News 2021 pre season training

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
According to this article:

1. Monday December 7 to Friday December 18
  • First – fourth year players to complete a two-week block of training between December 7 – 18, with all normal hours / days off a week applicable per the CBA.
2. Wednesday January 6 to Saturday February 13
  • Players, including players to be selected in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft, to participate in the AFLPA Induction Camp and the AFLPA Delegates Conference as required on January 4 and January 5, 2021.
  • All players to return to training on January 6 to complete a six-week block, with all normal hours / days off a week applicable per the CBA.
3. Sunday February 14 to the commencement of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
  • A further four-week block of full training in preparation for the commencement of the Home & Away season.
This pre-season model is as a result of a season impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic and at this stage is only in place ahead of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. No timeline or structure has been set for future pre-seasons.

My Third Nipple

Senior List
Mar 2, 2010
Freezer
AFL Club
Geelong
Not the start to the 2021 season with 2 senior club doctors quitting on the eve pre season. Obviously somethings gone down.
Any docs on Cats bigfooty?

Not the start to the 2021 season with 2 senior club doctors quitting on the eve pre season. Obviously somethings gone down.
Any docs on Cats bigfooty?

All that's gone down is that AFL clubs are facing reduced football club budgets going into next season and potentially beyond - that means positions such as the club doctors are facing up to 20% salary reduction

Geelong has lost 5 members from their medical team - Geoff Allen and Drew Slimmon, physiotherapists Mark Young and Hamish Macauley and head strength and conditioning coach Chris Dennis have all moved on

Doctors at other AFL clubs have recently stepped aside also, and it's expected that more teams will be losing members of their medical department

Need to remember that club doctors don't necessarily work just for the club - some/many have their own practices or work elsewhere, so it's a lot of pressure on them with their primary job and then the club work on top of that. Factor in that going forward they'll be on reduced pay at the club, but the workload at the club isn't going to reduce & if anything it's going to increase; not surprising to see some making the decision to move on and try to find better balance in life

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
All that's gone down is that AFL clubs are facing reduced football club budgets going into next season and potentially beyond - that means positions such as the club doctors are facing up to 20% salary reduction

Geelong has lost 5 members from their medical team - Geoff Allen and Drew Slimmon, physiotherapists Mark Young and Hamish Macauley and head strength and conditioning coach Chris Dennis have all moved on

Doctors at other AFL clubs have recently stepped aside also, and it's expected that more teams will be losing members of their medical department

Need to remember that club doctors don't necessarily work just for the club - some/many have their own practices or work elsewhere, so it's a lot of pressure on them with their primary job and then the club work on top of that. Factor in that going forward they'll be on reduced pay at the club, but the workload at the club isn't going to reduce & if anything it's going to increase; not surprising to see some making the decision to move on and try to trying better balance in life

Agree with all of that. It's disappointing, but hardly surprising.

Im any normal time, I would be thinking poorly of the club given that exodus.

Given the financial restrictions being placed on the clubs, and the fact that none of the demands will reduce fo the medical positions, you cant blame the club here IMO.

Is it ideal - 1000% no - but whom here would continue to work at a place that wants you to do at the very least the same, if not more for 20-25% less when you more than lilely can keep that 20% and probably do less work and time at their normal practices.

What i will expect is poorer medical issues thru the season as a result. Good Dr's are hard to find.

Go Catters

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Need to remember that club doctors don't necessarily work just for the club - some/many have their own practices or work elsewhere, so it's a lot of pressure on them with their primary job and then the club work on top of that. Factor in that going forward they'll be on reduced pay at the club, but the workload at the club isn't going to reduce & if anything it's going to increase; not surprising to see some making the decision to move on and try to find better balance in life

Think it says the docs are expecting some more hubs. Makes it tough to work in your own business in VIC if you are holed up in QLD.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

Given the financial restrictions being placed on the clubs, and the fact that none of the demands will reduce fo the medical positions, you cant blame the club here IMO.

Is it ideal - 1000% no - but whom here would continue to work at a place that wants you to do at the very least the same, if not more for 20-25% less when you more than lilely can keep that 20% and probably do less work and time at their normal practices.

