Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne lost by 186, Dean Bailey was coach and if you take that game out they were doing okay.
Yep, those meek players cost him dearly by just putting up the white flag like weā€™ve never seen before.

A cool and cloudy morning turned into a sunny and warm afternoon at Waverley.

Noteworthy observations:
Chad back running
Cuz back in full training
Seamus Mitchell running lots of laps. He is now doing his pre-season and will be into ball work in the next week or so.
Brooksby out of the moon boot and on the bike.

Today's session consisted mostly of 2 separate half ground game play drills of 8 v 8.

One group way over on the other side so hard to see anything there, but observations form the closer group as follows:

Scrimshaw in full training, looking very sharp and ready to go.

Kosi throwing his weight around and looking super impressive. In a 1 v 3, 30 metres out, dished out the don't argue, then took a juggling mark. In another contest, he out ran Frosty in a 1 v 1 chase to the ball, took the ball cleanly, pivoted sharp left and kicked back in to the forward line with Frost unable to lay a hand on him. He really is quick and an imposing figure. If he can take his pre-season form into the real season he will be a real weapon for us and a huge headache for oppo defenders.

CJ was looking really sharp. No noticeable shanks or cringe moments from him today. I really think that his footy brain is catching up with his athletic ability. There were multiple moments of CJ receiving the ball, using it well and then running to the next spot to receive again. Seems like he knows where to run to now without being told. 2021 will be the year of CJ.

Morrison was once again a stand out.

Lewis marking and kicking confidently.

DGB had some really nice moments of reading the play better than anyone else.

Harry Pepper - First time I have really seen him play at any length and i really liked what I saw. Smart and skillful player. I know there's a question on his disposal but I saw nothing that concerned me at all in that regard. Of course it is only one session, nonetheless, he looks a likely prospect at half back.

Big Ned Reeves was looking sharp.

Could go through the usual list of guns but fair to say that the boys looked primed and ready and the vibe amongst the players seems really upbeat. They seem to be really enjoying themselves out there. The young guys have been embraced by the group and appear to be thriving. DGB is a great character. Once again said Hi and 'see you next session' and looks like you couldn't wipe the smile off his face.

I should be able to get to the next session which will be my last for the pre-season.

Shout out to Croc and Judd2Sewell who joined me at Waverley.
Thx for your dedication and effort bud. Great report...you should get some sort of gong next to your Username šŸ‘

Mitchell O'Meara Wingard have all spoken about the huge disappointment of 2020 season , which makes me think that the club and the players have earmarked 2021 as the season of massive improvement. There seems to be more energy and excitement about this year than any since 2015!!! Don't be surprised if we win more games than people have us pencilled in.
We still have enough talent on our list to do some damage ,. Just need Wingard and Gunston back as they are equally important to our side as any. Bring it on!

Not much to say about training today. It was a short sharp session consisting entirely of ball work. Full ground transition type of drills and smaller groups doing contested stuff. There were multiple groups around the oval so it was a hive of activity. The vibe was excellent. Kosi stood out and absolutely looks primed and ready to go, Downie also stood out for his run and carry and delivery into fwd 50. Pepper once again impressed me. They are ready to go. Can't wait for team selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question :
Does anyone think Jordan Lewis is a touch bitter with Clarko regarding his departure from our club???
Lewis strikes me as the type to hold on to things and use it as motivation and it wouldn't surprise me if this was one of those situations.

Wasnā€™t sure where to put this but really think Luke Boyd and all the players have come back in ripping condition, especially the young guys. Even Howe, Hartley looks in great condition.

He has done a ripping job, players look noticeably stronger but all playing out games well

Anyone know much about him?

Wasnā€™t sure where to put this but really think Luke Boyd and all the players have come back in ripping condition, especially the young guys. Even Howe, Hartley looks in great condition.

He has done a ripping job, players look noticeably stronger but all playing out games well

I reckon Lewis, CJ and some others look a lot fitter too

I totally agree and notice this compared to the last 2 seasons.
Much fitter and running out games well. (Just not starting them well).
Gives confidence for future pre seasons building on this.

Last edited:
My daughter was the same. Give it a month and it will be this rhymes with that...but it doesn't
Like my stupid son? "Dad Nothing rhymes with orange."
"No it doesn't, you're adopted."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back