Training 2021 Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think we probably had a stronger team out relative to the squads but can't find much to be unhappy about that hit-out.

The biggest wins from that:
Meek was fantastic. Competed hard all day and really seems to have some skills and mobility.

Treacy looks like a serious prospect. He's a big kid with strong hands, a kick like Pav (he eased it through at post height from 45) and he appears to be quite nimble and have a footy brain. Could be our biggest steal since Fyfe. At 18!

Freddy, damn this kid can play. I loved it in a recent interview when he said he was looking to improve his composure and give himself more time to make decisions, which was the biggest knock on him last year. Skills were always there and awareness/peripheral vision.

Henry can football but I guess we all knew that. Nice to have it confirmed though.

Watson looked like a 200 gamer at times. Will be very stiff not to play.

Serong is a rolled gold A grader already. Was everywhere. He does so much quick stuff inside you don't realise how much he's racking up stats & he tackled like a demon.

Brayshaw superb, Young looks like he's picking up where he left off, ditto Hamling, Cox, Switta had some nice moments, Mundy doesn't age, Fyfe is the best.

Probably missed a few.
Overall an enjoyable scratchy, skills and ball movement in general were great!
The biggest downside for me would be our forward entries.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Calm down. I've been following Freo way too long to get excited by a key forward that takes one decent mark in a practice game.
But Ryan Murphy. And that Adam Kiwi guy. And Tanner Smith, Luke Strandica - and Hugh Bloody Dixon!
(Then of course there’s Croad, Tarrant, McCarthy and Hogan!)

Come on Rob - with that track record you are mad not to get on the Treacy Train now lest you be called a Bandwagonner when he wins the 2023 Coleman!!

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Very good final score when you consider we were only 3 goals close to the end of the 2nd quarter.

Frederick looked the player that had the most noticeable change in physique.

Think Serong is a bit undersized compared to the more seasoned mids but he's smart in the way he picks what will keep him in a contest around the ball.

When the ball is in the hands of Cerra, Young and Walters - get very excited about the way the play will open up.

Just a little glimpse on the boundary line of Henry evading tackles in a similar manner to the clip from Walters last week.

Worst bit of play was in the 2nd quarter when we had a really clean chain of handballs out of the defensive 50m and had 3 players on 1 in the middle streaming forward. Not sure what was ahead of play but somehow we chipped it sideways and the ball ended up where the 50m arc met the boundary line.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
I think we probably had a stronger team out relative to the squads but can't find much to be unhappy about that hit-out.

The biggest wins from that:
Meek was fantastic. Competed hard all day and really seems to have some skills and mobility.

Treacy looks like a serious prospect. He's a big kid with strong hands, a kick like Pav (he eased it through at post height from 45) and he appears to be quite nimble and have a footy brain. Could be our biggest steal since Fyfe. At 18!

Freddy, damn this kid can play. I loved it in a recent interview when he said he was looking to improve his composure and give himself more time to make decisions, which was the biggest knock on him last year. Skills were always there and awareness/peripheral vision.

Henry can football but I guess we all knew that. Nice to have it confirmed though.

Watson looked like a 200 gamer at times. Will be very stiff not to play.

Serong is a rolled gold A grader already. Was everywhere. He does so much quick stuff inside you don't realise how much he's racking up stats & he tackled like a demon.

Brayshaw superb, Young looks like he's picking up where he left off, ditto Hamling, Cox, Switta had some nice moments, Mundy doesn't age, Fyfe is the best.

Probably missed a few.
Overall an enjoyable scratchy, skills and ball movement in general were great!

Did Henry get much mid time today?

crazylegsdayne

Debutant
Jul 2, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
When the ball is in the hands of Cerra, Young and Walters - get very excited about the way the play will open up.
I appear to be in the extreme minority but I was a bit underwhelmed by Young today, at least by his lofty expectations and standards. I thought there were a fair few kicks of his that didn't find their targets. Also the one knock on him throughout the draft process was questions about his foot speed, and i'd say it's a bit borderline. He didn't get caught holding the ball but there were a few close calls and desperation handballs as he was getting hauled down. Not trying to sound too negative as I'm a big fan of his, I just wish we'd seen a bit more of his lethal left boot on full display.

crazylegsdayne

Debutant
Jul 2, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cox > Pearce. At least for the time being.

