Training 2021 Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it was a crap tweet. Of course it was unfair, and the AFL were never going to agree.
But the AFL weren't going to agree because of the impact on Melbourne members & their relationship with the MCC. Not because of us. In a conversation about the MCG, the MCC and the Dees, we would have been totally and utterly irrelevant.
We were simply the innocent bystander in an inner-city Melbourne pissing match.
Disagree on a few things there, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one mate.

I wasn't certain what I'd be signing up for if I went the sports lounge option, so just went for normal seats. Are the sports lounge seats located in a specific area?

I wasn't certain what I'd be signing up for if I went the sports lounge option, so just went for normal seats. Are the sports lounge seats located in a specific area?
They are the central wing seats on the southern side of the ground, basically the other side from where the coaches sit, so they're great viewing. My only concern is the setting summer sun, not sure how exposed they will be at this time of year.

Against Natanui we will be on the losing end of ruck battles, and you would think the same against Gawn. But we do have a midfield who can still be competitive in that situation. And we also have a stunning defensive unit who can turn that around as well as any if there is pressure on the opposition at the clearances.

Why is that Gawn and Grundy (and D Cox a few years back) get such wraps from pundits - it's because of what they offer around the ground. Sandi and Goldstein will be two of the greatest tap ruckmen ever, but they were at the top of the tree. Unless Darcy can achieve Goldy like levels of tap mastery then there's a lot to be said for having a ruck who can provide a contest, but will lose hitouts against the best, whilst being much more valuable around the ground. On the basis of one showing, then Meek has a potential upside and value that I'm not sure many of us realised.

The issue with Lobb as our back up ruck is the lack of contest he provides. At the very least the oppo ruck has to earn their supremacy - and I think Meek will make them do so.

Clearly outsiders do not rate Darcy - he came 17th out of 18 in a recent Mongrel Punt article that ranked the first choice rucks.

meh if we need around the ground stuff throw lobb into the ruck, the reason i like darcy is because i think hes a decent forward. I won't forget a few year ago when freo played geelong and darcy was our lone tall forward. Out of position and against the all australian full back (1500m runner guy, i forget his name) and a side with very good interceptors. We came up trump and darcy more than held his own. 2 goals to his name i believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

meh if we need around the ground stuff throw lobb into the ruck, the reason i like darcy is because i think hes a decent forward. I won't forget a few year ago when freo played geelong and darcy was our lone tall forward. Out of position and against the all australian full back (1500m runner guy, i forget his name) and a side with very good interceptors. We came up trump and darcy more than held his own. 2 goals to his name i believe.
Darcy marks on the goal line (I think Crowden was having a shot and missed) strolled around and popped it through from one foot out with 10 seconds to go in the 2nd.
Darcy holds his ground, doesn't attempt the mark one on one but spoils out to space in front of Walters who collects on the run and snaps it through on his left with twelve and a half minutes to go in the third.
Two minutes into the 4th he holds his ground one on one against Henderson, again doesn't attempt the mark but palms it into space in front of Mundy who snaps on his left for a goal.
A few minutes later Darcy is double teamed under the high ball and he gets the palm to bring it down, a bit scrappy and Matera snaps it on his left for a goal.

There is a clear pattern here.

Left foot kicks. We need Darcy tapping to Walters, Banfield etc and Meek tapping to our right footers.

I agree with the first two on your list.

In terms of McGovern - By the time free agency opens at the end of this year, he will only have 2 seasons left on his big contract. Kennedy/Hurn/Redden are out of contract and up in the air at the end of this year. Gaff/Darling out of contract in 2024, and Kelly in 2025.

There are plenty of opportunities to offer a substantial deal to bring a player in.
Nope. Kennedy and Hurn would not be on anywhere near the amount of money they were on in their prime and no where near the combined amount Cripps would require. as the aging vets always take big pay cuts towards the end of their careers. You have Mcgovern, Natinui, Kelly, Gaff , Darling, Yeo on big money. The comment of you being delusional is still accurate.

On my sick bed yesterday...re-activated my Kayo membership for this season

They had the Freo Essendon game at Marvil from last year

Had forgotten just how goood Sam Sturt is....will mean so much to us going forward

On my sick bed yesterday...re-activated my Kayo membership for this season

They had the Freo Essendon game at Marvil from last year

Had forgotten just how goood Sam Sturt is....will mean so much to us going forward
Any word on him getting anywhere near being available for selection at all? Or will it be the dreaded TBA? 😥

I have two tickets to the BankWest club for both of tomorrow’s games if anyone would like to go. Unfortunately I’ll be unable to make it.

PM and first in best dressed.

Earlier today there was a practice game between Peel (inc some Freo players) and WC but other than Giro playing and doing well I haven't found much else.

WC fanbois excited because Brander kicked 2 goals. Give it a couple of years and I can see him kicking one at AFL level.

Will Schofield playing forward/ruck for Peel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back