Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Dutchy16

Debutant
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Made it down to training today. Did 4 quarters of roughly 20 minutes game time and loved every minute.

Jaeger absolutely dominated out of the middle with good delivery from Ceglar. Wingard everywhere and a cut above, just so full of natural ability.

Denver’s fitness is definitely building and I can’t help but love the kid.

Dylan Moore continues to impress me massively, think he’s in for a big year and has a loud voice out on the ground. Played as a high half forward getting around the ball but also kicked a couple of clever goals.

Tom Phillips looks great, good strength and just knows where to be.

Something seems to have clicked for Nash. I think he looks good out on the ground. Obviously has great running power and has cleaned up his kicking.

It’s so great to see Jarman out there rebounding. Him and Scrimshaw provided a lot of drive from the back line.

Kosi looked good early, very quick for his size and hard at it. Mitch Lewis looked good early too but faded.

Jeka is who I am most excited about out of the tall forward crop we have. Fantastic hands and just has the footy brain. Also very quick for his size and is a great field kick. Hartley tried his hardest at one contest to bump him off course but ended up being the one bumped out by Jeka’s strength.

Brockman was busy early but didn’t see much of him later on.

CJ has pretty much made it impossible for him not to be in the team. Always a stand out contributor and always seems to find a way to get a hand in for the spoil when he really has no right to.

There was a guy I couldn’t pick playing in the number 1 for most of the game up forward. He was really impressive but I’m guessing was a box hill boy.

Bravo looked good with some things he did, worked hard. Callow didn’t have the best delivery to work with when I was keeping an eye on him but competed well.

Downie did a few good things but also torched the ball a couple times going forward.

Excited about what Reeves is showing even as a deep forward when resting. Unfortunately got hurt and went down holding his ankle straight away after a contest though. Don’t think he played on after.

Josh Morris looking fit and strong. Never understood why we were using him as a ‘small’ cause he’s definitely not that but has speed and is hard at the man.

That’s mostly what I took in, I’ll add in anything else I remember.

Agree with all of this except it was 3 x 20 minutes only. They had an additional drinks break at the 10 minute mark of the third quarter. Thought Greaves was really good down back and took the right option each time. Worpel was also very good. Hard to believe he is still such a young player. His voice and directions on the ground is noticeable.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Box Hill had 8 players out there today for the match. Greene, Adduci, Blank, Ed Phillips, Bramble, Porter, Cunico and Josh Deluca. Unfortunately Deluca did a hammy in the warm up so didn’t even get on the field. Fergus Greene was number 1 in Orange.

Sounds like a great pickup for box hill with still a lot of upside, hasn’t Had a lot of luck with injuries either

Nash's disposal by foot has been one of his biggest weaknesses - if he's gotten his kicking right that could be a big win for him.
his field kicking has never been bad and at times has been very good

it's in front of the sticks that he struggles and to be fair a lot of AFL players who grew up with the game are bad in front of goal

fingers crossed he's taking a big step

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great info form Jaegar & Dutchy, I'll add my thoughts.

The intensity of the play went up a few notches from last week. There was very little holding back, much more like the real deal. The boys not afraid to hit each other hard.

Not playing: T & S Mitchell, Saunders, Sic, Pepper and Gunston

Lots and lots of jumper swapping and moving players between teams and 8 Box Hill players out there so it was quite difficult at times to tell who was who but here goes:

Moore was outstanding. Hard at it, clean, evasive, laying tackles, kicking goals, he was doing it all. he would go from a hard contest in the centre where he would have a direct hand in winning the ball for his team and then bob up in the forward line to take a mark or lay a tackle. Simply outstanding. I have really enjoyed watching him this pre-season.

Likewise Damon Greaves who once again was Mr Reliable in the back line. Always cool and calm and always hitting targets. Has a real knack for getting through congestion and setting up the run from halfback and like Dylan Moore, he is tough.

Impey was superb. Intercept marking and generating run off half back

Chad was sublime. Clearance after clearance. Goal assists. kicking goals.

Jaegar reigned supreme in the midfield. Showcased the full suite of skills and kicked at least one ripper goal.

Got my first really good look at Tom Philips today. He was excellent. Great piece of play where he had the ball on the far wing, brushed off the tackler and then centered the ball with a low fast kick to his team mate 40 metres away with pinpoint accuracy, which led to a goal. There was zero room for error on that kick and he nailed it. He was really good all day.

