Training 2021 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Rantall would be getting groomed for a wing role?

Maybe. I've never seen him. Perhaps in the VFL... which you have to remember he has never played a single game of yet.

Phillips left because he wasnt going to be guaranteed time on the wing. SO I'd assume the incumbents Daicos and Sidebottom will start there.

My point being, Sier has potentially just jumped up the pecking order for a centre square role by as many as five spots (although I admit... counting Beams in that list is a stretch). Thats not to say others cant go past him or that he will grab his chances.

Last edited:

Surely Rantall would be getting groomed for a wing role?
Nope. He’s an inside mid. Good endurance does not automatically mean you’re a wingman.

There were some negative reviews about his inside game, so it's possible that he will be converted into a different role.
From who? All I saw was that his bread and butter was dishing it off by hand inside packs. If anything the negative reviews mostly focussed on his kicking, which isn’t great for a winger unless you want him to be Tom Phillips mk II.

From who? All I saw was that his bread and butter was dishing it off by hand inside packs. If anything the negative reviews mostly focussed on his kicking, which isn’t great for a winger unless you want him to be Tom Phillips mk II.
That voy.com site.

Yeah, you want classy users for the wing. The way i see it, the modern high hff role is basically a midfield role without centre square stoppages. I think it's where young mids should be cutting their teeth, unless they are exceptional or very powerful for their age. That's the role that he sounds suited to starting in for us. Looks too small to go straight to the centre square to be a proper inside mid at this satge.

That voy.com site.

Yeah, you want classy users for the wing. The way i see it, the modern high hff role is basically a midfield role without centre square stoppages. I think it's where young mids should be cutting their teeth, unless they are exceptional or very powerful for their age. That's the role that he sounds suited to starting in for us. Looks too small to go straight to the centre square to be a proper inside mid at this satge.
Unless it comes directly from Scout on that site, take anything said about players with a huge grain of salt imo.

I find him pretty so-so tbh.
TBH. I think you've got to take all junior write ups with a grain of salt and wait until you see them in AFL to have a clear idea of what player type they'll be in AFL.

Even those who seem genuine experts had Callum Mills as a pure gun mid. He must have been a very different player in juniors, because at AFL he just looks like a very standard back flanker without much midfield potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH. I think you've got to take all junior write ups with a grain of salt and wait until you see them in AFL to have a clear idea of what player type they'll be in AFL.

Even those who seem genuine experts had Callum Mills as a pure gun mid. He must have been a very different player in juniors, because at AFL he just looks like a very standard back flanker without much midfield potential.
True. Rantall did average nearly 6 clearances a game in his draft year though, so I find it hard to imagine that anyone would regard his inside work as poor. Dunno if Knightmare or Pie 4 Life have any insight.

True. Rantall did average nearly 6 clearances a game in his draft year though, so I find it hard to imagine that anyone would regard his inside work as poor. Dunno if Knightmare or Pie 4 Life have any insight.

Mills I still look at as someone who should be played as a mid. Very good in defence, but hasn't been given that opportunity to develop through there. Similar story with Heeney who has played a lot forward and is good forward, but the opportunity cost has been less midfield time than perhaps ideal to improve that craft.

On Rantall. He is an inside midfielder. Anyone calling him an outside midfielder around last years draft from my perspective haven't seen how he plays and don't understand what he's good at. He's a ball winner and inside distributor, they're the things he does to a high level and they're the components that made him draftable as that foundation to build from. He just happens beyond that to have elite endurance - and he uses it to cover a lot of ground and has that high work rate. Will sometimes take on the man on the mark. They're the bonuses.

Rantall needs to add more dimensions to his game. Maybe some forward craft. Maybe a few more weapons. But that's roughly the foundation with Rantall you're building with.

100% an inside mid. Anyone suggesting otherwise is well... wrong. His best traits lend themselves to the inside. Still had areas to work on such as his kicking but his work in and getting out of a stoppage was his strength.

Anyone else hate the fact that anyone can walk onto our training ground and train?

Further to that, we have no ability to hold a closed training session or train/talk strategy without the risk of anyone being able to watch and listen to our training.

Anyone else hate the fact that anyone can walk onto our training ground and train?

Further to that, we have no ability to hold a closed training session or train/talk strategy without the risk of anyone being able to watch and listen to our training.

Nah I like it, because I can attend.

Its a public ground, unless in use.

Nah I like it, because I can attend.

Its a public ground, unless in use.

i usually love your pre season work Jen, but I can’t get excited about anything footy related at the moment.
Flat after a disastrous trade period.

i usually love your pre season work Jen, but I can’t get excited about anything footy related at the moment.
Flat after a disastrous trade period.
Understandable. But that will change once it kicks in. Soon enough once pre-season starts, things will become exciting again. And add in new kids.

No. These aren’t formal sessions. The public aren’t permitted access during those.

No. These aren’t formal sessions. The public aren’t permitted access during those.
The public are 100% allowed to watch formal sessions. While they’re not allowed on the ground during training, there’s nothing the club can do if someone wants to come down and watch and try to listen in, although it’s incredibly difficult to hear anything going on in the middle from the sidelines.

The public are 100% allowed to watch formal sessions. While they’re not allowed on the ground during training, there’s nothing the club can do if someone wants to come down and watch and try to listen in, although it’s incredibly difficult to hear anything going on in the middle from the sidelines.

Sorry, I should have been clearer when I said access wasn't permitted I meant onto the arena.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back