News 2021 pre season training

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually thought the same thing then checked
It’s our turn to win, been like a yo-yo for years
When we win it’s always by 20+
so
There’s the first leg of your multi
Actually not a bad call. Both sides have a list in flux that will drive different outcomes.

Bombers would be keen to experiment. They're not close and need to figure out what good looks like for them. Will be willing to get flattened if they learn a thing.

Cats will have a group that they think is the right mix but hasn't played a lot together. Will move heaven and earth to get as many minutes into their best 22 as possible. Would want to put their best foot forward from ball up.

Do betting agencies take bets on preseason games?

I thought it was a night game.
Match was originally scheduled for 4pm on Friday, but the AFLW decided to schedule Geelong vs Richmond at KP on Friday night

That means the men will now be playing in the morning, match starting at 11 am

For folks who are interested - here is a thread for our preseason match

Because it requires a fundamental change to the game style that got us to a grand final. Cameron is a phenomenal player no doubt but you have to figure out how to use them, and who is to say that when you do you haven't created a bigger hole having done so.

My fear is that fast entries with much reduced forward defensive pressure will lead to fast rebounds against us. Our defenders are cohesive as a group but mostly not individually brilliant, we rely on stacking the backline with 190cm+ types to prevent long kicks and fast entries. If they're rebounding off our attack then chances are there's overlap runners and out of position defenders. Our whole game style since we lost Mackie/Lonergan to retirement and Harry/Hendo to injury in the same season has protected those defenders with slow ball movement and no one has any idea how it'll look when it changes.

I'm just saying we complain about having forwards who don't kick goals but there a chance we could miss them when they're gone
The game style that lost us a grand final. Lost us numerous prelims. The game style that has failed us given we have had the most talented list in the league since 2016.

ps. We abandoned the game style in the collingwood semi and brisbane prelim Cos it failed us once against in the first final again port.

its a game style that has resulted in this geelong team having the worst finals record over a decade in afl history.

Last edited:

Whether this whole thing works out or not (I, for one, am glad they are doing something about the inane interference with the game by players on and around the mark), it makes sense that there are consequences for both the player on the mark and the player taking the kick. To slap the defending player with concrete boots while allowing the attacking player to waltz around wherever they liked would have been utterly ridiculous.

Not sure they'll be able to get the balance right (and Gryan most certainly appears to be one of the key players in the gun here), but there is at least the possibility of some consistency for both attackers and defenders in the approach being advocated here.

The game style that lost us a grand final. Lost us numerous prelims. The game style that has failed us given we have had the most talented list in the league since 2016.

ps. We abandoned the game style in the collingwood semi and brisbane prelim Cos it failed us once against in the first final again port.

its a game style that has resulted in this geelong team having the worst finals record over a decade in afl history.
images (4).jpeg

Whether this whole thing works out or not (I, for one, am glad they are doing something about the inane interference with the game by players on and around the mark), it makes sense that there are consequences for both the player on the mark and the player taking the kick. To slap the defending player with concrete boots while allowing the attacking player to waltz around wherever they liked would have been utterly ridiculous.

Not sure they'll be able to get the balance right (and Gryan most certainly appears to be one of the key players in the gun here), but there is at least the possibility of some consistency for both attackers and defenders in the approach being advocated here.
First reports are that it's pretty effective

There are therefore 16 other teams with a game style that couldn't even make the GF. And, year on year, 14 other teams with a game style that can't make a PF.

And as for having the most talented list in the league, I would seriously dispute that. We have some incredible top end talent, no doubt. And then a bunch of players at a relatively ordinary level. I would see several clubs as having good claims to being more talented than us since 2016. Giants, Power (of 2020 vintage) and Eagles all spring to mind, for a start. And despite my reservations about their overall level of talent, many would say the Tigers are clearly in front of us as well.

As for your point about abandoning the game style for last year's SF and PF, how do you explain why this supposed abandonment didn't extend to the GF, then? Why would the club go back to a game style that had (according to you) clearly failed them when it came to the biggest game the club had played for 10 years?

The club's game style is not incredibly broken. It scores more and concedes less than virtually every other team in the comp, year after year. All fine to say you can't stand the way the club plays. But to suggest that it is woefully ineffective is objectively nonsensical and not in keeping with the continually mounting evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
Interesting way of dealing with facts. If facts are new lets discuss. If facts are ongoing, persistent and continual lets deny and deflect and ignore. The human condition is quite bizarre. We are indeed not gods but simply mammals.

while our game plan continues to get beaten by the flag winners who have a different game plan i will continue to support changing the game plan. Bizarre that you wouldnt.

No it doesnt.

an effective way to have high scoring and down the middle play is when one team gets the ball you ban the opposition from going in the centre square and make all defenders in the defensive 50 zone hop on one leg. The average score for the game would be in the 300s.

there are right ways of doing it and wrong ways. Making the marking defender have stone legs is not all that different to making them hop on one leg. Its a ridiculous unsatisfactory way of achieving a goal. It may achieve it. But the goal is too narrow and incomplete.