What i will expect is poorer medical issues thru the season as a result. Good Dr's are hard to find.

Go Catters
I think all clubs will be in the same position.
And who knows? Maybe clubs had too many doctors?
As far as I'm aware doctors don't do rehab and all that, they are there at game days and training to administer injections and concussion tests and such.
Surely one is enough. I don't think it will create poorer medical issues and stuff.

Think it says the docs are expecting some more hubs. Makes it tough to work in your own business in VIC if you are holed up in QLD.

There's an article in the Geelong Addy (which I kinda paraphrased above), but also from it:

- Allen has been in the role since 2005 and Slimmon started in 2011.

So both have been with the club long term, for those who have forgotten Geoff Allen had a heart attack on the ground before our clash with Adelaide back in 2010. He had every reason to walk away from the club 10 years ago & focus more on himself at that stage

Allen also has a general practice in Point Lonsdale

You then consider that both traveled across Aus with the team & were in the hub for over 100 days - it's not surprising that that's employees within sections of the club who are considering their options for the future, especially with things unknown ahead of next season

For those who want to access the article - https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...n/news-story/c28a476f2d0a207bf59b8badc23e7a60

Agree with that.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
There's an article in the Geelong Addy (which I kinda paraphrased above), but also from it:

- Allen has been in the role since 2005 and Slimmon started in 2011.

So both have been with the club long term, for those who have forgotten Geoff Allen had a heart attack on the ground before our clash with Adelaide back in 2010. He had every reason to walk away from the club 10 years ago & focus more on himself at that stage

Allen also has a general practice in Point Lonsdale

You then consider that both traveled across Aus with the team & were in the hub for over 100 days - it's not surprising that that's employees within sections of the club who are considering their options for the future, especially with things unknown ahead of next season

For those who want to access the article - https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...n/news-story/c28a476f2d0a207bf59b8badc23e7a60
And 2011 at the same ground (was Jimmy Bartels 200) he treated a relo of mine for a suspected heart attack at the ground.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

Go Catters
I assume, due to the lower salary, that less experienced or less qualified medical staff will fill the roles. Understaffing may also occur. So yeah, it's a real possibility that we see more medical issues or slower recovery times.

I think all clubs will be in the same position.
And who knows? Maybe clubs had too many doctors?
As far as I'm aware doctors don't do rehab and all that, they are there at game days and training to administer injections and concussion tests and such.
Surely one is enough. I don't think it will create poorer medical issues and stuff.
What happens when a player goes down with concussion and needs testing?
What happens when a player needs suturing?
What happens when a player comes off and needs monitoring?
The game does not stop because a doc is unavailable for 15 minutes.
Of course 2 docs are essential. Both pragmatically and medicolegally.
Sometimes in games, both docs are attending to different injured players.
Of course it will.

I assume, due to the lower salary, that less experienced or less qualified medical staff will fill the roles. Understaffing may also occur. So yeah, it's a real possibility that we see more medical issues or slower recovery times.

Very unlikely.
Although the 2 leaving are excellent and highly experienced, there are also highly credentialled aspirants awaiting such opportunities in Geelong as we speak.
THey will not rush this decision.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
What happens when a player goes down with concussion and needs testing?
What happens when a player needs suturing?
What happens when a player comes off and needs monitoring?
The game does not stop because a doc is unavailable for 15 minutes.
Of course 2 docs are essential. Both pragmatically and medicolegally.
Sometimes in games, both docs are attending to different injured players.
Of course it will.
Unless there's hubs again just get an extra doc for game day. Not that hard.
Not even. A nurse could easily do all that stuff.
When there's a really serious injury they're straight in the ambulance anyway.
Doc is mainly there to allow and document injections.

All I want for Christmas is for chook to run a decent 2km
Not sure what they've doing this year, but I seem to recall that they've stopped doing the 2km time trail in recent years and instead it's been like a 15 minute run with no finish line - how far can you run during that time and can you keep up with the likes of Blicavs, Menegola & I think O'Connor's been up there also

Back