Training 2021 Pre-season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct, there was an article posted in the media thread by Tedeski that stated he has resumed training.

Yeah just read that, if he is back running as they say then the one week backwards diagnosis was correct. Seems round 1 is very unlikely but barring any more hiccups should see him in action again which is exciting.

I understand the doubt fans have but he is by all accounts very determined and professional about his training and what he needs to do to return

I get the media focus on Buddy.
Longmire press conference today, questions about how Franklin is going, when will he back, will he kick 1000, does his presence lift the other players. Only topic missed was bin night.
Then toss in a couple of questions on Heeney & JPK.

Media isn't obviously going to give us any insight into our other injured players so it would be nice if the club would.

As far as I'm aware our new Head of Physiotherapy and Medical Services, Damian Raper gave an update* over 3 weeks ago and since then zilch.
Very few fans can actually make it to training so Raper spending 5 minutes every week giving the supporters an update on injured players doesn't seem like too much to ask.:unamused:

EDIT; I know it's an ongoing issue, but I hoped with the new appointment we might see some improvement.

Last edited:
Longmire press conference today, questions about how Franklin is going, when will he back, will he kick 1000, does his presence lift the other players. Only topic missed was bin night.

Media isn't obviously going to give us any insight into our other injured players so it would be nice if the club would.

As far as I'm aware our new Head of Physiotherapy and Medical Services, Damian Raper gave an update* over 3 weeks ago and since then zilch.
Very few fans can actually make it to training so Raper spending 5 minutes every week giving the supporters an update on injured players doesn't seem like too much to ask.:unamused:

I agree. I am a broken record on this. The Swans website is sh*te on content that fans want access to.

EDIT; I know it's an ongoing issue, but I hoped with the new appointment we might see some improvement.

Not that I don't agree about our own content, but I am not as willing to give the media a pass on their s**t-house coverage of this club. Let's be real - they don't give a shite about anyone at this club besides Lance Franklin. Even Heeney - who has about 1000x more relevance to this club right now than Buddy - they couldn't give a toss about. They ask the mandatory question about his progress and then that's it. Not good enough. Considering they are the ones who talk up our youth and this rebuild probably more than the fans ourselves, they sure as hell don't seem interested in finding out much about it.

No interest in Mills moving into the midfield, no interest in McCartin playing in defence, no interest in the potential for McDonald or McLean to put their hands up as young key forward prospects. No interest in Ling completing his first ever full pre-season (*touch wood*) without any setbacks. No interest in where Dawson will play, where Stephens will play, where Hewett will play. No interest in how Fox has responded to his delisting. No interest in the progress (or lack thereof) of recruits like Clarke, Brand, Gray and Taylor. No interest in which kids - Wicks? Warner? Amartey? - could break through this year. No interest in how we're going to use JPK this year. No interest in how Rampe - arguably the best defender in the comp - is shaping up.

Now I realise this all seems like tedious, irrelevant info for a journalist looking for a headline. But if the broader AFL media did their job properly, we wouldn't see dumb s**t like "wow! where did [insert any youngster going to the next level] come from?!" Well, you would've known where they came from if you paid as much attention to the guys training and playing every week as you do the bloke who hasn't played a game in 18 ******* months.

Sorry for the rant. Pissed off.

Not that I don't agree about our own content, but I am not as willing to give the media a pass on their sh*t-house coverage of this club. Let's be real - they don't give a sh*te about anyone at this club besides Lance Franklin. Even Heeney - who has about 1000x more relevance to this club right now than Buddy - they couldn't give a toss about. They ask the mandatory question about his progress and then that's it. Not good enough. Considering they are the ones who talk up our youth and this rebuild probably more than the fans ourselves, they sure as hell don't seem interested in finding out much about it.

No interest in Mills moving into the midfield, no interest in McCartin playing in defence, no interest in the potential for McDonald or McLean to put their hands up as young key forward prospects. No interest in Ling completing his first ever full pre-season (*touch wood*) without any setbacks. No interest in where Dawson will play, where Stephens will play, where Hewett will play. No interest in how Fox has responded to his delisting. No interest in the progress (or lack thereof) of recruits like Clarke, Brand, Gray and Taylor. No interest in which kids - Wicks? Warner? Amartey? - could break through this year. No interest in how we're going to use JPK this year. No interest in how Rampe - arguably the best defender in the comp - is shaping up.

Now I realise this all seems like tedious, irrelevant info for a journalist looking for a headline. But if the broader AFL media did their job properly, we wouldn't see dumb sh*t like "wow! where did [insert any youngster going to the next level] come from?!" Well, you would've known where they came from if you paid as much attention to the guys training and playing every week as you do the bloke who hasn't played a game in 18 ******* months.

Absolutely 💯

Mills and Campbell are very different players with very different strengths. The HBF to outside mid transition is one of the most natural in footy. It requires a lot of the same qualities - the ability to provide plenty of run, working into space, creating space with your disposal. A lot of the skills overlap. It's made even easier when (for the hundredth time!!!!) you consider that Campbell has actually played footy as a HBF in his juniors. It's not like Horse is just pulling this idea out of his arse. The evidence that he could play half back is already there.

