Training 2021 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not trying to say Crouch is making the colours look good, but that Guernsey - as much as I've hated it, actually looks alright there. Doesn't look as bad as I expected. I still think that black above the red is silly, and I get that it's hidden on the black side because it's black, but it's not terrible.

At least Deliveroo are content with only taking up one panel this year.

I wonder how it would look if our St Kilda logo was larger and taking up a quarter of the white. Reckon that would look pretty cool.

I'm not trying to say Crouch is making the colours look good, but that Guernsey - as much as I've hated it, actually looks alright there. Doesn't look as bad as I expected. I still think that black above the red is silly, and I get that it's hidden on the black side because it's black, but it's not terrible.

At least Deliveroo are content with only taking up one panel this year.

I wonder how it would look if our St Kilda logo was larger and taking up a quarter of the white. Reckon that would look pretty cool.

That black over the shoulder is really ugly.
I agree about the Deliveroo logo - much more palatable ( pun intended.)

Is the white panel thinner to accommodate Deliveroo? Either way dislike a thin white panel.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's always been thinner I think.

e0568cc859daf9306c97116bd67b059d

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to admit, i checked the list ages for 2021 on draftguru this morning, i was shocked to see we are the oldest average age list... Im sure thats skewed by Geary, Ryder, Carlisle, Frawley (and the fact we have 4 open spots) but still.

All depends how you want to cut and dice it.

St Kilda have 4 players over 30.
Cats have 9
Lions have 4
Hawks now down to only 4, but have a crap list

All depends how you want to cut and dice it.

St Kilda have 4 players over 30.
Cats have 9
Lions have 4
Hawks now down to only 4, but have a crap list

Geelong have a bulk of their best players at the late stages of their careers and are properly old. St Kilda hasn't drafted many players considering with rookies most sides probably take on 6 or so draft players every year. We have had to rebuild using recycled players so have used the picks that would have gone to those kids and also targeted older players in the draft. Our core best side is predominantly young. Ryder is the only older player that we couldn't live without at the moment.

I have to admit, i checked the list ages for 2021 on draftguru this morning, i was shocked to see we are the oldest average age list... Im sure thats skewed by Geary, Ryder, Carlisle, Frawley (and the fact we have 4 open spots) but still.

Yeah, spot on. But interesting that last year we were 7th oldest in terms of list age, but 3rd youngest in terms of playing age. If you look at the older guys now:

Ryder (33) - hopefully plays most games
Geary (32) - I guess plays most games, unless displaced?
Frawley (32) - probably only plays 5-10
McKernan (30) - might play a couple
Hannebery (30) - hopefully plays most games
Roberton (29) - sounds like he'll retire
Carlisle (29) - should play most games

And then a gap after that to three groups:

27: Ross, Webster, Hill, Crouch, Kent
26: Membrey, Dunstan, Sinclair, Jones
25: Billings, Marshall, Steele, Wilkie, Howard

Most likely in about 4-5 years we'll have a lot of seriously old guys (hopefully with a bunch of flags under their belt), but right now I don't see any huge issues.

Yeah, spot on. But interesting that last year we were 7th oldest in terms of list age, but 3rd youngest in terms of playing age. If you look at the older guys now:

Ryder (33) - hopefully plays most games
Geary (32) - I guess plays most games, unless displaced?
Frawley (32) - probably only plays 5-10
McKernan (30) - might play a couple
Hannebery (30) - hopefully plays most games
Roberton (29) - sounds like he'll retire
Carlisle (29) - should play most games

And then a gap after that to three groups:

27: Ross, Webster, Hill, Crouch, Kent
26: Membrey, Dunstan, Sinclair, Jones
25: Billings, Marshall, Steele, Wilkie, Howard

Most likely in about 4-5 years we'll have a lot of seriously old guys (hopefully with a bunch of flags under their belt), but right now I don't see any huge issues.

I'm going to make a bold prediction and say Carlisle will play less games than Frawley. I wouldn't be surprised if Mc Kernan gets more games than people think also. Hanners must average 5 games a year for us so I hope he plays a lot but he's a bonus more than a plan right nw.

I'm going to make a bold prediction and say Carlisle will play less games than Frawley. I wouldn't be surprised if Mc Kernan gets more games than people think also. Hanners must average 5 games a year for us so I hope he plays a lot but he's a bonus more than a plan right nw.
50/50 split in my opinion. Would not be surprised to see Frawley start then be rested through the middle before coming back in.
Obviously depending on injury.

50/50 split in my opinion. Would not be surprised to see Frawley start then be rested through the middle before coming back in.
Obviously depending on injury.

Don't get the lack of love for Carlisle - our best chb by a country mile.

I am a big fan of Carlisle but we saw him get left out a few games last year by Ratts depsite playing teams that required a second tall defender.
My balance is more from the perspective of Ratts liking Frawley and head hunting him. Therefore probably giving him games particularly early.

I got a feeling Carlisle/Frawley could be our new Hickey/Longer.

TBH I think I'll be happier debating Snake/Chips.

In what appears a reasonably settled side (injuries aside) it does look to be one of the more difficult to pick spots. For one reason or another Snake just wasn't seen as locked in best 22 before even Chips came into the equation.

FWIW I'm a massive Snake fan and think if he can string together 10-15 game at the right time of the year without injury that he's a massive piece of the puzzle for us.

Who from our forward line would you see McKernan displacing for him to get more games than expected?

I only see him playing in we get injuries.

I am a big fan of Carlisle but we saw him get left out a few games last year by Ratts depsite playing teams that required a second tall defender.
My balance is more from the perspective of Ratts liking Frawley and head hunting him. Therefore probably giving him games particularly early.
Yep he was left out of a few games BUT when push came to shove he was selected to play CHB in QF with the selection committee knowing full well he wouldn't be available the following week.

I wouldn't put a line through him just yet.

AS for Frawley being head hunted - I think he was headhunted for the very same reason Sam Rowe was for 2019 and Ryan Abbott for 2020.

1610755450408.png

We tried to dump him in a trade and left him out of the side in 2020. The fans like him, it seems the coaches are a little less attached to him. Frawley is a very disciplined hard trainer from a professional club..... Jake is a loose unit. Being good and being a team player are two seperate things. I can see Chip putting in a big preseason a Jake having to work hard to pry his spot off him. Howard can play one key post and Frawley the other with Battle, Wilkie and Highmore all capable of taking the third tall back role. I can see Jake having back issues and not playing much in 2021 on top of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back