Training 2021 Pre-season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

On Wednesday training started around 9am and finished around 11am. They were in one big group again.

Although there was a group of 8 doing lighter training separate from the rest. Mainly skill drills, straight line running and some high knee exercises. I think it was Naismith, Brand, Franklin, Malachy, Heeney, Cunningham, Papley and Mcinerney.

Warmup
They ran around a square with 4 fitness stations set up. Sprints, sideways movement, high knees and weaving between poles.

Kicking in Pairs
Players split up into pairs or threes. And just kicked the ball back and forth. Initially flat passes and then longer higher passes to advantage.

3 Skill stations
Rotated through 3 skill stations
- Kicking with a man on the mark and trying to land the ball in an area designated with cones.
- Handball drill. 4 attackers handpass through 2 defenders
- Picking up a rolling ground ball and having a quick shot from 35m out from goal

Handpass drill diagonal
- 3 lines of players on each side opposite each other. Players run and handpass towards a player diagonally opposite them.

Kicking Drill diagonal
- 3 lines of players on each side opposite each other. Players run and kick towards a player diagonally opposite them.

Drill where they work the ball upfield
- Ball starts from a kick in from the goal square. He kicks it to the back pocket who kicks to one of two leading players. And they gradually work the ball upfield. It involved multiple leading options and players encouraged to keep running forward and stay involved.

Passing drill using a lot of width
5 attackers try to pass the ball through 6 defenders. They used a really wide area which encouraged the attackers to switch the ball sideways to space. (the 6 defenders were spaced out in 3 lanes of 2 players.)

Split up into two groups
- First group had Hickey and Sinclair practicing tapping it down to a 1 vs 1 from a ball up or boundary throw in. I think Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Rowbottom, Florent, Clarke, Mills, Warner, Stephens, Blakey and Campbell were in this group.
- The other group did 1 vs 1 contested marking from a high ball into the goal square. Later they kicked to a 1 vs 1 contest in the goal square and then had 2 attackers and 2 defenders running in to crumb the loose ball.

Split up into Backs, Mid, Forwards with their line coaches
- Mids were with Cox. They continued to do tap stoppages. But incorporated a chain of handballs and a kick to exit the stoppage. Later they did drills picking up rolling groundballs.
- Backs with Matthews practiced kicking the ball when a man was on the mark trying to land the ball in an area. Then later did contested marking 1 vs 1.
- Forwards with Mcveigh did a drill where 2 attackers were trying to mark the ball against 1 defender in a small zone near the goal square. (The group of forwards seems to be the largest group of players.)

Last edited:
On Wednesday training started around 9am and finished around 11am. They were in one big group again.

Although there was a group of 8 doing lighter training separate from the rest. Mainly skill drills, straight line running and some high knee exercises. I think it was Naismith, Brand, Franklin, Malachy, Heeney, Cunningham, Papley and Mcinerney.

Warmup
They ran around a square with 4 fitness stations set up. Sprints, sideways movement, high knees and weaving between poles.

Kicking in Pairs
Players split up into pairs or threes. And just kicked the ball back and forth. Initially flat passes and then longer higher passes to advantage.

3 Skill stations
Rotated through 3 skill stations
- Kicking with a man on the mark and trying to land the ball in an area designated with cones.
- Handball drill. 4 attackers handpass through 2 defenders
- Picking up a rolling ground ball and having a quick shot from 35m out from goal

Handpass drill diagonal
- 3 lines of players on each side opposite each other. Players run and handpass towards a player diagonally opposite them.

Kicking Drill diagonal
- 3 lines of players on each side opposite each other. Players run and kick towards a player diagonally opposite them.

Drill where they work the ball upfield
- Ball starts from a kick in from the goal square. He kicks it to the back pocket who kicks to one of two leading players. And they gradually work the ball upfield. It involved multiple leading options and players encouraged to keep running forward and stay involved.

Passing drill using a lot of width
5 attackers try to pass the ball through 6 defenders. They used a really wide area which encouraged the attackers to switch the ball sideways to space. (the 6 defenders were spaced out in 3 lanes of 2 players.)

Split up into two groups
- First group had Hickey and Sinclair practicing tapping it down to a 1 vs 1 from a ball up or boundary throw in. I think Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Rowbottom, Florent, Clarke, Mills, Warner, Stephens, Blakey and Campbell were in this group.
- The other group did 1 vs 1 contested marking from a high ball into the goal square. Later they kicked to a 1 vs 1 contest in the goal square and then had 2 attackers and 2 defenders running in to crumb the loose ball.

