Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, I'd also just like to take 30 seconds of my time for those guys who make the trip to Waverley, but then the extra above-and-beyond of spending 30 minutes to write it all up for the rest of us.

It's greatly appreciated*

*...except when Strapping Young Lad does it, of course

Last edited:
Yep, I'd also just like to take 30 seconds of my time for those guys who make the trip to Waverley, but then the extra above-and-beyond of spending 30 minutes to write it all up.

It's greatly appreciated*

*...except when Strapping Young Lad does it, of course
Yep, worth echoing this sentiment.

Now that I have all the time in the world I would love to get down to training on a regular basis, but, alas, living in Sydney makes that impossible.
I am not that far from Homebush so perhaps I could get down to Giants Stadium to keep an eye on the next crop of crocks GWS want to unload on us.

Maybe not.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep, worth echoing this sentiment.

Now that I have all the time in the world I would love to get down to training on a regular basis, but, alas, living in Sydney makes that impossible.
I am not that far from Homebush so perhaps I could get down to Giants Stadium to keep an eye on the next crop of crocks GWS want to unload on us.

Maybe not.
Have gws not unloaded on us enough

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The forward line set up was different with players less grouped with one running into space to reduce zone defense. What was particularly pleasing there was no bombing a ball high deep into the forward line. Jeka at CHF could be a weapon with his long spearing kicks in front of his team mates.
This is like a breath of fresh air inside a fart bag that's been stuck under a turd for a couple of years.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is like a breath of fresh air inside a fart bag that's been stuck under a turd for a couple of years.

Love the metaphor, and agree with the sentiment!

I think Jeka is going to be a key mover for us going forward- his underage year/u16s showed him to be an incredibly versatile threat and if we can bring that more to the fore we'll have ourselves a gem.

The unofficial scratch match - one of the AFL’s match simulation practice matches - will see the Bulldogs and Hawks face off at VU Whitten Oval on February 24 from 10.30am.
Geez what a s**t time.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Thanks for the write-ups folks. Very much appreciated.

Interested to know how people feel the back-line will fill up.

Hartigan, Dimma, Frost, Scrimmers and Impey seem locks. Day would be next for mine, being the starting 6. That leaves one spot on the bench for Greaves, CJ, Hartley or CJ. Then again, maybe they go with someone like Howe who can play half back or in the middle, or Downie who can play half back or wing.

Thoughts?

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify some of these reports coming out from training but before I do thanks to everyone providing these reports. Our ball movement and transition has been quick this pre season. However we were attempting to do this the last couple of years in pre season and through the season. Its not a new development change like this does not happen over one preseason. The problem was our skills and personnel. It was inevitable we would miss handballs or kicks. Especially that final kick coming into the forward line. We were also not running very good patterns and structures in the forward line that allowed us to separate and provide multiple options. Often we would have players run into each others space. Game day also had the opposition who of course were determined to stop the transition and set up defensively. It is highly likely that we will still be bombing into the forward line during a game when the opposition have us locked away defensively.

We are still a work in a progress and don't get me wrong there have been tweaks in the way we transition. The most important thing this year is that we have far more options and much better understanding between the players. This makes us more dangerous and less predictable. Our older players are in the process of understanding and gelling with our younger players. We have brought in players with more speed and most importantly just about all of our KPs are fit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify some of these reports coming out from training but before I do thanks to everyone providing these reports. Our ball movement and transition has been quick this pre season. However we were attempting to do this the last couple of years in pre season and through the season. Its not a new development change like this does not happen over one preseason. The problem was our skills and personnel. It was inevitable we would miss handballs or kicks. Especially that final kick coming into the forward line. We were also not running very good patterns and structures in the forward line that allowed us to separate and provide multiple options. Often we would have players run into each others space. Game day also had the opposition who of course were determined to stop the transition and set up defensively. It is highly likely that we will still be bombing into the forward line during a game when the opposition have us locked away defensively.

We are still a work in a progress and don't get me wrong there have been tweaks in the way we transition. The most important thing this year is that we have far more options and much better understanding between the players. This makes us more dangerous and less predictable. Our older players are in the process of understanding and gelling with our younger players. We have brought in players with more speed and most importantly just about all of our KPs are fit

What are your thoughts on Callow and Bravo and will they be added onto the list?

Given Bramble was explicity brought across by Andy Collins from Williamstown when he came to Box Hill, firming for a good chance to be on the list likely ahead of the two kids.

What are your thoughts on Callow and Bravo and will they be added onto the list?
Look they are not on a list currently for a reason. There is something to work with but there are a lot of rough edges

Given Bramble was explicity brought across by Andy Collins from Williamstown when he came to Box Hill, firming for a good chance to be on the list likely ahead of the two kids.

Brilliant having Collins back in the fold - great mentor to the young blokes and will no doubt instil a bit of grit and mongrel across the group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back