Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally got out to my first session at Waverley for 2021. It's a scorcher in Melbourne today but the morning was cool and sunny. The players were out nice and early to begin what was a very long session. Training is back to the full squad and it was great to see every available player out there. Gunston the only one that didn't make an appearance as far as I could tell.

Sicily was on the bike. Howe just doing slow laps. Saunders running and helping out with drills by holding the tackling bags. No issue with Saunders other than they just need to pull him back from going full tilt. Greaves having a scheduled down day, mostly doing boxing. Nash in the Blue cap but participating in all of the drills. Oli Hanrahan on the track for the first time this year.

Clarko was out there today watching on and giving encouragement/feedback as required. Bolton and Mitchell running the session.

Lots of match play stuff today with the clock running.

Standouts for me were Cousins, Brockman, O'Meara with Jeka, Moore and Downie notable.

Cuz just looks excellent in all of the drills and was probably the standout mid along with O'Meara this morning. There was a superb piece of play where Cuz in a 1v1 contest with his opponent coming right at him hard up against the boundary, took clean possession of the ball on the bounce, shimmied around his opponent and delivered a perfect 40 meter kick to his teammate. All of this without breaking stride. He is working hard and getting better in all aspects of the game.

O'Meara was pure class playing as both an inside and outside mid. Loved his outside game, gliding across the field, taking bounces and delivering to the forward line. We need him on the outside this year with his pace and class. Cousins or Downie may be the key to this.

Brockman really is an exciting prospect. He doesn't appear to have any real deficiencies in his game. One grab marking, huge leap and good disposal and super quick. Didn't see him ever fumble the ball. Looks very assured when he has the ball and works hard when he doesn't have it.

Jeka produced some quality grabs in the forward line. In a 1v1 battle with Frosty, he used his pace to get front position, and with Frost all over him like a rash ran direct at the ball and took the grab with arms fully stretched out in front. Keep in mind how quick Frost is. Took some other quality grabs as well. Didn't convert all of them but jeez its exciting to see a forward that can consistently take grabs like he can.

Downie looks like a 3rd or 4th year player. He hits the ball hard and uses his elite running ability to his advantage. He is so clean and looks like he belongs. A few of his kicks dropped a little short but other than that, lots to like. Didn't exclusively play wing either. Spent some time starting off the back of the square at centre bounces, playing in the release man role that Jaegar often plays and he looked really good doing it. I know he was supposed to hone his inside game during 2020 had he have been able too play. From what I saw, he definitely has inside potential and could allow Jaegar to play more of an outside role. Perhaps with Philips coming in and Scully being the other wingman, this is a sign of how they plan to use him.

Impey is looking really fit and ready to fire.

Day is always classy, goes in hard and never makes a bad decision. You don't need to be big when your footy IQ is higher than everyone elses.

I've really liked what I've seen from Dylan Moore in the two sessions that I have attended. He has gone from inconspicuous on the track to seemingly being involved in everything and looks to be ready for a big season.

CJ lays tackles like a mad man, intercepts frequently and does so many good things but is often let down buy his kicking on the run. If he can fix that up he will be a huge weapon.

Also want to mention Shiels who was really good today. Hoping he shakes off 2020 and delivers his usual standard in 2021.

That's all for now.
Excellent stuff Axeman. Appreciate it bud.

If cousins, Moore and greaves can reproduce the form they demonstrated in the last few games (and mainly against the poor performing suns) against the top teams on a consistent basis it will be a massive bonus.

Gunston wont miss the season he should be back training in march
This is true as long as there’s no hiccups. The kind of surgery he had can be both ends of the spectrum depending on how bad it was in there. Fingers crossed it was seamless and he hits the ground running. IMO it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he takes his time and comes back when he’s ready.

This is true as long as there’s no hiccups. The kind of surgery he had can be both ends of the spectrum depending on how bad it was in there. Fingers crossed it was seamless and he hits the ground running. IMO it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he takes his time and comes back when he’s ready.

Do you know a bit about what his issue was and what he had done?

If you do, how much will finally having the surgery done impact him (in a positive way)?
Was what he has something would have been really hampering him?

Do you know a bit about what his issue was and what he had done?

If you do, how much will finally having the surgery done impact him (in a positive way)?
Was what he has something would have been really hampering him?
The club website said he had a bulging disc that they were trying to manage. Pretty sure the surgery for this is called a microdiscetomy. The link below is a good read about but from reading it myself it says that the success rate is high so that’s really good to know.

What I did find interesting is that in the first paragraph of the below article it mentions that the microdiscectomy surgery can relive any related leg pain. If you recall a couple of years ago he was hampered by a iliotibial band injury. You’d have to assume that it’s all connected which hopefully solves his issues. It really just makes the season he just had even more remarkable IMO.

Brockman really is an exciting prospect. He doesn't appear to have any real deficiencies in his game. One grab marking, huge leap and good disposal and super quick. Didn't see him ever fumble the ball. Looks very assured when he has the ball and works hard when he doesn't have it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any thoughts on Pepper? Thought there was some talk of him getting close to a game last year. Interested to hear how he's progressing.
Pepper definitely has some good tools and some good moments on the track. One notable piece of play where he was deep in defence and sprinted straight through the middle of three forwards to mark the incoming ball. It was like the forwards were watching and waiting for the ball and pepper just said, 'Nup, it's mine' and made a beeline for it. The whole group cheered and the coach that was overseeing the drill gave the forwards push ups as punishment. Pepper's tools are his pace and endurance and apparently he reads the game pretty well. I'm told it's his kicking that needs work.

Pepper definitely has some good tools and some good moments on the track. One notable piece of play where he was deep in defence and sprinted straight through the middle of three forwards to mark the incoming ball. It was like the forwards were watching and waiting for the ball and pepper just said, 'Nup, it's mine' and made a beeline for it. The whole group cheered and the coach that was overseeing the drill gave the forwards push ups as punishment. Pepper's tools are his pace and endurance and apparently he reads the game pretty well. I'm told it's his kicking that needs work.
Thanks The_Axeman , greatly appreciate your insights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back