Split up into Backs, Mid, Forwards with their line coaches
- Mids were with Cox. They continued to do tap stoppages. But incorporated a chain of handballs and a kick to exit the stoppage. Later they did drills picking up rolling groundballs.
- Backs with Matthews practiced kicking the ball when a man was on the mark trying to land the ball in an area. Then later did contested marking 1 vs 1.
- Forwards with Mcveigh did a drill where 2 attackers were trying to mark the ball against 1 defender in a small zone near the goal square. (The group of forwards seems to be the largest group of players.)
Guess that shows which coach is doing which line. Matthews has already told us he is doing backline and defenders generally, so it looks as if Cox has mids and Macca forwards. Macca has a really good eye for space so hopefully this will carry over to better use of space for our forwards.
Did you see Horse or Pyke? Love to know what they're up to!

Guess that shows which coach is doing which line. Matthews has already told us he is doing backline and defenders generally, so it looks as if Cox has mids and Macca forwards. Macca has a really good eye for space so hopefully this will carry over to better use of space for our forwards.

Longmire is always there. He usually walks between whatever is going on. Sometimes he will give feedback to the group about a drill or just have a long conversation 1 on 1 with a player.

Sometimes he will give quick feedback with a drill. On Monday in that 12 vs 9 sim drill. The ball carrier drew a defender and gave a handpass to Hayward who cut inside. But Longmire told Hayward "to take the space". Which I think meant that there was a lot of space on the outside so run there instead.

I am not that familiar with Pyke so not sure especially when a few coaches wear caps. But he is probably helping out.

Anyone see how Hickey is going? Is he injury free and in the a main group?

Expecting him to be a solid contributor this season - though I'd guess we want to play our new high draft pick as much as possible so might just be a battle between he and SInkers to go solo in the middle with Reid providing a bit of relief. Had we gone a mid I would have expected both Sinkers (fwd) and Hickey to play quite a few games together this year.

I cannot imagine a coach saying do not kick with your other foot. I just can't. Sorry.
If a player is not strong on the opposite foot coaches discourage them from using that foot. Some players are never going to get a strong competency on both feet. I heard Roos and others talking about this on FOX one night. It was all about time and ability to process the ball in the time needed to a degree necessary to hit a teammate or score. There are several players who have played for the Swans that would practice with their opposite foot at training but you would never see them use it in a game. The pressure in drills is not that of a game. Game simulation can get a little close and they would never use the opposite foot then. But kicking drills are there to help you improve your general kicking. Dan Hannaberry, like all players, practiced with his opposite foot as a way of getting out of trouble if necessary but he was so totally left sided I don't think I ever saw him kick right foot in a game.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder how much is nature and how much nurture ?

One of my teenage sons is naturally ambidextrous. He kicks equally well with either foot. He writes right-handed but uses either hand for many things.

My dad was a lefty but his teachers forced him to write right-handed. Now he writes equally well with either. With enough practice I think any player could become (almost) as good on either foot.
My brother was naturally ambidextrous. He would start writing with his left hand, get to the middle of the page and change to his right. He kicked both feet, bowled left or right batted both as well in cricket. But this is pretty rare. Funny enough he is also a Mensa member.

Most people have to learn to use their opposite side. I am totally left sided but learned how to use my right foot as a means of getting out of trouble. Not much good under high pressure. But in a bind the kick can get away, where it goes is debatable.

Pyke is, Opposition Tactics Coach. He studies the opposition and designs ways to combat, then defeat their tactics.

Most players in FL do not kick on their wrong foot. Not necessarily because they can't but because the pace is fr too fast that if they are not totally ambidextrous they can fluff it up. Coaches actually frown on players kicking on their wrong foot especially if they can use their natural foot. Even if the kick is across the body which has become popular these days. I have seen them all kick on the wrong foot but not regularly because as I said coaches these days in AFL do not encourage kicking on the wrong foot.

Ridiculous.

Very interesting that we're seeing so much of Mills in the middle. Have a feeling he's going to get 2 games there and be moved back again...

Very interesting that we're seeing so much of Mills in the middle. Have a feeling he's going to get 2 games there and be moved back again...

