Training 2021 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitness has never been an issue... nor has skills.

Finding the football has.

Fingers crossed he can step up and get the pill 20 times a game.

Being played out of position had a bit to do with it too.

Ratts is a renowned developer of midfield talent so Sincs couldn't really have a better mentor to turn the potential into production.

The reports about Sinclair are promising, though I don’t really think he’s ever going be to be a huge accumulator of the footy. I’d love for him to get 25 touches a week, but I’d be picking him every week if he plays at the level of last year. I thought he actually had a really solid season once he got into the team. Justin Leppitsch speaks about possession tallies and Richmond’s attitude towards it well. Not every player is going to rack up the footy. There is only a certain amount of disposals that will occur each game. The onus on clubs therefore is to make sure a player can still have an influence with 15 odd disposals. Sinclair can do that. He uses it so well and makes good decisions so he can have a positive impact without getting huge numbers. He’s also not a player that plays the majority of the game in the middle or on a wing. He gets thrown around between various positions, making it less likely that he’ll get huge numbers - and that’s ok.

The reports about Sinclair are promising, though I don’t really think he’s ever going be to be a huge accumulator of the footy. I’d love for him to get 25 touches a week, but I’d be picking him every week if he plays at the level of last year. I thought he actually had a really solid season once he got into the team. Justin Leppitsch speaks about possession tallies and Richmond’s attitude towards it well. Not every player is going to rack up the footy. There is only a certain amount of disposals that will occur each game. The onus on clubs therefore is to make sure a player can still have an influence with 15 odd disposals. Sinclair can do that. He uses it so well and makes good decisions so he can have a positive impact without getting huge numbers. He’s also not a player that plays the majority of the game in the middle or on a wing. He gets thrown around between various positions, making it less likely that he’ll get huge numbers - and that’s ok.

Great point. Unfortunately SuperCoach & the like has made stats the be all and end all with many footy supporters. A bloke who pads his stats is so often revered over a player who gets it & uses it to advantage without over possessing.

With Ratts game style I suggest we won't have anyone close to being at the top of the most disposal counts, especially if Crouch takes some pressure off Steeley.

2018 rounds 3 to 17
Disposals.
29,17, 25,30, 20,25

He's got the ability if he can raise it to the next level.

And he uses the ball so well, if he could get 30 touches a game he would be right up there with the beat IMO.
Mate you are dreaming, if he could get 20 every week most would be doing back flips, 30 is way beyond him, let's stop dreaming that he has turned into Neale over the pre season

2018 rounds 3 to 17
Disposals.
29,17, 25,30, 20,25

He's got the ability if he can raise it to the next level.
Yeah he has got the capability to win the footy when played predominantly around the ball. His season in 2018 when he played mainly on a wing is a common reference point for how we should utilise Sinclair, though it's worth noting that he didn't come top ten in our best and fairest despite playing 20 matches, so I don't think his form that year should be the yardstick for his potential. He's also not going to play on a wing for the majority of games like he did that season. Our depth in midfield is far deeper than it was in 2018, so it's pretty likely that he'll have to rotate between various positions across all three sections of the ground. Not every player needs to get 25 touches a game, and it doesn't necessarily benefit the player or the team.

Yeah he has got the capability to win the footy when played predominantly around the ball. His season in 2018 when he played mainly on a wing is a common reference point for how we should utilise Sinclair, though it's worth noting that he didn't come top ten in our best and fairest despite playing 20 matches, so I don't think his form that year should be the yardstick for his potential. He's also not going to play on a wing for the majority of games like he did that season. Our depth in midfield is far deeper than it was in 2018, so it's pretty likely that he'll have to rotate between various positions across all three sections of the ground. Not every player needs to get 25 touches a game, and it doesn't necessarily benefit the player or the team.

Fair comment but i can't help laughing at what Risky posted directly after my facts from 2018

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disclaimer: Not for me to question Ratten. Done pretty much everything right so far.

having said that, wasn’t Frawley tapped on the shoulder playing in an awful Hawthorn side? Where is the evidence that he will reverse that slide? Or is it just the usual ‘ training the house down’ at this stage?
I think it's largely because they saw the opportunity, or had the opportunity to grab a younger, longer term option, in Hartigan (who came 8th in Adelaide's B&F), so they took that opportunity, which meant that they no longer had a position for Chip.

Don't forget that they also retired Luke Hodge, who it turns out had two more good seasons of footy in him.

Last edited:
Could it just be a body double and they’re gonna photoshop Ben Paton’s head on?
If so are we still missing someone? Clav?
I can only count 41 on there including who ever that person is.

Unless there is 2 people front row behind the cameraman

Last edited:
Michael barlow was at least a full year with the same kind of break.

Was also never the same player as he showed pre injury either, as with nathan brown.

Fingers crossed it's different for pato but history says it's a seriously career limiting injury.

Forget about this year, or even next year really in terms of him being anywhere near his pre injury self.

Let's just hope he gets back to where he was any ANY point in time.
Not disagreeing with you here but Michael Voss had a very similar break back in 1998 against Fremantle I believe, and went onto become 3 time premiership captain and superstar, so while it seemed to have affected Brown and Barlow that wont necessarily happen to Paton. Keep our fingers crossed that he ends up on Voss's side of the fence. Cheers

View attachment 1063687

Anyone know who this is? Noticed this on the Insta story - it’s not Highmore or Wood as they’re up the back and Hunter is in the middle next to Ro??? Or am I trippin’
Paton's body double.

Also worth noting, Roberton isnt in the team photo so that suggests he has officially retired.

Just on Saints.com.au, game v North to be streamed on Thursday, in the afternoon.

Edit: just come up on my email feed, says it was up on Saints.com.au for a day.

North Melbourne v St Kilda (Practice Match)
Arden Street Oval
12pm, 25 February

Stream to be available via homepage of saints.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back