid is that its been made by a cats nuffy to prove our dastardly cheating tactics and steal a premiership that was righfully theirs. That game is permanently in every cats fans heads, for ever and ever. Amen.
And my response to the cats fans (those that call themselves 'my mates'); this was a smart & great tactical strategy to frustrate those steroids injected Geelong players.:cool:

Clarko didnt even want Buddy to be "the man" back in '13.
I am pretty sure that game plan died for us 7 or 8 years ago now.

I believe that was more having our hand forced by the Franklin situation, Clarko was being diligent and preparing the team for him potentially leaving.

Franklin was such a weapon up the ground too, so no matter where he was playing he was dangerous.

He really changed it up to battle teams like Geelong. It didn't matter with any other side really, but Geelong had great defenders like Scarlett, Lonergan and Taylor who could all play on Franklin individually and also play the team game.

Clarko said today in an interview that Finn wasn't getting a game in the midfield ahead of Shiels, and needed to work on his outside game as a result.

We cant have Shiels performing like he did last year and stifling the development of blokes like Finn. Before you know it you've got another Stratton fiasco on your hands.

Good lord no. Shiels had a bad year and had some absolute stinkers (inc. not showing up at all in the two worst losses of the season - Geelong and Essendon). If Clarko is going to pick him all season then Shiels better turn it around.

Last edited:

Good lord no. Shiels had a bad year and had some absolute stinkers (not showing up at all in the two worst losses of the season - Geelong and Essendon). If Clarko is going to pick him all season then Shiels better turn it around.
Yeah shield was ver inconsistent and regularly below his best last year. I think a lot of that was injury but hard to know for sure. Clarko has to be prepared to drop him if his form isn’t up to it. We simply can’t carry senior players through form slumps or injuries anymore.

Him not winning the Brownlow for 08 was a ******* travesty

That was a joke, just absolutely ridiculous and permanently cemented the chaz as a midfielders award.

Cooney: 25.5 touches, 3.9 marks, 0.9 goals and 2.9 tackles

Buddy: 15.3 touches, 6.3 marks, 4.5 goals and 2 tackles.

Even the sport that is dominated by one position more than any other sport - QB's in the NFL - has had more recent non-QB MVP's. In fact since the last time a non-midfielder won the Brownlow, which was Scott Wynd in 1992, there have been 7 total non-QB winners (granted a few were joint winners alongside a QB).

Any proper whipping boy list needs to have O'Meara's name on it. Look at the result of his kicks in the intraclub game footage. We're not going to win games with that sort of dross.
Agreed - but no need for whipping posts on any player. I don't read you whipping players, just giving a differing opinion :thumbsu:
Hopefully we have learnt from the past as it seems a bit like the Josh Kennedy scenario before we lost him. Don’t want to see that again!

Gotta give Finn some opportunity/games to develop and as a carrot. Craving for a big, strong inside mid who regularly gets the pill first.
Agreed.
We had one of the greatest midfields of all time keeping JK out. It is a completely different situation.

If Finn is good enough, he’ll get games.
The only real difference is that Finn knows Shiels, and others, haven't got a decade of Clarko preference left, and that the current midfield is just so vanilla that it needs a rocket up the arse, what is best for HFC going forward is the real question?

Our coach does need to get out of his "pets" selection mode. Which I think is the point the poster was making, I could be wrong of course.

they are not "Whipping Boys" they are poorly performing players, get it right please.

hopefully they improve or get replaced, i have no preference for either.

on the other point, im also excited by the unknown/youth coming through, exciting times no matter the results this year, feels like we are finally building up to something again which im happy to see.
They aren’t the whipping boys right now. I was only highlighting who I think I will be having a gripe about. Other than those guys, and it’s really a stretch to isolate them btw, it’s going to be a ripper season I believe

Agreed - but no need for whipping posts on any player. I don't read you whipping players, just giving a differing opinion :thumbsu:

Agreed.

The only real difference is that Finn knows Shiels, and others, haven't got a decade of Clarko preference left, and that the current midfield is just so vanilla that it needs a rocket up the arse, what is best for HFC going forward is the real question?

Our coach does need to get out of his "pets" selection mode. Which I think is the point the poster was making, I could be wrong of course.
The best thing for the club is to work to a strategy and a system and not throw it out the window because a player has a famous hawthorn name. For 15 years, the club has always had the philosophy of playing the best person available to a specific role, and having an even mix of experience and youth. If a kid is banging down the door, they’ll get their chance, but they won’t be gifted games if they haven’t done enough on the track or in the 2s. This idea of “pets” is completely overplayed.

