Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

If there’s any change in strategy it may have been at end of year when we realised we were way further off a flag than we hoped to be. The 2016-20 period looked to me a mad race to bounce back up the ladder with quick fixes (which includes Patton and Scully And failed FA attempts).

Maybe the recent draft was an abberatiom and we’ll be back to trading out all our early picks at end of the year but I at least hope we’re now taking a slower, longer term view of building a list with a foundation of elite 10+ year talent (ie day, Finn, scrim, Lewis, Jeka, DGB, downie, seamus, brock etc).

Big Ned Reeves had a scare on Wednesday when he looked to have really hurt his shoulder in a wrestling / tackling drill. Was back training today with the shoulder strapped and the blue hat for no contact but looks to be ok. Was able to mark over head and seems to have full movement.

I'm a bit more optimist than most on here, although i don't see us making the 8 we won't be far off. The Sic & Gunners injury's hurt.
Starting from the back, It's a impressive defensive list for a team that has not bottomed out. 8 players under 27. 4 Guys in the first 21 picks + J.Sicily.

Defensive stocks

Scrimshaw - 22,pick7. ave 16 touches, 4marks.
W.Day - 19,pick 13. ave 15, 4marks.
J.Impey- 25, pick 21. ave 16,5 (2019,2018.) Impey has had a season into his legs expect him to be back to his best. Fingers crossed.
B.Hardwick 23,pick44. ave (career) 15, 4marks - last year was a career low expect him to bounce back.
D.Greaves - 20, Rookie draft 17touches,5marks
DGB-18,Pick6.
J.Sicily - Star of the comp hopefully mid way into 2023 back to his best.
S.Frost -27, Great pick up plays his role every wk.

Last edited:
Moneyball never help the Oakland A's win the world series, so why would it work for us?
You need to maximise scarce resources. It is fundamentally necessary to explore under valued players. We have done it the entire time Clarko has been at the club. Why complain about it now?

Popped down to watch some training today. Unfortunately was a lot harder this time around to pick players out due to it pissing down with rain most of the session. I was drenched by the end but liked a few things I saw.

I’m a big fan of Brockman. During a match sim he tackled JOM and absolutely stripped him of the ball, gathered it and then delivered to the chest of a deep forward. Very exciting prospect imo.

Jeka’s speed is a really exciting thing to see too, seems to really want it and I thought he did well today.

CJ consistently came from no where to spoil an incoming ball. Really really impressive today. Looks to have confidence.

Chad was in the middle which I’m stoked about.

Dylan Moore is up for a big year I think, looks to have the confidence and body now. Did some really good stuff.

Worpel is in great shape. Stuffed up by trying to kick off the ground once and the ball went straight to a player but Worps chased him down for a holding the ball decision.

Was a bit worried at one point, Shaggy copped a big knock in a contest and was down on the ground for a bit. Everyone made their way to that part of the ground and gave him big props when he got up. Love this kid.

Apologies that this isn’t much, rain made it very difficult today.

Cheers

Popped down to watch some training today. Unfortunately was a lot harder this time around to pick players out due to it pissing down with rain most of the session. I was drenched by the end but liked a few things I saw.

I’m a big fan of Brockman. During a match sim he tackled JOM and absolutely stripped him of the ball, gathered it and then delivered to the chest of a deep forward. Very exciting prospect imo.

Jeka’s speed is a really exciting thing to see too, seems to really want it and I thought he did well today.

CJ consistently came from no where to spoil an incoming ball. Really really impressive today. Looks to have confidence.

Chad was in the middle which I’m stoked about.

Dylan Moore is up for a big year I think, looks to have the confidence and body now. Did some really good stuff.

Worpel is in great shape. Stuffed up by trying to kick off the ground once and the ball went straight to a player but Worps chased him down for a holding the ball decision.

Was a bit worried at one point, Shaggy copped a big knock in a contest and was down on the ground for a bit. Everyone made their way to that part of the ground and gave him big props when he got up. Love this kid.

Apologies that this isn’t much, rain made it very difficult today.

Cheers
Chad in the middle is music to my ears 😍

Chad is at his best in a midfield role, With occasional stints fwd. We will not see the best of him camped in the forward line while we Bomb the ball in the air and not even hit him up on the chest. His midfield numbers are seriously impressive when he plays there.

Chad is at his best in a midfield role, With occasional stints fwd. We will not see the best of him camped in the forward line while we Bomb the ball in the air and not even hit him up on the chest. His midfield numbers are seriously impressive when he plays there.
I m hoping for a 70/30 midfield/forward game time ratio for Chad this year (last two years the ratio was the other way around)

I agree completely with LMS. To clarify what his main point is (correct me if I am wrong) we desperately need to move away from injury riddled money ball players i.e Patton and Scully. We are not in a premiership window so what is the point going forward? At the time we recruited both club believed we were in the window which didn't work for a variety of reasons.

Re Phillips he is young - 24, NOT injury riddled and has some good runs on the board as a winger - totally different prospect to Patton and Scully.
I agree with LMS in this too. The injury reclamation projects should most definitely be shelved now especially since we lost Andrew Russell to Carlton. He was huge in not only luring injured guns but also getting them back on the park and that’s not taking anything away from Boyd but Russell obviously has that 6th sense that other fitness gurus don’t.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with LMS in this too. The injury reclamation projects should most definitely be shelved now especially since we lost Andrew Russell to Carlton. He was huge in not only luring injured guns but also getting them back on the park and that’s not taking anything away from Boyd but Russell obviously has that 6th sense that other fitness gurus don’t.
Charlie Curnow doesn’t like this post

Russell is good when a player recovers from an injury and getting them fit. It’s the docs and physios and some times just time that get the players recovered from the injury.

We've still got Makdissi who is the real reason we've been able to rehab injured players as well as we've been able to.

Well it actually is, because it seems you may have made an assumption based on who has the better name, rather than knowing their actual roles and responsibilities?

Big Ned Reeves had a scare on Wednesday when he looked to have really hurt his shoulder in a wrestling / tackling drill. Was back training today with the shoulder strapped and the blue hat for no contact but looks to be ok. Was able to mark over head and seems to have full movement.
That is good news. He is a very important player on our list. If he was to miss a year of development it would be a pretty big blow for us. We really need to get him to AFL standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back