Training 2021 Pre-season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope McDonald has a higher ceiling than Gunston as Gunston isn't a true KPF. He is more of a medium forward and he isn't really capable of dominating games.
Fair comment but I couldn't think of another similar KPF who leads in many directions, not just pretty straight like Brown or Kennedy.

I like McLean. I think if he can get his endurance up he can be a 200 gamer for us. He is capable of averaging in the high teens in disposals, which for a guy who is 197cm is pretty damned good.

More concerned for his agility than his endurance at this stage but at least it seems to becoming a strength.

Hayden McLean has been working hard in the summer break

View attachment 1041050

Source: wiki 2019:
Hayden_McLean_2019.2.jpg

How is that even possible? I love his dedication, and hope to see it translate into on field success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not as blown away by McLean's size as others. He's a big fella. The potential to be in imposing shape was always there, he just had to tap into it. His next challenge will be using this strength to win contests.

How exciting would it be though to have another key forward (née second ruck) pressing for senior selection early in the season. The benefits would come in fours:

- Give Buddy that extra time he may need to get his body right, without having his absence effect our forward structure.

- Apply the pressure to Reid, after what even his staunchest advocates would have to concede was a poor season last year.

- Ease up the pressure on McDonald, whether that be meaning he can get warmed up in the VFL comp before or debuting, or have another bigger, older body in front of him if he was to debut. In which case...

- Could get started on the Double Mac forming a handy partnership if they could start working together. Both young (22 and 19 they will be this season), but could be the answer to our forward woes over the next decade if they can play some good footy.

In short, I am cynical re where his body strength is really at, despite the impressive, perfectly-timed-and-flexed training photo, and I want ALL Swans to do well. But there are more reasons than usual to root for McLean's individual development this year.

Even though guston is an absolute gun and a 3rd tall at 196cm I still think McDonald will be bigger and a genuine lynch type

go back and have a look at revolts , lynch , Daniher ,etc etc they were not big bodies

expectations a little to high in the first year even though I think he will make an impact

McLean just needs to put on some bulk. He's short for a ruck but if he's strong enough he'll be fine
He was never a true ruck as a youngster, always played and preffered a key forward position, we debuted him as a ruck because we were running out of options, hoping he develops as one of our main men in attack over the next decade!

Casual impressions

Without making any firm judgments the newer players seem to be what I expected.
- McDonald. The 12 vs 9 sim was the first chance I got to see him play as a forward in a structured situation. He was making running leads into space and seems to have firm hands to mark the ball on the run.
- Sheather. Seems well built for a 1st year player. Looks to be playing as a medium forward.
- Malachy. Played as a defender in the 12 vs 9 sim and made some accurate passes. During the runs initially looks a bit awkward but he usually finishes near the front. Tries hard during the runs and tires himself out. In the 1st 1km he was near the front but in the middle of the pack in the next run.
- Campbell. Seems to move well and has a flat pass. Looks to be training with the mids.
- Gulden. Hard running, likes to remain involved and likes making short chipped passes. Looks to be training with the forwards.

- Positionally in the 12 vs 9 sim. Mills seemed to be playing in the mids and McCartin seemed to be playing with the defenders.
- Last year I remember people were criticising Mclean for his agility. But he looked really strong in the running and was very fresh in the 3rd 1km. In the 12 vs 9 sim he was playing as key forward. Also looked good in the contested marking in being able to take a mark above his head.

Cheers, I think Mclean could become a kpf for sure.

Reading the injury report just posted, my takeout for Rd1 is:
Franklin hammy no chance
Heeney ankle no chance
Hewett back doing very well but questionable
Papley knee (clean out) probable
Blakey shoulder probable
Everyone progressing well.
No mention of anyone else.
Would think Franklin never playing again would be around 25% and rising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking that if McCartin plays in defence and Franklin is not yet fully fit. Then we might need either McLean or McDonald to partner Reid in our best 22 if we play two tall forwards.

They are different type of forwards. So the club might see how they go in the preseason games.
All three will start with no Buddy in fwd 50.

What is the go with Franklin? I get that he’s training now and doing moderate intensity runs but no way he his hamstring could be that bad that it’s taken the best part of 2 years to recover from. If he can’t get up for rd 1 , imo that tells me his body is shot.

The injury is either a lot worse than what is being let on or Father Time has caught up to him and it just cannot recover.
Either way it doesn’t look good
Totally agree, I'm now surprised if he plays again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back