Training 2021 Pre-season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Yer averaging 16

In 2020 was of course with shortened quarters. His 2020 was disappointing but a normal game time still would have likely increased that average to 19 or 20.

He averaged 19 in 2019.

Has work to do no doubt but I’m still confident he gets there.

In 2020 was of course with shortened quarters. His 2020 was disappointing but a normal game time still would have likely increased that average to 19 or 20.

He averaged 19 in 2019.

Has work to do no doubt but I’m still confident he gets there.
What was 2020?

Was particularly evident his first year unsurprisingly - I thought that was improving with his strength but perhaps his technique needs work.

Heeney would rather land 1 "tv tackle", than 2 effective ones. :p
I don't agree with your last comment. All Heeney's tackles are TV tackles and there are plenty. It's the Rugby League background Mickey

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was there an intra-club game today? If so do we know anything about it?
According to the Western Australian Logan Mcdonald kicked 4 goals in our Infra, club. I could not access the whole article as I do not have a firewall breaker and will never pay Murky Murdoch. I should review that apparently Watch AFL is FOX so maybe I do pay Murdoch gggggrrrr

According to the Western Australian Logan Mcdonald kicked 4 goals in our Infra, club. I could not access the whole article as I do not have a firewall breaker and will never pay Murky Murdoch. I should review that apparently Watch AFL is FOX so maybe I do pay Murdoch gggggrrrr

If true that would be amazing since it was supposed to be a best 18 team vs the rest, which means McDonald would have been part of "the rest" which also means he was up against our best defence.

I caught a couple of quarters....

Hayward couldn't miss.
McDonald had some impressive moments, always on the move and one great kick inside 50.
Didn't see much of Campbell but one play he picked up a ball down low at serious pace, weaved around players and followed it up with an accurate bullet pass.
They were playing with regular season intensity, particularly Papley.

I caught a couple of quarters....

Hayward couldn't miss.
McDonald had some impressive moments, always on the move and one great kick inside 50.
Didn't see much of Campbell but one play he picked up a ball down low at serious pace, weaved around players and followed it up with an accurate bullet pass.
They were playing with regular season intensity, particularly Papley.

I could easily imagine a situation where Papley is playing some football against his younger cousins at Christmas which ends up in him giving a massive shirt front to a 7-year-old. As soon as he gets the ball in his hands Papley plays at maximum intensity no matter the circumstances.

I think Mcdonald kicked one goal in the match today. He was on the red team.

This article was from 12th Feb, not today’s match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently the article I read was from 12 February. They have mixed up Match Play with Intra Club. So I still have absolutely no idea what happened this morning. Most years when I lived in Sydney so would attend the Intra Club. It was always a good atmosphere. What's more you get a good look at players under match conditions.

Over the years I have made predictions about many of our players after watching these matches. I predicted Lloyd, Ronke, Papley, Melican, Dawson, Rampe, Parker, Hewett, Hayward, Florent would all play seniors after seeing them play in this match over different years. When you are comparing players to their teammates you get a good idea who is going to make a difference.

I could easily imagine a situation where Papley is playing some football against his younger cousins at Christmas which ends up in him giving a massive shirt front to a 7-year-old. As soon as he gets the ball in his hands Papley plays at maximum intensity no matter the circumstances.

Well if it's good enough for Boris Johnson ;

Looks about as effective playing rugby as he does keeping his citizens safe from covid
When I first heard of Boris he was just a funny buffon, mayor of London but ultimately harmless.

Now he leads the UK...

Started a bit after 930am. 4 quarters with drink breaks in the middle of each quarter.

Red team
McCartin Melican Rampe Fox Lloyd Cunningham
Hickey Kennedy Mills Parker Blakey Florent
Bell Heeney Hayward McDonald Reid Papley

Green team
BoC Gould Dawson Malachy Campbell Ling
Sinclair Warner Hewett Rowbottom Clarke Stephens
Gray Sheather Gulden Ronke McLean Amartey
Hebron Silvagni CoR

In the 4th quarter red team rested some players and several listed players from the green team joined the red team. And a lot of reserve team players joined the green team.

A few players came off during the game with minor niggles.

Last edited:
When I first heard of Boris he was just a funny buffon, mayor of London but ultimately harmless.

Now he leads the UK...

Never underestimate the stupidity of people, especially when they are in groups.

People don't like to feel dumb, so they like to vote for someone who reminds them of themselves rather than someone who knows what they are doing.

I tried to write down the goals. But no guarantee that I got them all or got the details correct.

Red Team
1st quarter goals
- Reid set shot from about 10m out. Had taken a mark from a long Heeney kick.
- Mcdonald. Someone centred the ball to the goal square. Reid knocked the ball down and McDonald got to the loose ball and scored from close range.
- Heeney. Highball to a pack in the goal square. Heeney crumbed the loose ball and scored from close range.
- Heeney. Ran with the ball about 20m then had a shot from 40m out on the angle.
- Heeney. Shot from 20m on the angle after Mcdonald had centred the ball to him
- Bell. Florent ran with ball out of the centre clearance and then chipped a pass to Bell. Who kicked a goal from 40m central.

2nd Quarter goals
- Hayward. Papley chipped a pass to him. Hayward kicked a goal 30m out central
- Hayward. Soccered in a loose ball rolling across goal.
- Heeney. Crumbed the ball and scored from close range after someone had a shot from a long way out.
- Papley. Picked up a loose ball and kicked across his body from 20m out.

3rd Quarter goals
- Hayward. Shot from 40m out central after taking a mark.
- Hayward. Picked up a loose ball and snapped from 20m central
- Florent. Bell tapped the ball to him from a long ball. Florent ran on and kicked from 50m on the angle

4th Quarter goals
- Papley. 5m out crumbed the ball from a pack of players
- Stephens. Got free, went for a run and then shot at the open goal from 50m on the angle.

Green team
1st Quarter goals
- Ronke. Ran onto a long ball and volleyed in from close range.
- Amartey. From a mark 40m out after a quick break.
- Sheather. Got free out the back and scored from close range after a Ronke handpass.

2nd Quarter goals
- McLean. Picked up a loose ball 35m out, turned around and snapped a goal.

3rd Quarter
- Amartey. 20m central picked up a loose ball and kicked across his body
- Sheather. 30m in front from a free kick.

4th Quarter
nil green team goals

Was at the game today. As ScottBo said, I was right near that one play from Campbell near swans bench, picked up a low ball at pace that was coming at him, swerved around a couple and a lovely left foot inside 50. Just one glimpse, but looked a natural, especially with a bit of space.

SeanM, only difference I can think of in those teams, pretty sure O'Riordan was on green team back six (seven) as well. Campbell, Carruthers, O'Connor interchanged between themselves a couple of times.

Was impressed with Bell, did some really good things, attacking wise, pressure wise. Heeney looked in good nick.

As a lot of people have been hoping for, Mills spent whole game at centre bounces, inside mid type role. Guess we'll see if that continues into season proper.

Was standing near Gould during one of the breaks, looks really good physically to me. No extra kilos on his large frame.

Of all players on the list, think only Buddy, Naismith, McInerney, Taylor, Wicks, Brand didn't play. Not too bad injury wise compared to other seasons at this stage.

EDIT: Just added that last sentence.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back