Training 2021 Pre-season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I am specifically looking at the main list.
From your selections these are
Amartey
Bell
Brand
Clarke

Fox
Gray
Hewett
Ling

Naismith
COR
Reid
Ronke
Sinkers

I highlighted those you chose to keep.

Rucks
Sinkers is backup to Hickey. Or vs versa. Naismith is a work in progress.
Amartey who knows whether he is a for/Ruc or whatever. But he is still young.

Backs
We need Brand as THE backup tall.
COR is out of contract and up against Ling, Gould, Fox, Campbell etc

Mids
Clarke is the best backup.
Gray is still contracted until 2022.
I think Bell is showing something. Still young

Forwards
Reid. We need talls. He is still best 22
Ronke. Lots of competition. Papley, Wicks, Gulden, etc

My point is you have to pick 3 to be removed prior to the next draft.
Its hard

OK
from your list I narrowed it down to COR and Ronke
The other way to get people off the list is to trade them. Who might have meaningful trade value at the end of this year?

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Why do people keep saying Gould is a KPD?

Gould is an absolute tweener. IMO he has potential and some good traits but needs to work out what type he is first, then probably needs to find a playing weight that suits that position.

For me he's too short for KPD and not agile enough to be a rebounder. 3rd defender maybe but not in front of Rampe... Plenty of potential but we're going to have to be real patient with his development

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Gould is an absolute tweener. IMO he has potential and some good traits but needs to work out what type he is first, then probably needs to find a playing weight that suits that position.

For me he's too short for KPD and not agile enough to be a rebounder. 3rd defender maybe but not in front of Rampe... Plenty of potential but we're going to have to be real patient with his development

Lots of guys like this become very good state league players

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

To me he needs to become a Shannon Hurn type of player. It is really the only role he is suited for.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
To me he needs to become a Shannon Hurn type of player. It is really the only role he is suited for.
That would be fine. Hurn is a gun.
He looks fit as and has dropped the baby fat so he looks good to me as a mid-sized.
Thurlow was the same height (192) and played mid-sized but was less strongly built. Look forward to see how he is used in the scratch match and pre-season game.

No chance he tops Rowell in his first year IMO. Good kick, but can’t see him accumulating like Matt

Agreed. Praise always has to be comparative in the media, otherwise it generates no buzz. If the headline was "Swans draftee set for big first year", then that's just not a conversation starter. Rowell being a gun does not mean that he is the be all that ends all that every draftee must be measured against.

As for Campbell I'm just pleased that what the club saw in him when they drafted him is translating onto the field over the pre-season. That's a small victory already.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Yeah looking at Rowell last season, he just made the game look so easy and was getting the ball a ton. Already a matchwinner for the Suns. If Campbell can produce 75% of what Rowell did in his first few games we would all be happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Agreed. Praise always has to be comparative in the media, otherwise it generates no buzz. If the headline was "Swans draftee set for big first year", then that's just not a conversation starter. Rowell being a gun does not mean that he is the be all that ends all that every draftee must be measured against.

As for Campbell I'm just pleased that what the club saw in him when they drafted him is translating onto the field over the pre-season. That's a small victory already.

Comparisons to Rowell are pointless. That kid is off the charts and in his own category.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't get the urgency around Gould, nor the shock that he hasn't come close to debuting yet. History shows that Horse - who, given his outstanding track record at developing defenders, is the ultimate voice of authority here - does not expose young defenders to the elite level until they are absolutely ready.

I think AJ was the last defender to play senior footy within a year of being drafted, taken in 2010 and debuting by round 3 the following year. Since then, it's been:

- Harry Marsh (drafted in 2012, didn't debut until 2016)
- Matthew Dick (drafted in 2012, didn't play a game)
- Dane Rampe (who wasn't even drafted until the age of 23)
- Aliir Aliir (drafted in 2013, didn't debut until 2016)
- Abe Davis (drafted in 2014, didn't play a game)
- Lewis Melican (drafted in 2014, didn't debut until 2017)
- Jack Maibaum (drafted in 2016, didn't play a game)
- Toby Pink (drafted in 2016, didn't play a game)
- Durak Tucker (drafted in 2018, didn't play a game.)

So since AJ, that's five defenders we've drafted who didn't end up playing a game for us, and of the four who did end up debuting, the average age they ended up debuting at was 22. Gould just turned 20. I trust Gould's ability, I trust Horse's experience in this area, and I trust the process. Would love it if he could debut this year. Not concerned if he doesn't.

Jake Lloyd drafted 2013 Rookie Draft. First game April 2014. I admit he came in as a mid cum forward and was later sent back when Mal moved to Suns.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I get that. But I'm not as sold on the idea that SANFL/WAFL/NEAFL prepares you for senior footy any more than say playing in the NAB League in Vic. Sure, the guys you're playing against are older and bigger and stronger. They're also probably not as talented as some of the 17/18 year olds running around in the NAB League, otherwise they wouldn't be in those state leagues to begin with. So it's a catch-22 IMO.

Hope is fair enough. I too have high hopes for Gould. But throwing a key defender in prematurely is very different to throwing in a different kind of player. McInerney debuted before he was ready, but it wasn't a disaster. We were essentially playing one man short, but it was not a humiliating experience for McInerney. Similarly when Blakey was having quiet games as a forward, there wasn't much harm done, as tall forwards often have dry spells when the ball isn't coming their way.

But if you play a key defender before he is ready, and his opponent gets off the chain, that could lead to having a bag kicked against you on debut. The chances of that happening are only increased by the fact that we are a rebuilding side as you say, who concede a lot of inside 50s and are still figuring out the dynamics of our back 6/7. That's not an environment conducive to a good introduction to senior footy IMO.
He is not a KPP. He is a switch hitter. He can play on both talls and smalls. So in a real sense he is your guy who could take your 3rd tall or he could play in a dangerous high marking smaller player like Ryan or C Cameron. He is a intercept marking player so he fits them well. But he has taken the most dangerous Port forward in the SANFL GF, sacrificed his natural game, and in doing so helped his side to a premiership.

Selflessness. That's the word. Here is the phrase. Doing it for the team. Another. Team first. If he isn't successful I will be very surprised. This guy has grit. He has determination. He will give everything he's got and talent wise he's got plenty and as so many SANFL players know strength wise he has even more. There are guys still looking over their shoulder after a tackle or bump from Gould.

I am not in a hurry but I think we will see him at some stage this year. Those that did not play AFL games last year are at a huge disadvantage as the Scratch matches were more like a training drill than real matches. They may take time to get the pace

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back