Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, I'd also just like to take 30 seconds of my time for those guys who make the trip to Waverley, but then the extra above-and-beyond of spending 30 minutes to write it all up for the rest of us.

It's greatly appreciated*

*...except when Strapping Young Lad does it, of course
Gold Eldorado ;)

How 'speedy' is a speedster?

Has anyone seen Bramble play (or run speedily)?

Without accidentally comparing him to a club great, can we get an approximate comparison to another player for speed?

*and kicking ability now that Dutchy16 has got me interested!

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify some of these reports coming out from training but before I do thanks to everyone providing these reports. Our ball movement and transition has been quick this pre season. However we were attempting to do this the last couple of years in pre season and through the season. Its not a new development change like this does not happen over one preseason. The problem was our skills and personnel. It was inevitable we would miss handballs or kicks. Especially that final kick coming into the forward line. We were also not running very good patterns and structures in the forward line that allowed us to separate and provide multiple options. Often we would have players run into each others space. Game day also had the opposition who of course were determined to stop the transition and set up defensively. It is highly likely that we will still be bombing into the forward line during a game when the opposition have us locked away defensively.

We are still a work in a progress and don't get me wrong there have been tweaks in the way we transition. The most important thing this year is that we have far more options and much better understanding between the players. This makes us more dangerous and less predictable. Our older players are in the process of understanding and gelling with our younger players. We have brought in players with more speed and most importantly just about all of our KPs are fit
First thing I thought when reading about this in previous posts. The idea that we wanted to just bomb it in as our game plan is ludicrous. The fact is our ball movement has been pretty awful the past couple of seasons that we are left with no choice but to bomb it in as the oppo defence is able to close us down in no time.

As a youthful team in transition, we need to be prepared for more of this in 2021. Hopefully not as much though...

Managed to make my way to training this morning. I was there for about ~90 minutes. I will preface the below by saying I am not a regular training watcher, and therefore my comments are really snap observations (either good or bad) based on 1 session this morning.

• When I arrived the players were already on the track, undertaking a drill that seemed to be focused on short leads, marking and then turning quickly to the next player 30-40m away. Players near me included Greaves, Finn, Moore and a few others. Greaves kicking really stood out, but was what was more impressive was how vocal he was. This also stood out with other drills whilst I was there, which was impressive.
  • Scrimshaw was on the bike, as was Wingard. Sicily was on the boundary line supporting.
  • The next drill involved forwards against backs, 2 vs 2 (1 big and 1 small each). A coach would deliver a high ball into the pocket, and the objective seemed to either score the goal or nullify the forwards. I didn’t see one mark during this drill, so can only assume that it was a requirement to bring it to ground. There were a few very good snaps but didn’t know the players (maybe S Mitchell??). Interestingly, Nash was playing as a ‘small’ during the drill.
  • The group then broke out into small groups to practice in-tight handballs. I think it was about 4 or 5 trying to keep it off 2 players. Standard names stood out here, Burgoyne and T Mitchell in particular.
  • The next drill was practising kick-outs to a group of about 7 vs 7. In the group near me, Liam Shiels seemed to dominate around the ball, being involved in most of the scrimmages. Other players of note included:
    • Cousins and Day, who were both extremely clean with the ball.
    • Greaves was also good during this session (both with ball in hand and his voice as mentioned above).
    • Reeves competed against Ceglar, and whilst Ceglar had the better of him most of the time, it was the first time I had seen Reeves and was impressed. Maybe another 12 months away, but hopefully something to work with
  • The boys then moved to full ground simulation. I thought it was interesting watching this drill, how our players really kept the ‘shape’ of the ground (i.e forwards stayed forward, wings on the wings etc). It struck me that this is not really how the modern game is played (unfortunately). I few other notes from the simulation:
    • Reeves took a good mark on the lead about 40m out against Hartigan (who looks like a man mountain). Unfortunately, he couldn’t convert the goal and kicked it out on the full.
    • I think Mitch Lewis was giving some lip to Hardwick. It seemed he was taking umbrage to some advice, but I couldn’t be sure. Maybe they were just joking around.
    • Harry Pepper was doing sprints on the sideline
    • Connor Downie looked really clean. Impressed by his size, foot skills and he looked very clean below his knees. Looked to play the majority on the wing
  • At the end of the session, the majority of the players were winding down and walking off. A few players continued kicking to each other. Downie and Finn grab a ball and where practising short sharp kicks to each other. Connor was very clean, but Finn was a little scrappy. Good on them though, for both being out there and continuing to practice.
  • Sam Mitchell seems to bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the training session. I remember him doing the same when he was a player. Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing (i.e. that he is the one having to bring that enthusiasm still).
That’s about it.