I thought Cox was fantastic again today and fully deserves his spot in the 22 as it stands. Play Pearce in games where we truly need him against standout KPF's but otherwise I'm putting Hamling on the tallest man and letting Cox continue on his form from last year.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I appear to be in the extreme minority but I was a bit underwhelmed by Young today, at least by his lofty expectations and standards. I thought there were a fair few kicks of his that didn't find their targets. Also the one knock on him throughout the draft process was questions about his foot speed, and i'd say it's a bit borderline. He didn't get caught holding the ball but there were a few close calls and desperation handballs as he was getting hauled down. Not trying to sound too negative as I'm a big fan of his, I just wish we'd seen a bit more of his lethal left boot on full display.
Look I agree, he definitely looked rusty and his kicking was nothing special. Pretty happy with what he showed as his first competitive training game since injury though.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas

I don't think his kicking was exemplary today, but he came and received a few where he just kicked to a good position just as he was being closed down. I was more impressed by his defensive work - getting back in the hole to contest overhead and his ability to make a good disposal decision when the opposition forwards are pressing. When I first tuned into the broadcast in the first quarter he did this over the back handball when he was about to be crunched by 2 Weagles.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
It was his first hit out since his 3 games last year. He’ll catch back up to the speed of things after a few games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The players out who will make us stronger are;
  • Taberner. He can make a significant difference for us.
  • Sturt. Our small forwards did well but a fast medium/tall will be a genuine asset.
  • Darcy. What a great game from Meek, and I liked his around the ground work, but Darcy has significantly more development to draw from.
  • Tucker. He is becoming a little bit underestimated now that others are emerging, but his running and kicking are very useful.
  • Logue. I am a Hughes fan despite his limitations, and Watson had a good game, but Griffin is an Avenger.
  • Wilson. Our round from defense can be upgraded and he can do that.
I can’t include Hill at this stage.

I was talking to a mate envious of our emerging young midfield who commented about them being the spoils of finishing low on the ladder. I mentioned that Weller, Neale and BHilly have been part of the price of the rebuild, and are all still in their prime.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
We all know not to read too much into a scratch match but still so much to like about that for a first hit out. Team looked organised and plenty of positive passages by the young brigade... and Mundy :)

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
I like the idea of all 4 of cox, pearce, hamling and logue in the side. Hamling and logue do play well against small forwards. (logue at 193 and hamling at 195, so their not big). Plus i think that gives hamling and logue a license to float off and intercept mark. People forget hamling is a very good intercept marker.

I do worry about flexibility with this plan. If it goes pear shaped. How do you reorganize those four. Also what do you do about chapman does he become a running half back flanker similar to andrew mackie (who was drafted as a tall forward).

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
But Ryan Murphy. And that Adam Kiwi guy. And Tanner Smith, Luke Strandica - and Hugh Bloody Dixon!
(Then of course there’s Croad, Tarrant, McCarthy and Hogan!)

Come on Rob - with that track record you are mad not to get on the Treacy Train now lest you be called a Bandwagonner when he wins the 2023 Coleman!!
Hilarious that amongst all those, Tabs not in that list managed to get into a AA 40 man squad.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I like the idea of all 4 of cox, pearce, hamling and logue in the side. Hamling and logue do play well against small forwards. (logue at 193 and hamling at 195, so their not big). Plus i think that gives hamling and logue a license to float off and intercept mark. People forget hamling is a very good intercept marker.

I do worry about flexibility with this plan. If it goes pear shaped. How do you reorganize those four. Also what do you do about chapman does he become a running half back flanker similar to andrew mackie (who was drafted as a tall forward).
Logue and Cox can swing up forward. Even put Logue around defensive wing. Good plan to work with, those two. Chapman will have to develop a bit in the WAFL

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kudos to those doubling down on the Treacy bashing.

1614407696891.png

No doubt Gav, but Sturt and Darcy are very injury prone
Darcy is defintely but Sturt has had two completely unrelated issues.

The ankle is a bit **** but it's not like he is doing ACLs or soft tissue constantly.

Attachments

• 1614407685644.png
    1614407685644.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 78
Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was really impressed with his ability to win the footy. His skills are ingrained so hopefully today can be chalked up as a bit of rust coming back after a long lay off.

I agree, his kicking was more miss than hit today. I think with him though, you just know it’s not something to worry about so it’s more about the defensive signs of improvement of which he’s showing. Reckon he nails his kicks next game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back