Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh thank you .....
My only post on this site was full of complements on how articulate and informative the posts were. Was close to deleting the link and moving on.

Having only seen highlights of the two practice matches its been hard to gauge any discernible change in game style. But what I can say is that I haven’t seen too many centre clearances or anything that appears to be set plays coming off. Have you picked up on anything significant in that space?

based on the two practice games, it is hard to determine if we are approaching stoppages differently except for one clear difference from last year: we are rotating far more players through centre bounces etc. players like Phillips, Moore, Morrison, hanrahan all ran through there yesterday. Clarko has spoken about this and said it is a deliberate move to improve us there, the theory being that it keeps the players fresher and more able to compete at high intensity, and it makes us less predictable.

In terms of ball movement we are looking to move it quickly out of defence and transition the ball into the forward line through runners. While this was fundamentally always the plan we appear better organised and in synch. I think it is clicking for the players despite the large turnover of players this past off season. Will have to wait until round one to see how it stacks up under home and away pressure but we were able to get it going against the dogs.

Watched the replay this morning...

Want to say I am pumped for the season to get under way!
I think that after all of the reports and getting to watch some game time I have the following in mind atm.

Really big on Moore. Tough as nails and loves to football. He will be a mainstay of the club for quite some time.

Brockman and Cyril at the same age are comparable. Absolutely no doubt on what this kid will do for the club moving forward. Wicked!!

Morrison is one that I think will have some very high upside. Very smart and just gets to the right spots.

CJ was outstanding. I’ll take a few shanks if he is attacking the ball and the man like he does.

Thought Phillips on the inside was pretty good. His spread from a stoppage stood out for me as it complimented what we knew of him on the outside. Certainly should not be strung out on a wing.

Downie... Wing lock

Hanrahan really had some fine moments of composure and thought when in traffic. Not a headless chook from what I seen.

Obviously Kosi is the second coming of Jason Dunstall but seriously he has also locked in as an early contributor without too much competition. Lewis will need to work hard here.

All in all I was happy with the North game and the ball movement inside 50.

It is going to be an interesting couple of weeks with Rd 1 rolling around, injuries with players returning and the anticipation of the kids continued good form.

Fantastic time to follow the Hawks

2021 - pre-season-training-watch!!!!!?????
Moderators. Either close the thread or delete the posts not related to training. This may well be my last training post.

It is exciting to see the promising signs shown by Downie, Brocky and Kosi at training, in the match simulations and intra club practice matches shine through against the Bulldogs and Kangaroos. Bramble is a very good signing. Callow has returned to Norwood and Bravo will play for the Dandenong Stingrays which is in their best interests since we were not in a position to make a commitment.
Is that as an over-ager in u18 comp or is that a VFL side?

I’ll let houdinihuddo and Axeman duke it out over what should and shouldn’t be in here, but I’m not sure someone with 2 posts to their name making a declaration of what they deem acceptable for this thread is going to wash. 😂
I will not be duking it out with Axeman. What's not going to wash is you passing judgement on a new poster when the mods should have removed the posts which have no relevance to pre-season training.

Brant: Will Bravo will play as an over-ager in NAB League. I understand the cancellation of football last year will result in a greater number of over-ager players this season.

PhatHQ: It certainly is going to be fantastic time to follow the Hawks with the improvement shown by our under 22 year olds Morrison, Lewis, Worpel, Day, Hanrahan, Scrimshaw, Cousins, Jiath, Greaves, Koschitzke, Moore and Reeves plus the potential of Maginess, Pepper, Morris and Jeka. Add Phillips plus the very promising early signs from draftees DGB, Downie and Brockman for additional optimism.

Accipiter: Adding to Brishawk's response to your question, McEvoy starting in the ruck and a fit Ceglar in support has meant we have been more competitive in the stoppages. Also we have been more offensive with far less backward ball movement. We appear to have adapted well to the new man on the mark rule and the interchange reduction to 75.

I will not be duking it out with Axeman. What's not going to wash is you passing judgement on a new poster when the mods should have removed the posts which have no relevance to pre-season training.

Brant: Will Bravo will play as an over-ager in NAB League. I understand the cancellation of football last year will result in a greater number of over-ager players this season.