How 'speedy' is a speedster?

Has anyone seen Bramble play (or run speedily)?

Without accidentally comparing him to a club great, can we get an approximate comparison to another player for speed?

*and kicking ability now that Dutchy16 has got me interested!
As long as he is quicker than minchington who I'd call pedestrian, he'd still be the fastest speedster we've had with a last minute player ever. Which shows we're a fair chance of drafting Usain bolt in 2045 if we keep upgrading in speed on our nadir of a baseline.

Btw never seen him hope he is fast. Good luck 2 him and us.

Managed to make my way to training this morning. I was there for about ~90 minutes. I will preface the below by saying I am not a regular training watcher, and therefore my comments are really snap observations (either good or bad) based on 1 session this morning.

• When I arrived the players were already on the track, undertaking a drill that seemed to be focused on short leads, marking and then turning quickly to the next player 30-40m away. Players near me included Greaves, Finn, Moore and a few others. Greaves kicking really stood out, but was what was more impressive was how vocal he was. This also stood out with other drills whilst I was there, which was impressive.
  • Scrimshaw was on the bike, as was Wingard. Sicily was on the boundary line supporting.
  • The next drill involved forwards against backs, 2 vs 2 (1 big and 1 small each). A coach would deliver a high ball into the pocket, and the objective seemed to either score the goal or nullify the forwards. I didn’t see one mark during this drill, so can only assume that it was a requirement to bring it to ground. There were a few very good snaps but didn’t know the players (maybe S Mitchell??). Interestingly, Nash was playing as a ‘small’ during the drill.
  • The group then broke out into small groups to practice in-tight handballs. I think it was about 4 or 5 trying to keep it off 2 players. Standard names stood out here, Burgoyne and T Mitchell in particular.
  • The next drill was practising kick-outs to a group of about 7 vs 7. In the group near me, Liam Shiels seemed to dominate around the ball, being involved in most of the scrimmages. Other players of note included:
    • Cousins and Day, who were both extremely clean with the ball.
    • Greaves was also good during this session (both with ball in hand and his voice as mentioned above).
    • Reeves competed against Ceglar, and whilst Ceglar had the better of him most of the time, it was the first time I had seen Reeves and was impressed. Maybe another 12 months away, but hopefully something to work with
  • The boys then moved to full ground simulation. I thought it was interesting watching this drill, how our players really kept the ‘shape’ of the ground (i.e forwards stayed forward, wings on the wings etc). It struck me that this is not really how the modern game is played (unfortunately). I few other notes from the simulation:
    • Reeves took a good mark on the lead about 40m out against Hartigan (who looks like a man mountain). Unfortunately, he couldn’t convert the goal and kicked it out on the full.
    • I think Mitch Lewis was giving some lip to Hardwick. It seemed he was taking umbrage to some advice, but I couldn’t be sure. Maybe they were just joking around.
    • Harry Pepper was doing sprints on the sideline
    • Connor Downie looked really clean. Impressed by his size, foot skills and he looked very clean below his knees. Looked to play the majority on the wing
  • At the end of the session, the majority of the players were winding down and walking off. A few players continued kicking to each other. Downie and Finn grab a ball and where practising short sharp kicks to each other. Connor was very clean, but Finn was a little scrappy. Good on them though, for both being out there and continuing to practice.
  • Sam Mitchell seems to bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the training session. I remember him doing the same when he was a player. Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing (i.e. that he is the one having to bring that enthusiasm still).
That’s about it.
Thankyou Hawk1986.

https://twitter.com/RileyBev?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1363679227392843779|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

So Bramble has been training with us for a while but only today has been added to the train-on list?
That’s correct. He has been training as one of the 9 top up players from box hill under the new AFL rules relating to vfl lists. Great exposure for these guys and this is the direct result. His performance last week was good but it was the week prior in match sim where he really played well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I attended the intra club practice match on Thursday and The Axeman's post 2481 on page 100 is a brilliantly inciteful report on the game. Accordingly there is little I can add on individual players.

cryptor asked "How did we go today with the new rules around manning the mark?"
MrPremiership asked "Any comments on tactical changes? More corridor play? faster tempo?
Also, how did our forward lines go? Find space? Open?"

I think there were three 50 metre penalties, two for gimme goals and one deep in defense. There were less penalties than in the previous practice match because the umpires rightly called play on when the player moved to the side and that was a real positive. What was really evident with the change to the manning the mark rule was no sideways movement opened up the corridor for forward ball movement and as a result there was no need for backward ball movement to avoid the man on the mark. In addition opening the corridor meant there were less defensive kicks down the boundary. The man on the mark can no longer move across to defend the corridor and force a more defendable kick.

