News 2021 pre season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy Lang back training with us again.

40 odd days down before r1 against the crows, who see's it as a danger game first up ?
Hard to say.

I firmly believe that the crows were tanking last year. They have too much experience on the list to have been that bad. They actually challenged us a bit in passages even last year and they don't have to do much at all to be a significantly better side. Plus they've had a longer preseason. We also have a lot of new players that will take time to figure out how to use.

Still, we usually do pretty well in the early part of the season.

cats_09 any training footage of the boys?? Heard a few mention footage of max Holmes that looked impressive. Couldnā€™t find it

There's been a bit on social media this pre-season especially Twitter & Instagram, but the main use seems to be via Instagram stories - so the footage is up for 24 hours and then disappears or something, I believe that's how it works

I've tried recording one of the Cats AFLW Instagram stories but it was like 3 minutes long and I couldn't post it to the forum as it was too big

There's definitely a bit of content out there, it's just being online at the right time to watch it - unless anyone here has ideas of how to record the instagram stories so they can be shared

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about a pre-season puff piece on Parfitt:

Brandan Parfitt: Geelong Cats 2021: Pay back time for Parfitt

GEELONG midfielder Brandan Parfitt says he intends to pay the club back on the field this year after it refused to trade him as part of the deal to land GWS forward Jeremy Cameron.

LACHIE YOUNG, Chief football writer, Geelong Advertiser

GEELONG midfielder Brandan Parfitt says he intends to pay the club back on the field this year after it refused to trade him as part of the deal to land GWS forward Jeremy Cameron.

The 22-year-old was one of several Cats young guns identified by the Giants when the request from Cameron came but he signed a contract extension to the end of 2022 after getting assurance he was not going anywhere.

Parfitt, who has become one of Geelongā€™s most important young players, says he now wants to reward the faith that has shown in him in 2021.

ā€œIt was pretty crazy,ā€ Parfitt said.

ā€œWe agreed upon it (a new deal) about a month in advance and then the whole GWS saga came out and my name was getting thrown around a little bit.

ā€œBut the club was really good to me and they told me I wasnā€™t going anywhere and I was really happy to stay. I was really confident in the club not putting me out there so I am enjoying it here and loving it.

ā€œAt the back of your mind it always feels good knowing that you are wanted at a club and the coaches have been awesome to me throughout my whole playing career in giving me opportunities to play, so I am just happy to do the right thing by the club now.ā€

Having broken his thumb just minutes into the 2020 grand final loss to Richmond Parfitt has been trouble free this summer, producing one of his most consistent pre-seasons since being drafted in 2016.

As he enters his fifth AFL season he said the natural improvement in his game would be made easier by staying on the training track for longer periods this year.

ā€œI try to improve every year and I think I have got a little bit better in little aspects of professional football so hopefully I can take the next step this year,ā€ he said.

ā€œI think it is pretty simple, just staying out on the training track and taking care of my body are probably the biggest things. In the past I have sort of been up and down with my body and not been able to train and missing out a couple of weeks through injury, and then (having) inconsistencies with that.

ā€œBut I think I am going pretty well with my body and the more training I do the more consistent I will be out there on the field. I have probably had a good run the last month and half and I probably havenā€™t had a good run since my first preseason.

ā€œBut I am going well now and hopefully I can just stay at it.ā€

Now this is a puff piece I can get behind!

Huge fan of Parfitts, sounds as though he has a strong relationship with the club.

obligatory ā€˜I reckon heā€™ll be our next captainā€™ prediction ..

pretty quiet out of skilled stadium this pre season. Usually an abundance of huff and puff, but nothing

I think what didn't help champion data is that for years they've been tasked to invent stats to reflect applied pressure and repeatedly told how important that is. As a result they measure things which are poorly defined or have big impacts on certain passages of play and none for the same act in others. The truth is there are too many degrees of freedom to define adequately what makes a good afl player. I do not envy them trying to quantify it

Champion data is good for raw stats and supercoach points. That's it.
When they try to do ranking systems (particularly for players) they lose a lot of credibility and it becomes a joke.

The year we got rid of Menzel, Champion Data had him ranked as an elite forward of the competition.
Enough said.

In fairness the last 30 years is all we have of a national competition where football players were professionals whose job was football. Before that it was almost a different game.
I would assume that one thing that created rivalries were the genuine dislike and the fierce competiveness that players had.

I doubt Chappie or Scarlett had friends at St Kilda or Collingwood or Hawthorn. And that era before - those guys didnā€™t transfer teams so comfortably like it happens today and appeared to be fiercely loyal to the team itself.

These days, rivalries seem concocted by marketing departments, often undermined by social media that shows players holidaying with each other etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back