PhatHQ: It certainly is going to be fantastic time to follow the Hawks with the improvement shown by our under 22 year olds Morrison, Lewis, Worpel, Day, Hanrahan, Scrimshaw, Cousins, Jiath, Greaves, Koschitzke, Moore and Reeves plus the potential of Maginess, Pepper, Morris and Jeka. Add Phillips plus the very promising early signs from draftees DGB, Downie and Brockman for additional optimism.

Accipiter: Adding to Brishawk's response to your question, McEvoy starting in the ruck and a fit Ceglar in support has meant we have been more competitive in the stoppages. Also we have been more offensive with far less backward ball movement. We appear to have adapted well to the new man on the mark rule and the interchange reduction to 75.
Thanks man.

I guess this shows the wisdom in holding over (at least) 1 spot for the MSD, because there will be a bunch of dudes getting to show their wares for the first time in 18-odd months?

I'm with houdinihuddo on this - can people take their inane off-topic ramblings elsewhere... we have off topic sections, this is for training reports and discussion.

I had a laugh at Axeman's post too but geez... pages of the crap - it's my biggest gripe about the forum, people flog jokes to death.

Apologies to all for my derailing of the training thread. I honestly didn't think it would go past a couple of posts. Like many, I get annoyed when threads are derailed so I should have kept the inane drivel about my lunch to myself.
"You're not you when you're hungry"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies to all for my derailing of the training thread. I honestly didn't think it would go past a couple of posts. Like many, I get annoyed when threads are derailed so I should have kept the inane drivel about my lunch to myself.
You should be sorry Axeman. This is not the exotic meats thread 😂

I wouldn't worry about it. We're coming to the end of pre-season, we're looking great as a side, we should all be enjoying a bit of light hearted banter.

It's not like it's hard to find the training reports in here. They're the lengthy posts with lots of player names in them. All the rest is usually one or two liners, easily scrolled past.

Plus, we should to make it less easy for opposition staff to find the juiciness (the training reports, not the souvas)

If I could give you a red card, I would. That's the kind of delusional and outrageous statement I would expect from an Essendon supporter.
Souvlaki over a kebab every time.
Axeman regardless of meat... personally I'm ok with a turkish bread kebab but the others are rubbish, always take a souvlaki over that... until they started adding chips to hide the mutton... but I digress back where I should be...

So back to the regardless of meat, always been appreciative of your training updates Axeman. Always.

Thankyou for over the years and I hope they long continue.

Thanks houdinihuddo and Brishawk for the updates,

My questions around game style are borne out of a new optimism for the game. So many times last year I saw wide camera shots showing 36 players in one third of the ground. When a team did win the ball and look to launch forward there was nobody to kick to, so it was just a sideways kick back into congestion. I remember Clarko being criticised for deflecting the Hawk’s poor performance ‘post-loss’ when he asked the media if anybody else thought the quality of the modern game was poor (or words to that effect). The fact of the matter is what I saw last year was a rolling bundle of congestion that just relocated to different parts of the ground.

My thoughts on the new rules are that with the man-on-the mark unable to move sideways it will encourage play-on and quicker ball movement. However, this is useless if all the players are behind the ball. So that means players will need to run even harder to get ahead of the ball. By limiting rotations players won’t be able to maintain all of this running, so it will prompt coaches to station more players in their forward halves allowing for, dare I say it, one-on-one and man v/s man contests.

In looking at the list I’m keen to see some big brutes up forward. I’m actually really optimistic around the combination of Lewis, Kosi & Jeka, with perhaps BB able to ragdoll the odd opponent. Also, with an up & coming mosquito fleet I can envisage a mix of players who will be a serious threat.

So, what I’m hoping to see in the game style are two big forwards who are both capable of leading up, or taking a pack mark, with Gunston types playing on the third defender with space to move after quick transition from the back half. Based on Brishawk and Huddo’s comments it seems our midfield mix will have more variety so keen to hear from all on how this is tracking.

Anyway – just my thoughts and, as previously posted, I’m watching from a distance so loving reports from the likes of Axeman and Co.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back