News 2021 pre season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Same in regards to the allowed movement - seems that when it was first discussed last year it was minimal lateral movement of that 1m - 2m, then it was up to 1m and now they've decided to scrap any movement, and I guess considering how umpires can't tell what 15m is that some may have trouble telling how far 1m is

Apparently the umpires are going to be quicker to call play on should the player with the ball step off their line - would bloody hope so because if the man on the mark isn't allowed any lateral movement without it being a 50m penalty then the player with the ball shouldn't be allowed any lateral movement either
this where they could have started with their changes, or at least have the understanding that their voice is too far behind the reactions and let it go because they know they man on the mark only went over AFTER the ball possessor had moved. They've been way too pedantic about this in the past. The ump could have gotten caught swallowing or coughing when the guys plays on etc.
I also think they could organize themselves better in these situations. One places the mark and is responsible for encroachment. Another has made sure he has line of sight with both players and he is one who calls play on and going early. Something along these lines.
But the simplest solution, like most in AFL is to just use good judgement about whether the defensive player went before the actual going off the line, NOT the ump's sound. Hell, every other rule is adjudicated subjectively anyway; why not this one? ;)

Same in regards to the allowed movement - seems that when it was first discussed last year it was minimal lateral movement of that 1m - 2m, then it was up to 1m and now they've decided to scrap any movement, and I guess considering how umpires can't tell what 15m is that some may have trouble telling how far 1m is

Apparently the umpires are going to be quicker to call play on should the player with the ball step off their line - would bloody hope so because if the man on the mark isn't allowed any lateral movement without it being a 50m penalty then the player with the ball shouldn't be allowed any lateral movement either
A couple of things the rule always was the player with the mark or free was required to kick over the mark or it was play on,I can't ever remember it being ever seriously enforced,some players including myself back in the day will find that difficult to handle ,me with chronic groin issues simply had no penetration in kicking with out swinging the leg across the body and it's the preferred technique for many players as well so more inclined to come off the line, all AFL coaches will be noting them and players focusing more diligently see Miers and Buddy.Always envious of those like Hawkins and Senior with a dead strait run up roosting it 60mtrs plus.

Guessing that if it's a teammate of the man on the mark that it would be a 50m penalty, the same as if the man on the mark moves too far off his line (apparently meant to be like a metre leeway)

If it's an opposition player who transgresses and moves within the 5m protected zone, I would guess it's maybe a free kick awarded to the man on the mark - but knowing how the umpires generally work, in this case the player will be told to leave the protected zone and there would be no penalty for interfering with the man on the mark

Basically just screw the defensive side/team without the ball, rather than the team with the ball

Will be interesting to see if there is any manifest change to the game as a result of the new man on the mark rule.

I think it's designed to give the kicker and offensive team more options - too often now you see the man on the mark influence where the kick goes by setting up where he doesn't want the kick to go. For instance man on the mark denies a corridor or switch kick by moving to cover that area - the rest of the defence adjusts knowing the kick will now most likely go down the line. That's my take on it anyway.
In principal I don't mind the concept , let's see how it pans out.

Will be interesting to see if there is any manifest change to the game as a result of the new man on the mark rule.

I think it's designed to give the kicker and offensive team more options - too often now you see the man on the mark influence where the kick goes by setting up where he doesn't want the kick to go. For instance man on the mark denies a corridor or switch kick by moving to cover that area - the rest of the defence adjusts knowing the kick will now most likely go down the line. That's my take on it anyway.
In principal I don't mind the concept , let's see how it pans out.
Its to encourage the risky 45 kick, something we don't do. So it will be interesting to see if we continue our long and steady down the wings approach.

The only positive with this new rule for us is with the amount of marks we take, we are going to get a few very soft 50m pens because teams are going to slip up at some point when taking the mark.

Actually not a bad call. Both sides have a list in flux that will drive different outcomes.

Bombers would be keen to experiment. They're not close and need to figure out what good looks like for them. Will be willing to get flattened if they learn a thing.

Cats will have a group that they think is the right mix but hasn't played a lot together. Will move heaven and earth to get as many minutes into their best 22 as possible. Would want to put their best foot forward from ball up.

Do betting agencies take bets on preseason games?
Not really sure but can’t see why they wouldn’t

Its to encourage the risky 45 kick, something we don't do. So it will be interesting to see if we continue our long and steady down the wings approach.

The only positive with this new rule for us is with the amount of marks we take, we are going to get a few very soft 50m pens because teams are going to slip up at some point when taking the mark.
and will undoubtedly give up some too :)

Hey guys, fantasy question here.

Just wondering if the Cats have any draftees from either 2020, or the last couple years who are doing well in the intra-club games/scratch match from this week. Would you expect them to be best 22?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, fantasy question here.

Just wondering if the Cats have any draftees from either 2020, or the last couple years who are doing well in the intra-club games/scratch match from this week. Would you expect them to be best 22?

Thanks in advance.
Put a circle around Frances Evens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can't change the man on the mark has the umpire f’ed up not dragging no36 back to the goal line?
Good question - not sure how it works with 50m penalties, because does that mean with the new mark that a new player can stand on it?

If you can't change the man on the mark has the umpire f’ed up not dragging no36 back to the goal line?

Wouldn't make much difference....I guess he could have imposed another 50 metre penalty and put #36 in the car park.

Someone better remind Tuohy that he can't turn his back when manning the mark

Fair to say, this isn't how the rule change was meant to be interpreted.
My understanding is the rule change was about rotating players on/off the mark as well as players moving laterally. Happy to be corrected.
In the practice match both the Cats and Pies players seemed to adjust well to the rule tweak.
In theory I don't mind the rule change, it's how the umpires are going to interpret it is the problem.
The umps have 1 more game to get this right before the season starts. I'm not holding my breath.

I just wonder if the new rule can be gamed by the kicker by faking the move off the line to get the guy manning to twitch. In rugby union the scrum-half can do that at a scrum to draw an offsides, I can see some these guys giving it a try. I think the first few weeks are going be an absolute cluster-*.

I just wonder if the new rule can be gamed by the kicker by faking the move off the line to get the guy manning to twitch. In rugby union the scrum-half can do that at a scrum to draw an offsides, I can see some these guys giving it a try. I think the first few weeks are going be an absolute cluster-*.
Maybe but I think the umpires will be very quick to call play on after it happens the first time. Wouldn't work twice I think

Not our preseason but poor old Cocky has done a hammy and is “racing the clock” for Rd 1.

I'm confused.
Rd1 2023 or Rd1 2024?

I thought the warm weather and Shamans they have for doctors at Brisbane would cure all his ills.

In all seriousness I wish him the best, likable guy and his talents are missed in the AFL.

Last edited:
IMO the man on the mark rule should apply everywhere on the ground except when having a shot for goal
Then it totally makes sense

I genuinely feel like it will change to that after 1 season

Didn't know where else to post this, so decided to do it here. An accident left a young Cats fan without the use of his legs. The club got wind of it and sent him a video to pass on their best wishes....

Not sure why Tom Atkins is his favourite player though..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back