News 2021 pre season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless everyone of the members get a different link, I dare say it will be shared pretty quickly on here anyway
I’m an AFL member and if I don’t get a link I’ll be pissed
I'm guessing you'd have to enter some membership info to go get past authentication.

It says livestream but it's 11am on a Friday. Any indication we could watch it later that day etc?

Thank you for this.

I have previously pondered if Okunbar had similar attributes to Cockatoo, because I’ve seen him look very athletic in the vids I’ve seen of him. Here’s hoping that this is why they wished cocky well and let him leave so easily.

Very different IMO. Cockatoo came with all the tools except consistency, but he was a kid. Cockatoo goes in short sharp bursts. Injury might stop him ever developing to a standard that matches the promise he showed early on.

Okunbur at training and in early VFL games was a long way back, nothing natural except running power (short and long distances) and a slightly bigger body that looks purpose built for AFL. If he has mastered the basic skills (finding position, hence the pill and kicking) he is a chance. Okunbur glides across the ground but I have only ever seen him playing on the outside in drills or games. He has the body to attack a pack or two. Hopefully his heel is fully repaired.

If Stephan does step up it will be a huge bonus.

I'm guessing you'd have to enter some membership info to go get past authentication.

It says livestream but it's 11am on a Friday. Any indication we could watch it later that day etc?
Probably just have to enter the password Geelongstrong or whatever their new slogan is this year. They used that same password for all home andaway ticketmaster games last year meaning anyone could get early tickets meant just for members if they have the password. No need to enter member number.

Where can i/we watch Friday night's game ?
I believe the club has advised that members will emailed a link prior to the commencement of the game

I also believe that members often share these links so others can also watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL 2021: Lance Franklin’s natural kicking arc could cause the Sydney Swans star trouble as AFL umpires told to tighten interpretation
The AFL world melted down over footage of a new rule enforced in Essendon’s intra-club match. And there’s a secret twist that’s bad news for Buddy.
Sam Landsberger

The “Buddy Franklin kicking arc” is dead.

As the football world goes into meltdown over footage of a 50m paid in an Essendon intra-club match, the Herald Sun can reveal there is a secret twist to the controversial new rule governing players standing on the mark.

AFL umpires have been instructed to call “play on” whenever a player deviates off his line after taking a mark or being awarded a free kick.

The kicker now has to be in a direct line with the attacking goals, no matter where on the ground the mark or free kick is paid.

This could spell problems for Franklin who has an exaggerated arc to the left when he has kicking at goal.

This stricter interpretation has been coached to umpires over the pre-season, but it has not yet been communicated by the AFL

Given that the player on the mark has effectively been “spared” — made inactive because he now has to remain stationary or give away 50m — the expectation is that the kicker must execute along the correct line.

Without that rule in place, the player in possession could simply evade the man on the mark by running around him.

Signalling “play on” will bring the man on the mark back into action.

According to umpires, no longer will Franklin be allowed to wheel on to his left foot — in what has become one of football’s most symbolic sights — without “play on” being called.

The Herald Sun has contacted Sydney Swans for feedback.

Similarly, any AFL player who strays from that straight line in search of extra distance will also be called to play on.

Multiple umpiring sources have confirmed that if any player wanders off their direct line of kick – either through a natural arc or to get an advantage – play on will be called, so long as it is obvious to the umpire that has occurred.

Umpires are privately being told to be vigilant. The new rule has not gone down well with some, who fear they are on a hiding to nothing this season. They have voiced their feedback to AFL House.

The league bent its own rules to protect Franklin’s arc 10 years ago.

In 2011 umpires were told that players “who have a natural arc in their kicking action” would be allowed leeway before being called to play on.

But AFL umpires’ coach Hayden Kennedy reiterated at a recent training session that the rule had been tightened by lawmakers, and they must now call play-on as soon as players go off their direct line.

The whistleblowers immediately raised Franklin as an example, and were told that he, too, has to kick over the player on the mark.

They are sceptical because it is yet another grey part of the game to police.

Any time a player backs off, and it is noticeable to the umpire that he has backed off more north-south, it will be called “play on”.

The player must be on the most direct line as possible approaching the kick as well.

AFL umpires say this new interpretation hasn’t been put to the test yet. They are awaiting an example at the upcoming trial games.

The new man on the mark rule was almost a non-event at the Western Bulldogs-Hawthorn match.

Onlookers said that Marcus Bontempelli gave away a 50m penalty late in the game, but simply forgot about the new rule and immediately put up his hand to apologise.

This may be an open article and not behind a pay wall

Why would that make you nervous. That would be awesome. Camerons strength is his mobility so he really is a medium anyway.
Because it requires a fundamental change to the game style that got us to a grand final. Cameron is a phenomenal player no doubt but you have to figure out how to use them, and who is to say that when you do you haven't created a bigger hole having done so.

My fear is that fast entries with much reduced forward defensive pressure will lead to fast rebounds against us. Our defenders are cohesive as a group but mostly not individually brilliant, we rely on stacking the backline with 190cm+ types to prevent long kicks and fast entries. If they're rebounding off our attack then chances are there's overlap runners and out of position defenders. Our whole game style since we lost Mackie/Lonergan to retirement and Harry/Hendo to injury in the same season has protected those defenders with slow ball movement and no one has any idea how it'll look when it changes.

I'm just saying we complain about having forwards who don't kick goals but there a chance we could miss them when they're gone

I wish we had anyone but the Bombers they're ******* boring as bat sh*t.
It's because when the 2 teams meet during the season for the "Country Match" it's played in the middle of the CBD at the largest stadium in Aus

By also playing against each other in the preseason they can schedule the match in a somewhat regional location and thus pretend that there's actually something country related to the contest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back