Jeka was the dominant big forward on the ground. Took a bunch of good marks inside 50 and also used his body well and got a few frees. Could have had 4 or 5 goals if he'd converted all of them. What really stuck out about him today was his field kicking. A couple of times delivering low, flat 40m bullet passes inside 50 straight on to the chest of his teammate. He oozes confidence and seems to be fit and strong and ready to go. He's going to be exciting to watch when he gets his opportunity.

Connor Downie was a bit scratchy early on but as the game went on he got better and better and by the last quarter he was having a big impact. On multiple occasions he streamed down the ground confidently taking 3 or 4 bounces before delivering to the forward line. Really impressive and a good preview of what he will bring to the team.

Breust was good as was Shiels.

I thought Howe played really well off half back. Took some good strong marks and distributed well.

CJ has to be in the best 22 at this point in time. Yes, he can be somewhat unpredictable at times. he might drop an easy mark or shank a kick, but the amount of pressure he puts on opposition is staggering. He is relentless and generally hassles his opponent into making a mistake. This combined with his attacking flair makes him an irresistible prospect in my opinion. He seems to be almost everywhere, almost all of the time.

DGB seemed to be manning up Kosi a lot of the time and while he wasn't as noticeable as he was last week, I think his main job was to shut down Kosi which he mostly did well with some great, perfectly timed spoils. Kosi pushed up the ground a bit to break the shackles and became more involved as the link man with strong marking and delivery into forward 50 much in the way Schoenmakers was used late in his career. He then switched to defence for the last quarter.

Really liked the look of Josh Morris today. He faded out of it a bit but early on he was excellent. Took a great mark and went back and kicked it form a tight angle.

Brockman had some good moments but perhaps the step up in intensity showed him up a little. He finished up early for the day a little sore, but nothing too bad that I could see.

Cuz was sketchy early but really fought back hard to have a big impact in the second half. It was almost like 2 different players.

Reeves was really good. Seems he has gone from an unknown quantity to a very solid prospect in one year. When he goes forward he marks well and is very good with the set shots. Also has good leading patterns.

Finn ran really hard all day. Played mostly outside mid including some stints on the wing. As the game went on his endurance came to the fore and allowed him to get involved more, getting more of the ball and burning off his opponent.

Worpel was excellent. Best I've seen from him so far this pre-season.

Burgoyne played in defence and was just classy as usual.

Lewis had some good moments but was not dominant. Kicked a goal or two.

That's all I've got.

Last edited:

The intensity of the play went up a few notches from last week. There was very little holding back, much more like the real deal. The boys not afraid to hit each other hard.

Lots and lots of jumper swapping and moving players between teams and 8 Box Hill players out there so it was quite difficult at times to tell who was who but here goes:

Moore was outstanding. Hard at it, clean, evasive, laying tackles, kicking goals, he was doing it all. he would go from a hard contest in the centre where he would have a direct hand in winning the ball for his team and then bob up in the forward line to take a mark or lay a tackle. Simply outstanding. I have really enjoyed watching him this pre-season.

Likewise Damon Greaves who once again was Mr Reliable in the back line. Always cool and calm and always hitting targets. Has a real knack for getting through congestion and setting up the run from halfback and like Dylan Moore, he is tough.

Jaegar reigned supreme in the midfield. Showcased the full suite of skills and kicked at least one ripper goal.

Got my first really good look at Tom Philips today. He was excellent. Great piece of play where he had the ball on the far wing, brushed off the tackler and then centered the ball with a low fast kick to his team mate 40 metres away with pinpoint accuracy, which led to a goal. There was zero room for error on that kick and he nailed it. He was really good all day.

Jeka was the dominant big forward on the ground. Took a bunch of good marks inside 50 and also used his body well and got a few frees. Could have had 4 or 5 goals if he'd converted all of them. What really stuck out about him today was his field kicking. A couple of times delivering low, flat 40m bullet passes inside 50 straight on to the chest of his teammate. He oozes confidence and seems to be fit and strong and ready to go. He's going to be exciting to watch when he gets his opportunity.

Connor Downie was a bit scratchy early on but as the game went on he got better and better and by the last quarter he was having a big impact. On multiple occasions he streamed down the ground confidently taking 3 or 4 bounces before delivering to the forward line. Really impressive and a good preview of what he will bring to the team.

I thought Howe played really well off half back. Took some good strong marks and distributed well.