And my response to the cats fans (those that call themselves 'my mates'); this was a smart & great tactical strategy to frustrate those steroids injected Geelong players.:cool:

If Geelong really was doped up during their glory years (there are certainly some huge red flags associated with that era) I can't help but think that their continual failure to land a flag in the past years is karma related.

For the record I don't think they will win it this year either, teams like Brisbane, Bulldogs etc have younger, hungrier players with really healthy lists. Geelong have brought in some massive talents in Cameron, Smith and Higgins but they need those three to gel really quickly with the current team - never an easy task

If Geelong really was doped up during their glory years (there are certainly some huge red flags associated with that era) I can't help but think that their continual failure to land a flag in the past years is karma related.

For the record I don't think they will win it this year either, teams like Brisbane, Bulldogs etc have younger, hungrier players with really healthy lists. Geelong have brought in some massive talents in Cameron, Smith and Higgins but they need those three to gel really quickly with the current team - never an easy task
Geelong will ALWAYS be the Daniel Kowolski of AFL. Always the bridesmaid and never the bride 😂

The best thing for the club is to work to a strategy and a system and not throw it out the window because a player has a famous hawthorn name. For 15 years, the club has always had the philosophy of playing the best person available to a specific role, and having an even mix of experience and youth. If a kid is banging down the door, they’ll get their chance, but they won’t be gifted games if they haven’t done enough on the track or in the 2s. This idea of “pets” is completely overplayed.
I don't want to derail the thread, but I simply don't agree that this has been the case, for quite awhile now.

Our lack of trying Moore last year (barring the very last game) in a dead season, as just one example, over a non factor in Shiels last year is just one example that your threoy is not true, even though it has every merit.

Taking a "risk" at selection has never been Clarko's way, so it is a classic case of playing favorites, hidden under the guise of "safety".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want to derail the thread, but I simply don't agree that this has been the case, for quite awhile now.

Our lack of trying Moore last year (barring the very last game) in a dead season, as just one example, over a non factor in Shiels last year is just one example that your threoy is not true, even though it has every merit.

Taking a "risk" at selection has never been Clarko's way, so it is a classic case of playing favorites, hidden under the guise of "safety".
I think you’re making a giant presumptive leap re “favourites”, with limited information on what’s happening behind the scenes, at training, match ups and specific roles not to mention the countless other factors a player may or may not be picked.

I’ll put it to you this way. In the last 20 years, name a player who’s development was stifled and potential cut short due to Clarko playing favourites? Of all draftees who never really broke through, almost all of them have ended up plying their trade in the VAFA or suburban leagues... Can’t think of any that caused any regret beyond JK.

I think you’re making a giant presumptive leap re “favourites”, with limited information on what’s happening behind the scenes, at training, match ups and specific roles not to mention the countless other factors a player may or may not be picked.

I’ll put it to you this way. In the last 20 years, name a player who’s development was stifled and potential cut short due to Clarko playing favourites? Of all draftees who never really broke through, almost all of them have ended up plying their trade in the VAFA or suburban leagues... Can’t think of any that caused any regret beyond JK.

Would Menegola count as someone he had on our list never got a go then broke through for a very good AFL career ?

There's a fair bit of angst about Liam Shiels' role in the team due to his poor 2020. I've thought for a while he might be good as a defensive forward on one of the opposition's rebounding defenders, a bit like the job Jordan Lewis, did on Heath Shaw way back when. Shiels is a tackling machine, is selfless, is a very strong mark for his size and his kicking over the last couple of years is much improved. I don't know if there would be a permanent spot for him there but it's something I'd like to see.

There's a fair bit of angst about Liam Shiels' role in the team due to his poor 2020. I've thought for a while he might be good as a defensive forward on one of the opposition's rebounding defenders, a bit like the job Jordan Lewis, did on Heath Shaw way back when. Shiels is a tackling machine, is selfless, is a very strong mark for his size and his kicking over the last couple of years is much improved. I don't know if there would be a permanent spot for him there but it's something I'd like to see.
His kicking over the last few years is certainly improved. And for goal.

Would Menegola count as someone he had on our list never got a go then broke through for a very good AFL career ?
He played for Fremantle before Geelong picked him up.

To me, a case of a late bloomer or a lack of maturity.

Did you see anything in his games for Box Hill that indicated that he should have not only be promoted to the senior list but then be vying for senior selection?

You should just be thankful talking about such things allows me to bring some positive vibes to the forum, that shouldn't be discouraged should it ?

Anyways I was meant to be doing a road trip to Morwell today, shame it didn't go ahead.
Well this is a training post for 2021 after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back