Remove this Banner Ad

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
walters was in the rehab group.

rehab group consisted or walters, leno thomas, tucker, sturt, giro.

out of the group sturt was the least active, not sure what is going on but spent the majority of his time out there just walking which consisted of either walking in straight lines or walking diagonally from one cone to the other. he then went in to the gym (i assume) very early into the session.

tucker looking good, super mobile and can see him joining the main group soon. please keep in mind i was on the side of the ground where the rehab guys were so couldnt see clearly who was doing match sims, so tucker may have joined in with the main group later on in the session.

walters looking active too, but did make some cheeky comments about his weight to the staff.

later on in the session pearce and hill did some work with who ever was running the rehab group, both look fit. what i found interesting is pearce was doing a drill where he would compete for a contested mark and then have to immediately lead for another mark. dont know if this a hint he may be spending time forward or if this is just a random intensity drill. pearce was training really hard either way and from the pics posted by fremantle was with the main group for the majority of training.

also logue was with the midfield group today, again not sure if this is a hint or he was just there to help with numbers.
Thanks Daiks

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have wanted this since we drafted, although with Valente and O’Driscoll on the list I would happily accept them being fast tracked as big midfielders.

I love the idea too, but I would only use Griff there for short stints as an inside mid, preferably during the second or third quarter as a bit of a shock tactic, idea being he'd tire his opponent out early through superior body strength, or else act as a blocking behemoth at stoppages in the defensive half.

Last time I saw Griff train live, Lachie neale was still in the squad, but I remember thinking at the time that despite all his gifts, Griff lacked a yard of pace required to be a full time mid.

Plus while the guy is an endurance machine, he's built like a brick sh*thouse currently and therefore may be a bit heavy to be running the full length of the field all day, especially given his history of foot problems.

I would fear for Griff's longevity a bit as a full time mid frankly... plus like you say, we've got some decent midfield depth now for once, and Griff's just too good as a negating tall defender to leave in the midfield permanently. But having him there for short stints as an blocker for Caleb, Cerra, Andy et al, that's a different story.

(I was going to close with some shitty pun about the benefits of having a brick shithouse nearby when trying to clear a congested stoppage. Fortunately I resisted.

...I'll show myself out now 💩💩...)

Last edited:

FUS_RO_DAH

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2012
Kalgoorlie
AFL Club
Fremantle
I love the idea too, but I would only use Griff there for short stints as an inside mid, preferably during the second or third quarter as a bit of a shock tactic, idea being he'd tire his opponent out early through superior body strength, or else act as a blocking behemoth at stoppages in the defensive half.

Last time I saw Griff train live, Lachie neale was still in the squad, but I remember thinking at the time that despite all his gifts, Griff lacked a yard of pace required to be a full time mid.

Plus while the guy is an endurance machine, he's built like a brick sh*thouse currently and therefore may be a bit heavy to be running the full length of the field all day, especially given his history of foot problems.

I would fear for Griff's longevity a bit as a full time mid frankly... plus like you say, we've got some decent midfield depth now for once, and Griff's just too good as a negating tall defender to leave in the midfield permanently. But having him there for short stints as an blocker for Caleb, Cerra, Andy et al, that's a different story.

(I was going to close with some shitty pun about the benefits of having a brick shithouse nearby when trying to clear a congested stoppage. Fortunately I resisted.

Would be a bit of fun to throw Griff into the midfield if it was/had been bucketing down with rain.

Would be a biiiig body to have in there and would negate that lack of pace you mentioned...

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
They couldn’t do a docker article without polluting it with something from the slime over the river.

Attachments

• 8B2430F4-2D61-49E6-AE1D-8816764121BF.png
    8B2430F4-2D61-49E6-AE1D-8816764121BF.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,068

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

The AFL is full of multi positional players who get used strategically during games. Our recruiters have stockpiled them, and you can see it in our most recent draft.

In the midfield I would have him giving short rests to Darcy/Lobb or limited time on the likes of Cripps or Bontempelli.

With Chapman on the list the club has to find a place for him. An opening doesn't exist in his previous position. Surely he will be developed in a mid/wing role, or perhaps forward?

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Great to see we have Joel Corey on board. So underrated as a player. He’s going to be invaluable as a coach.

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking Bulimic.... muscle/strength would be helpful.

Wingers are skinny, but defence guys?

I think it’ll be a constant battle to build muscle for him.

How good does Giro look! I know he probably isn’t fan favourite but gee he works so hard and looks like he’s committed off field as well. I hope he gets a chance after fighting back from injury. Some more gifted players have used us and treated us as fools but a player works his butt off like Giro I hope gets a shot. The rest is up to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep.

Hamling is our best and he's as skinny as. Plenty of examples over the years too. Size and muscle isn't the be all and end all.
Skinny as. Hamling when a rookie was skinny but his size he is fine now. I can’t see either of Duman or Watson getting near Hamling for bulk. At the end of the day neither are KPD and will play off the flanks and use their speed and reach to spoil and run off.

Hazelsnuts

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2016
The beach
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
North Beach. AIK Stockholm
Skinny as. Hamling when a rookie was skinny but his size he is fine now. I can’t see either of Duman or Watson getting near Hamling for bulk. At the end of the day neither are KPD and will play off the flanks and use their speed and reach to spoil and run off.
Luke McPharlin was no monster - lean and small build if that makes sense, he did get manhandled by the bigger forwards - early on.
But he was a smart player, used his closing speed, leap and agility to beat the gorillas.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Luke McPharlin was no monster - lean and small build if that makes sense, he did get manhandled by the bigger forwards - early on.
But he was a smart player, used his closing speed, leap and agility to beat the gorillas.
I remember Barry Hall in particular saying he was the hardest player he played against.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
I remember Barry Hall in particular saying he was the hardest player he played against.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back