CJ has to be in the best 22 at this point in time. Yes, he can be somewhat unpredictable at times. he might drop an easy mark or shank a kick, but the amount of pressure he puts on opposition is staggering. He is relentless and generally hassles his opponent into making a mistake. This combined with his attacking flair makes him an irresistible prospect in my opinion. He seems to be almost everywhere, almost all of the time.

DGB seemed to be manning up Kosi a lot of the time and while he wasn't as noticeable as he was last week, I think his main job was to shut down Kosi which he mostly did well with some great, perfectly timed spoils. Kosi pushed up the ground a bit to break the shackles and became more involved as the link man with strong marking and delivery into forward 50 much in the way Schoenmakers was used late in his career. He then switched to defence for the last quarter.

Really liked the look of Josh Morris today. He faded out of it a bit but early on he was excellent. Took a great mark and went back and kicked it form a tight angle.

Brockman had some good moments but perhaps the step up in intensity showed him up a little. He finished up early for the day a little sore, but nothing too bad that I could see.

Cuz was sketchy early but really fought back hard to have a big impact in the second half. It was almost like 2 different players.

Reeves was really good. Seems he has gone from an unknown quantity to a very solid prospect in one year. When he goes forward he marks well and is very good with the set shots. Also has good leading patterns.

Finn ran really hard all day. Played mostly outside mid including some stints on the wing. As the game went on his endurance came to the fore and allowed him to get involved more, getting more of the ball and burning off his opponent.

That's all I've got.

You have outdone yourself sir. Thanks also to Jaeger and Dutchy for their posts.

JaegarTime

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree with all of this except it was 3 x 20 minutes only. They had an additional drinks break at the 10 minute mark of the third quarter. Thought Greaves was really good down back and took the right option each time. Worpel was also very good. Hard to believe he is still such a young player. His voice and directions on the ground is noticeable.

Yeah my bad on the quarter lengths haha, forgot about the intermission they had.

Agreed on Worpel and Greaves

That's all I've got.
You hit all the right notes, The_Axeman, thank you

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
his field kicking has never been bad and at times has been very good

it's in front of the sticks that he struggles and to be fair a lot of AFL players who grew up with the game are bad in front of goal

fingers crossed he's taking a big step

isnt nash's primary issue his game IQ more than anything else?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Women's soccer in the USA have tried on three occasions that I'm aware of, to start up a stand alone competition, each time striking whilst the iron was hot. Each time they tried to piggyback off the euphoria of national team wins at major world events such as world cups, Olympic games and social justice movements, asking for equal pay during the me too thing. Only to fold every time just a short time later.

I just think that either clubs or the AFL are going to take a hit for along time if not forever before AFLW turns a direct profit, I don't think it will be too long before those that fund this project start asking how long can we prop it up if and when revenue streams start to and will dry up as the world adjust to a post pandemic economy.

Just my take.

Its the enthusisam of the participants. they just love it. No doubt the AFLW crowds are substantially participants too. These are the mothers of tomorrow so there'll be enthusiasm for 'little johnny ' to play too.

Whether the novelty wears off who knows, but its value is as a talent feed both male and female

Just on enthusiasts v theatre goers, are we now seeing tennis crowds are largely the latter?

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Its the enthusisam of the participants. they just love it. No doubt the AFLW crowds are substantially participants too. These are the mothers of tomorrow so there'll be enthusiasm for 'little johnny ' to play too.

Whether the novelty wears off who knows, but its value is as a talent feed both male and female

Just on enthusiasts v theatre goers, are we now seeing tennis crowds are largely the latter?

Thanks again Axeman - another top notch report. Everything you said about Moore is almost word for word info I got from someone who knew him really well pre draft. Good to see this kid starting to realise his potential

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arizona DiamondBacks

That's all I've got.

Axe could Reeves become the new Hale for us going forward on what your seen.

Dutchy16

Debutant
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

That's all I've got.

Missing a name from the didn’t play list Axe......the new skipper....

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thoughts on Callow?
I liked what I saw of him. Not flashy but very good hands. Solid outing. Worth persevering with.
Axe could Reeves become the new Hale for us going forward on what your seen.
6 Weeks ago I would have laughed at that question, now, I wouldn't write it off.
Could he play the Poppy role Axe.
It's a certainty.
Missing a name from the didn’t play list Axe......the new skipper....
Ah, yes. Thanks Dutchy.

Back