On another note, I'm confused by this idea that having your play-makers in the back half is some crazy, radical idea that's exclusive to Horse. That's literally been the MO of every premiership side over the last decade, including Richmond (who set up guys like Houli, Baker & Short behind the ball), West Coast (Jetta, Hurn & Yeo), Hawthorn (Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne & Birchall), and even us (Malceski, Shaw & McVeigh.)

Longmire's interview today made it sound like he was pulling the idea out of his arse about 3-5 mins in when asked about Campbell.

Not that I don't agree about our own content, but I am not as willing to give the media a pass on their sh*t-house coverage of this club. Let's be real - they don't give a sh*te about anyone at this club besides Lance Franklin.
Absolutely.
Whilst the AFL coverage in Sydney has never been great, cutbacks have really impacted even that performance.
IIRC the Daily Telegraph laid off their dedicated AFL journo and even the AFL's own website doesn't currently have a Sydney based reporter.

But I think it goes further than that and basically journalistic standards are woeful across the AFL industry.
Consider Slobbo is the chief football writer for the Herald Sun and Damien Barrett fills that position for AFL.com.

The questions you ask would require journos who know their stuff and wish to inform, but sadly in the current climate Buddy's 'comeback' generates more clicks/headlines than info relating to all the players you mentioned.

It's why it needs the Swans media team to step up.
flying pigs.gif

I thought Longmire's 40 minute interview with Riley Beveridge last week was pretty extensive. He talked about a few players.

Yep, but how often are they going to bother with a 40 minute interview with Horse? That's the most we'll get for the rest of this year, all post-match and weekly-press conferences in the H&A season combined.

JPK has back issues which is really surprising given how strong he looks around the core

There was a time when the only media on the Swans for me was Inside Football newspaper (if you could find it in Qld) and a 0055 number which would give swans news and teams. I used to sneak those calls as they cost a bit. Parents probably thought I was listening to the sex ones and didn't want to question it.

Yep, but how often are they going to bother with a 40 minute interview with Horse? That's the most we'll get for the rest of this year, all post-match and weekly-press conferences in the H&A season combined.
thats about all you'll get from any head coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thats about all you'll get from any head coach

That's true, and for the record I'm not blaming Horse. I don't expect any coach to give much away, especially a no-fuss bloke like Horse. But that's all the more reason to ask different questions about different subjects. How many of the exact. same. generic non-answers about Buddy does Horse have to give before they try a different angle or subject matter? Oh wait... they can't, because they couldn't pick any other Swans players out of a line-up!

Sydney media think Swans fans are all Eastern Suburbs Mahvellous Dahling types who have NFI about footy.
That's because Sydney media are constituted by North Shore Mahvellous Dahling types who have NFI about footy.

Melbourne media don't give a toss about interstate teams, and Robbo wants a three way with Danger and Dusty.

Sydney media think Swans fans are all Eastern Suburbs Mahvellous Dahling types who have NFI about footy.
That's because Sydney media are constituted by North Shore Mahvellous Dahling types who have NFI about footy.

Melbourne media don't give a toss about interstate teams, and Robbo wants a three way with Danger and Dusty.
Part of the issue is the so called Sydney newspapers are compromised.
Murdoch owns the Daily Telegraph - which is heavily invested in keeping Rugby League at the forefront across all NSW media platforms. Therefore they will not provide or increase their coverage of AFL as they're legit going against their own financial interests.
Sydney Morning Herald is owned by Nine: Rugby League's State of Origin is one of their biggest money earners. Again, they have zero incentive to promote the game via their media.

There was a time when the only media on the Swans for me was Inside Football newspaper (if you could find it in Qld) and a 0055 number which would give swans news and teams. I used to sneak those calls as they cost a bit. Parents probably thought I was listening to the sex ones and didn't want to question it.
Odd question, what do you mean 0055 number? Was it a phone line you could call up and it'd just give you the news? Was it like a sex chat line but only for news & sport?

Odd question, what do you mean 0055 number? Was it a phone line you could call up and it'd just give you the news? Was it like a sex chat line but only for news & sport?

Exactly

it would update each week with teams
It was a swans specific one they had a different number for each team. It’s how I found out Moose Henwood had been delisted

Heeney looking good on swans socials.....

Yeah it’s weird he’s not talked about much. He should be the golden child but the media are obsessed with Buddy like he’s the only Swan that exists.

A fit Heeney is even more important to us than Buddy imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I don't agree about our own content, but I am not as willing to give the media a pass on their sh*t-house coverage of this club. Let's be real - they don't give a sh*te about anyone at this club besides Lance Franklin. Even Heeney - who has about 1000x more relevance to this club right now than Buddy - they couldn't give a toss about. They ask the mandatory question about his progress and then that's it. Not good enough. Considering they are the ones who talk up our youth and this rebuild probably more than the fans ourselves, they sure as hell don't seem interested in finding out much about it.

Now I realise this all seems like tedious, irrelevant info for a journalist looking for a headline. But if the broader AFL media did their job properly, we wouldn't see dumb sh*t like "wow! where did [insert any youngster going to the next level] come from?!" Well, you would've known where they came from if you paid as much attention to the guys training and playing every week as you do the bloke who hasn't played a game in 18 ******* months.

Could not agree more!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back