Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Downie. Would love him to sink the Dons with a shot on the run from 50m.

From the opening paragraph:

Nathan Buckley has a number of option heading into Round 1 after an impressive showing between City and County at the Holten Centre

It's like they don't even try anymore...

There's a fair bit of angst about Liam Shiels' role in the team due to his poor 2020. I've thought for a while he might be good as a defensive forward on one of the opposition's rebounding defenders, a bit like the job Jordan Lewis, did on Heath Shaw way back when. Shiels is a tackling machine, is selfless, is a very strong mark for his size and his kicking over the last couple of years is much improved. I don't know if there would be a permanent spot for him there but it's something I'd like to see.
Shiels could not do what Lewis did to Shaw. Maybe more like what Muston did to Fletcher*.

Lewis on Heath Shaw was the biggest domination of a player i have seen (t. Mitchell getting 46 while tagged by duel b&f winner worlds best ever runner blicsavs). 5 goals, set up a few, repeatedly beat him one on one, made it impossible for him to get easy touches and the few times he did get it he turned it over or kicked out on the full. Completely sapped all the confidence from an all Australian defender at his peak.

Shiels could not do what Lewis did to Shaw. Maybe more like what Muston did to Fletcher*.

Lewis on Heath Shaw was the biggest domination of a player i have seen (t. Mitchell getting 46 while tagged by duel b&f winner worlds best ever runner blicsavs). 5 goals, set up a few, repeatedly beat him one on one, made it impossible for him to get easy touches and the few times he did get it he turned it over or kicked out on the full. Completely sapped all the confidence from an all Australian defender at his peak.
The Kennedy Assassination (2015 GF) was pretty close.

How does leading teams work? Interesting to know if you don’t mind :)
Watch Aker on Open Mike talking about his time at the Bulldogs.

My take away was that everybody has to eat at least one s**t sandwich but if you're a slightly different character then a funnel is stuck down your throat, like a duck in foi gras season, and you'll be force fed them until the peanut gallery believe that they've succeeded in their aim of breaking your spirit and sense of self.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was talking more of the role than expecting Shiels could pull out a performance like that. As you said, it was a hell of a game by Lewis that day. One of his best.

Would Menegola count as someone he had on our list never got a go then broke through for a very good AFL career ?
Menegola had some issues that you are not aware not the least of which was his desire to go back home

He obviously matured later in life and went to geelomg to carve out a career

From the opening paragraph:

Nathan Buckley has a number of option heading into Round 1 after an impressive showing between City and County at the Holten Centre

It's like they don't even try anymore...
It's usually the work experience kid when there isn't a name penned to the story.

There's a fair bit of angst about Liam Shiels' role in the team due to his poor 2020. I've thought for a while he might be good as a defensive forward on one of the opposition's rebounding defenders, a bit like the job Jordan Lewis, did on Heath Shaw way back when. Shiels is a tackling machine, is selfless, is a very strong mark for his size and his kicking over the last couple of years is much improved. I don't know if there would be a permanent spot for him there but it's something I'd like to see.
He's copping it in the last couple of pages here, but Shiels came 5th in our B&F in 2020 - his highest ever placing.

Perhaps it's indicative of a poor year for the club, but he was obviously doing some things right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch Aker on Open Mike talking about his time at the Bulldogs.

My take away was that everybody has to eat at least one sh*t sandwich but if you're a slightly different character then a funnel is stuck down your throat, like a duck in foi gras season, and you'll be force fed them until the peanut gallery believe that they've succeeded in their aim of breaking your spirit and sense of self.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some of the finest prose I’ve read on here.

He's copping it in the last couple of pages here, but Shiels came 5th in our B&F in 2020 - his highest ever placing.

Perhaps it's indicative of a poor year for the club, but he was obviously doing some things right.
Yep, he didn’t have his best season but was far from our worst and unless his body is completely cooked he has a lot of footy left.

Has been one of our most consistent mids over the past decade and his ability to play a more defensive midfield role (covering for defence weakness of Sam Mitchell / Lewis / hodge etc but now Mitchell/worpel/JOM) means he’s still one of the first picked. It’s the sameness of JOM/worpel/Mitchell that’s the issue rather than shiels.

Yep, he didn’t have his best season but was far from our worst and unless his body is completely cooked he has a lot of footy left.

Has been one of our most consistent mids over the past decade and his ability to play a more defensive midfield role (covering for defence weakness of Sam Mitchell / Lewis / hodge etc but now Mitchell/worpel/JOM) means he’s still one of the first picked. It’s the sameness of JOM/worpel/Mitchell that’s the issue rather than shiels.

The BNF was a bit of a participation award this year. 11 players scored more votes per game than Shiels and almost all of them would have played all games they were fit (not Greaves and Day). Shiels played some very good games last year but also some shockers. Was very inconsistent, which kills you as a developing teams. You need your senior players performing to their level every week.

1613866113673.png

Not sure how strongly I am going to hold a consistent performer to account given life in the Hubs last year and the horror situation we got given. It would be hard to comprehend how difficult it was, so am going to judge on what players put out this season.

Getting back to Finn, shiels and training...I think it is a good thing for Finn to spend some time developing on the wing at whatever level he plays. My view of his under age games was that he didn’t get it enough on the outside. It will make him a superior player in the long run. But he should also get time in the guys to hone his contested ability. I suspect he is going to switch between the two roles at box hill in the short term just like we saw in the intra club. Sounds like shiels had a good intra club game so he at least has form this preseason to warrant his place in the best 22.

Getting back to Finn, shiels and training...I think it is a good thing for Finn to spend some time developing on the wing at whatever level he plays. My view of his under age games was that he didn’t get it enough on the outside. It will make him a superior player in the long run. But he should also get time in the guys to hone his contested ability. I suspect he is going to switch between the two roles at box hill in the short term just like we saw in the intra club. Sounds like shiels had a good intra club game so he at least has form this preseason to warrant his place in the best 22.

I'd say you are right there.

That progression turned Mitchell into a Brownlow medalist. He could get 25 touches in the thick of the action from day one essentially, but once he learned how to break from contests and provide link-up options Mitchell went from a 25 touch player to a 35 touch player.

Finn has the physical tools to be very good at that, given his size, solid pace and his endurance especially.

That progression turned Mitchell into a Brownlow medalist. He could get 25 touches in the thick of the action from day one essentially, but once he learned how to break from contests and provide link-up options Mitchell went from a 25 touch player to a 35 touch player.

Finn has the physical tools to be very good at that, given his size, solid pace and his endurance especially.
YEp, it is the superior endurance that will make Finn a real weapon. Imagine late in a close game when most are just about of gas, having a guy that size that can play inside and outside and continue running at his peak right to the end.

YEp, it is the superior endurance that will make Finn a real weapon. Imagine late in a close game when most are just about of gas, having a guy that size that can play inside and outside and continue running at his peak right to the end.

Could be a big difference maker in those situations. I really hope he gets it together for us.

He could be a Dane Swan style player. And if he isn't that by round 1 then I think everyone should lose their minds.

Agreed.

In terms of development, for the entire list, I can't see how dropping Shiels last year and getting another 5 games or so into Moore and/or Finn (as examples) would have hurt anyone, especially once the season was dead. The same can be said for Scully Hendo and Stratts. We've seen this happen in other dead seasons where under-preforming senior players just kept their spot no matter what.

The bolded part is all we've ask for, even though we all know that Clarko is as stubborn as a mule and has 4 premiership medallions to show for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back