Interesting way of dealing with facts. If facts are new lets discuss. If facts are ongoing, persistent and continual lets deny and deflect and ignore. The human condition is quite bizarre. We are indeed not gods but simply mammals.

while our game plan continues to get beaten by the flag winners who have a different game plan i will continue to support changing the game plan. Bizarre that you wouldnt.
If you want to speak facts then perhaps be a little less selective with them. The game style we have has made us better than our list, that's the main fact and one you seem to ignore most fervently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it doesnt.

an effective way to have high scoring and down the middle play is when one team gets the ball you ban the opposition from going in the centre square and make all defenders in the defensive 50 zone hop on one leg. The average score for the game would be in the 300s.

there are right ways of doing it and wrong ways. Making the marking defender have stone legs is not all that different to making them hop on one leg. Its a ridiculous unsatisfactory way of achieving a goal. It may achieve it. But the goal is too narrow and incomplete.
Okey dokey

I don't completely hate the rule, as I have played heaps of sports where you have to stand still when others have the ball in some circumstances (i.e in a wall for a soccer free kick, or when you give away a penalty in netball) I just worry that you are removing something ingrained in football and applying the harshest penalty.

Hopefully they don't bring it in at lower levels.

Jumping around on the mark and trying to put someone off while a player has a set shot is one of the more interesting aspects of our game.

Regarding this rule, does anyone know what happens in the following circumstance?

Tuohy marks, siren goes to end the match. Player on the mark (39) stands like a statue, but can the other players stand behind him and jump around to put Tuohy off?

I.e like this
1614229935529.png

Who also defeated us during the finals in all three of their recent premiership runs as well.

I think whatever interference that does occur is pretty minor. To me it's un unwanted rule change that is trying to solve a problem that largely doesn't exist.

Lousy article that one.

He mentions how "entertaining, free-flowing and high-scoring" the game was. Never seemed to occurred to him that as it's a practice match the coaches may not quite approach it with the same intensity as one for premiership points.

Journalists just have to suck up to the league now it seems.

Lousy article that one.

He mentions how "entertaining, free-flowing and high-scoring" the game was. Never seemed to occurred to him that as it's a practice match the coaches may not quite approach it with the same intensity as one for premiership points.

Journalists just have to suck up to the league now it seems.
Well it is a first report, not a comprehensive run down

I don't completely hate the rule, as I have played heaps of sports where you have to stand still when others have the ball in some circumstances (i.e in a wall for a soccer free kick, or when you give away a penalty in netball) I just worry that you are removing something ingrained in football and applying the harshest penalty.

Hopefully they don't bring it in at lower levels.

Jumping around on the mark and trying to put someone off while a player has a set shot is one of the more interesting aspects of our game.

Regarding this rule, does anyone know what happens in the following circumstance?

Tuohy marks, siren goes to end the match. Player on the mark (39) stands like a statue, but can the other players stand behind him and jump around to put Tuohy off?

I.e like this
View attachment 1065092

The teammates of the player on the mark probably can still carry on with jumping around & trying to put off said player, but they can't be standing beside their teammate on the mark when doing so

One part of the rule change which hasn't often been mentioned (and was bloody hard to find confirmation of is this) - There is also a new five-metre protected area around the player on the mark that even teammates are not allowed to enter.

So no teammates or opponents within 5m of the player on the mark

The teammates of the player on the mark probably can still carry on with jumping around & trying to put off said player, but they can't be standing beside their teammate on the mark when doing so

One part of the rule change which hasn't often been mentioned (and was bloody hard to find confirmation of is this) - There is also a new five-metre protected area around the player on the mark that even teammates are not allowed to enter.

So no teammates or opponents within 5m of the player on the mark
Yeah seen it mentioned early on,but not the penalty for the transgression.

Yeah seen it mentioned early on,but not the penalty for the transgression.
Guessing that if it's a teammate of the man on the mark that it would be a 50m penalty, the same as if the man on the mark moves too far off his line (apparently meant to be like a metre leeway)

If it's an opposition player who transgresses and moves within the 5m protected zone, I would guess it's maybe a free kick awarded to the man on the mark - but knowing how the umpires generally work, in this case the player will be told to leave the protected zone and there would be no penalty for interfering with the man on the mark

Basically just screw the defensive side/team without the ball, rather than the team with the ball

Guessing that if it's a teammate of the man on the mark that it would be a 50m penalty, the same as if the man on the mark moves too far off his line (apparently meant to be like a metre leeway)

If it's an opposition player who transgresses and moves within the 5m protected zone, I would guess it's maybe a free kick awarded to the man on the mark - but knowing how the umpires generally work, in this case the player will be told to leave the protected zone and there would be no penalty for interfering with the man on the mark

Basically just screw the defensive side/team without the ball, rather than the team with the ball
And watch each Umpire interpret it differently

Would hope it would be a turnover.
By the way while just looking for the answer unsuccessfully I read 3 AFL articles on the new man on the mark, one saying no movement at all, one allowing minimal movement what ever that is, and the other up to one a 1mtr lateral tolerance. Clear as mud.

Would hope it would be a turnover.
By the way while just looking for the answer unsuccessfully I read 3 AFL articles on the new man on the mark, one saying no movement at all, one allowing minimal movement what ever that is, and the other up to one a 1mtr lateral tolerance. Clear as mud.

Same in regards to the allowed movement - seems that when it was first discussed last year it was minimal lateral movement of that 1m - 2m, then it was up to 1m and now they've decided to scrap any movement, and I guess considering how umpires can't tell what 15m is that some may have trouble telling how far 1m is

Apparently the umpires are going to be quicker to call play on should the player with the ball step off their line - would bloody hope so because if the man on the mark isn't allowed any lateral movement without it being a 50m penalty then the player with the ball shouldn't be allowed any lateral movement either

Remove this Banner Ad

Back