Therefore there was more corridor play and a faster tempo however it might simply be a tactical change required because of the rule change. The forward line set up was different with players less grouped with one running into space to reduce zone defense. What was particularly pleasing there was no bombing a ball high deep into the forward line. Jeka at CHF could be a weapon with his long spearing kicks in front of his team mates.

The scores were:
Blue 3.2.20 10.4.64 12.8.80 17.11.113
Orange 4.1.25 6.2 38 6.4.40 7.6.48
At half time the players left the ground and sat down on the grass in the shade under the trees. Due to the heat, in the last quarter there was a drinks break with 8 minute to play and play ended with one minute to play.

The game opened with McEvoy in the ruck. I've been very impressed with his leadership. He has actively encouraged players to push themselves. Maginess/Downie and Brockman/Phillips started on the wings. Multiple players rotated through the centre and wings. The reduction in rotations to 75 will probably see the end of multiple rotations when goals are kicked and more players rotating through the wing and flanks closest to the interchange bench to conserve energy.

The BHH players included Vince Adduci, James Blanck, Lachie Bramble, Fergus Greene, Stu Horner, Trent Mynott, Jai Newcombe and Callum Porter. Add Jordan Cunico, Josh Deluca and Ed Phillips who played in previous practice matches and I'm really excited about watching the BHH in 2021.

I'm confident we'll perform far better this year with greater competition for places in the team given some exciting and quality additions to our list. There are also seven players who have played 40 to 90 games and could have break out years.

Morrison - DOB 12/11/98, 42 games. His reading of the play and linking up has been very good in all the simulation and match practices.
Worpel - DOB 24/06/99, 48 games. He is looking leaner and covering more ground.
Hardwick - DOB 05/02/97, 82 games. He is fitter, stronger and faster and has been playing on taller opponents. He is kicking longer.
Phillips - DOB 07/05/96, 89 games. A great ready made replacement for 32 year old Isaac Smith.
Howe - DOB 04/12/95, 67 games. After an interrupted pre-season he has been very good over the last month. His bigger body is something we need.
Ceglar - DOB 14/02/91, 89 games. He has enjoyed his first injury free pre-season so hopefully he will compete strongly at the centre bounces. His work around the ground has certainly improved.
O'Brien - DOB 28/03/94, 78 games. He is looking stronger. He was outplayed by DGB in the first practice match, however he was very good with six goals in last week's practice match. His best is good however the question remains can he perform at a consistently high level. I hope so because his versatility would be an asset.

Great post! Thank you.

I'm shocking with dates into ages, so...

Morrison - 22yo - DOB 12/11/98, 42 games. His reading of the play and linking up has been very good in all the simulation and match practices.
Worpel - 22yo - DOB 24/06/99, 48 games. He is looking leaner and covering more ground.
Hardwick - 24yo - DOB 05/02/97, 82 games. He is fitter, stronger and faster and has been playing on taller opponents. He is kicking longer.
Phillips - 24yo - DOB 07/05/96, 89 games. A great ready made replacement for 32 year old Isaac Smith.
Howe - 25yo - DOB 04/12/95, 67 games. After an interrupted pre-season he has been very good over the last month. His bigger body is something we need.
Ceglar - 30yo - DOB 14/02/91, 89 games. He has enjoyed his first injury free pre-season so hopefully he will compete strongly at the centre bounces. His work around the ground has certainly improved.
O'Brien - 26yo - DOB 28/03/94, 78 games. He is looking stronger. He was outplayed by DGB in the first practice match, however he was very good with six goals in last week's practice match. His best is good however the question remains can he perform at a consistently high level. I hope so because his versatility would be an asset.

Thanks to all the training watchers! Gold when you live far away.

Seems like if the new man on the mark rule does make attacking play a bit easier, we'll be advantaged by playing those mobile tall types like Jeka and Kosi rather than, say, Patton - as long as they're ready. Here's hoping. And the short lead-turn-find-someone drill seems like it has that in mind as well.

Nearly 23. In the intra clubs so far has rotated on ball and through the wing. Has good leg speed and is a very good kick. Probably more outside than inside but has been able to find his own ball when needed.

D.O.B: 19/04/1998

Nice age profile. Also, we can do with more leg speed and good kicking.

Dal Santo said the AFL world would be able to tell “within the first month or so” what sort of team the Hawks would be this year...

I bet he also thinks 2 goals is better then 1
It didn't tell us what sort of team we were going to be after our first month last year.

It didn't tell us what sort of team we were going to be after our first month last year.

All forelocks crossed - the first month of this season vs the first month of last season will be very different beasts.

Anomaly of a year after the first patch. the band could seemingly be back together.

Dal Santos comments reads like a horoscope, he may as well have drawn a picture of a fence and him sitting on it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back