I'm staying hopeful on this one. We have depth and options in defence so expecting him to stay with the mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heres a thought a bit left of centre..
Im thinking the Swans are planning ...
- that Both Kennedy and Hewett won't be on our list in 2022. This leaves the only senior midfielder left to be Parker.
- that the Swans consider that a young midfield of Florent, Rowbum and younger needs more leadership and mature bodies at the coal face.
- Mills is a leader, and a bloody good player, and will offer support to Parker as a 'senior' player (100 + games beginning 2022 season)
- There is an option to trade via free agency or use draft picks to get this senior player into the mids, but I reckon the Swans would rather that leadership come from within the club.

So, Mills to the midfield in 2021 (most games), Mills to help Parker lead the mids (Florent, Rowbum, Stephens, Warner, McInerney, Blakey, Gulden, Campbell, Bell, Clarke etc) 2022 and beyond

Why the assumption that Hewett will leave?
Heres a thought a bit left of centre..
Im thinking the Swans are planning ...
- that Both Kennedy and Hewett won't be on our list in 2022. This leaves the only senior midfielder left to be Parker.
- that the Swans consider that a young midfield of Florent, Rowbum and younger needs more leadership and mature bodies at the coal face.
- Mills is a leader, and a bloody good player, and will offer support to Parker as a 'senior' player (100 + games beginning 2022 season)
- There is an option to trade via free agency or use draft picks to get this senior player into the mids, but I reckon the Swans would rather that leadership come from within the club.

So, Mills to the midfield in 2021 (most games), Mills to help Parker lead the mids (Florent, Rowbum, Stephens, Warner, McInerney, Blakey, Gulden, Campbell, Bell, Clarke etc) 2022 and beyond

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why the assumption that Hewett will leave?

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hewett is out of contract and can explore free agency this year I believe

Personally I hope he stays, but there is a lot of logic for a Mills move to the midfield.

I think he’s speculating more than assuming. There were reports Hewett was either shopped or looking during the last trade period.
Be Kennedy’s last year
yep, speculation based on the last last trade period. Also Hewett is a free agent this year. Also, Clarke is stepping up to be a well performing tagger and a cheaper option. Also, I think a midfielder of that age needs to be one that leads the young group and Hewett is not a natural leader.
Im a fan of Hewett, so none of this is a criticism.
And Yep, I think this is JPKs last year. He's my favourite player, so you'll never hear me critisize JPK, I just think he'll retire this year.

Friday morning it started around 9am and finished around 1130am. One big group again apart from Naismith, Brand, Franklin, Cunningham, Heeney, Mcinerney and Papley who did light skils, high knee exercises, straight line running and kicking the ball back and forth. Heeney and Franklin also did some exercises with a coach behind the goals where they were running back and forwards and moving side to side.

Warmup
- One group did a more intensive warmup involving shuttle runs and then sprints from one end of the oval to the other.
- The other group did a lighter warmup with agility exercises and a bit of straight line running

Skills
- Handballing and kicking the ball back and forth 10m apart from each other
- In pairs/threes kicking the ball between each other from a bigger distance

4 Drills rotating between them
- Tackling exercises (both players on their feet)
- 4 attackers trying to handpass through 2 defenders
- Kicking against a man on the mark and trying to land the ball in a zone
- Kicking for goal against a man on the mark

Drill moving the ball upfield
- Usually starts from a goal kick or a 4 vs 3 contest near the boundary. The attacking players break out and gradually work the ball upfield and kick a goal.

2 Drills
- 5 attackers try to keep possession against 4 defenders by moving around and kicking to each other
- Drill where they move the ball upfield, they simulate a turnover at halfway, then rebound and immediately attack the other way. The 1.06min video on the Swans twitter shows them doing this drill.

Drill moving the ball upfield from the goal square
- Player kicks out from the goal square to one of two leading targets. Then they gradually move the ball upfield and kick a goal. With a focus on players leading into space and continuing to run forward

13 vs 10 match sim
- 4 vs 3 in the back line, 5 vs 4 in the mids, 4 vs 3 in the forward line. Players were playing in their normal positions.
A match sim where the attacking side would try to move the ball forward to score a goal. Then reset and started again. No tackling but was the drill closest to a realistic match situation. They probably went for about 25-30minutes and players swapped between the attacking/defending team.

Split up into informal groups
- They split up into smaller groups doing various things. One group was doing 1 vs 1 contested marking in the goal square. Another was practicing goal kicking. Other players were just kicking the ball back and forth to each other or practicing picking up ground balls.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back