Training 2021 Pre-Season

Sorry mate, someone asked this on the facebook announcement post and the Saints rep replied saying they couldn't keep it hosted unfortunately.
If I were at home I'd be recording it but unfortunately not.

View attachment 1063734
Bloody hell. Does anyone know how to record it? I'd pay money if someone could haha

Moorabbin Ghost

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2015
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
View attachment 1063856

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 23: Dan Hannebery of the Saints poses for a photograph during the St Kilda Saints 2021 Official Team Photo Day at RSEA Park on February 23, 2021 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos)

Unfortunately Hanners tore the hamstring from the bone posing for this photo.

Keg still on legs

Cancelled
St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Baghdad Bombers - Sweet F.A.
Jul 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

F#c! No worries fellas don’t hold back on laying the boot in

I don't think they were grossly unfair. No doubt we don't have the star power of some midfields. But I also think that could end up being our strength in that we will have an even spread and not rely on one or 2 stars every week (eg Melb)

Jan 10, 2020
Western Suburbs, Melb.
AFL Club
St Kilda

F#c! No worries fellas don’t hold back on laying the boot in
I mean... I agree with them?

We are probably a star mid or (another) star KPF away from a premiership.

We are in good stead, making a play at now, but when next year hits and all those FA's become available we can make a big play at one of them, setting us up fully for a flag tilt in 2023 onwards.

Mar 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

We are in good stead, making a play at now, but when next year hits and all those FA's become available we can make a big play at one of them, setting us up fully for a flag tilt in 2023 onwards.

I know i was just being dramatic probably saw us a little further ahead so got a little shirty on this one

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
I know i was just being dramatic probably saw us a little further ahead so got a little shirty on this one
To say we are not even in the conversation for top 4 is harsh. We finished 5th last year and we have improved our list.

Also think they're ignoring Clark who showed signs of being a gun midfielder last year. Not to mention Crouch.

Having said that I think it's good that we're still going under the radar.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I am a big Sinclair fan. But he's never really been a high producer. Quality for sure. Whether it was a role he was given....or in Jack Dyer parlance 'going where the ball 'aint'.....it's hard to say.

I put him in my Supercoach team late last season and he always did middling numbers. In one game right at the end of the season (can't remember which) he had very low numbers. I was moaning and groaning....and suddenly he racked up a 50 point quarter. A big quarter no matter which way you look at it. Out of nowhere. He'd been put at half-back and really got the team driving forward. Next quarter he was forward and hardly got a touch. He's definitely got in him.

Maybe he needs someone to help inject him into the game. Could Crouch be that guy? Feed him the ball a bit more. He's quick, great vision, and he is usually quality with his delivery. Just hasn't been consistent. Fingers crossed that Ratts uses him properly.

I think he tends to get thrown around a bit as needed, including the dreaded defensive forward role.
Don't go thinking that his low number games were necessarily bad.

Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda

I agree with this too, except for maybe the FA part. I think that we're probably only 3-4 players away from really competing for a flag, and doing so over a 3-5 year period, but I also think that most of those players can come from within.
For mine, I think we are only one more star mid and another ruckmen away from completing our midfield for a decent period, a decent but not amazing fullback away from completing our backline, and a CHF away from completing our forward line.
The ruckmen is already there in Ryder, though best case scenario he has 2 more good seasons. Obviously Marshall would be looking to replace him when he's done, though I personally like Roma as a ruck forward, Spider Everitt type. Using Spider as an example, if we could continue to bring in Vidivic/Stephen King/Ryder types to support Marshall, and do the majority of the centre tap work, then we'll be more than solid in that department.
Midfield wise, if one of Gresham, Clark, or even Jack Bytel could become an AA grade mid, and Steele and Crouch could play to the level that they've already shown, then we will have as good a midfield as anyone in the comp. With Billings and Hill on the wings, and Ross and Jones helping out, that's a premiership contending line.
Backline wise, if we had Carlisle from 3 years ago, we'd be all set. Unfortunately now we have a slightly broken down, potentially slightly despondent Jake, and as such need to replace him. However Howard is looking great, and has all the traits of a great CHB (tall, athletic, high footy IQ, and a little bit of agro). If he moves to Jake's spot, we'd get away with a decent FB stopper.
Forward wise, I believe we will have the best forward line in the comp next year if not this year, but a lot of this relies on Josh Battle. He's our future CHF for sure. He's tough, he's got a huge tank, and he's a great kick both around the ground and at goal. With him roaming the arch's, Max patrolling the goal square to the 30m, and Butler and Higgins at their feet, that's a deadly forward line. Add Gresh and Marshall floating in, and Members as the third tall, and your cooking with gas.

I am a big Sinclair fan. But he's never really been a high producer. Quality for sure. Whether it was a role he was given....or in Jack Dyer parlance 'going where the ball 'aint'.....it's hard to say.

I put him in my Supercoach team late last season and he always did middling numbers. In one game right at the end of the season (can't remember which) he had very low numbers. I was moaning and groaning....and suddenly he racked up a 50 point quarter. A big quarter no matter which way you look at it. Out of nowhere. He'd been put at half-back and really got the team driving forward. Next quarter he was forward and hardly got a touch. He's definitely got in him.

Maybe he needs someone to help inject him into the game. Could Crouch be that guy? Feed him the ball a bit more. He's quick, great vision, and he is usually quality with his delivery. Just hasn't been consistent. Fingers crossed that Ratts uses him properly.

I think his impact is much higher than his numbers suggest. He's the opposite to a player like Rockliff for example. He'll probably never average 25 plus possessions a game but his 18 laser passes and clean hands off the deck at pace make him a very strong contributor. He would probably be one of the cleanest players in the AFL, he rarely wastes anything and his ability to win the ball below his knees is probably close to the top handful of players in the comp. He's a disaster if you want a SuperCoach impact player but I'd have him in the best 22 unless someone top shelf can push him out.

Bloody hell. Does anyone know how to record it? I'd pay money if someone could haha

It's easy to record it, not so easy to cast it. If the club isn't putting it up on YouTube it's probably licensed by the AFL and not legal to put it up without paying for the rights to it.

It's easy to record it, not so easy to cast it. If the club isn't putting it up on YouTube it's probably licensed by the AFL and not legal to put it up without paying for the rights to it.
Nah you could get away with streaming it from the club website and uploading it to a file hosting website. Then people just download the file and watch it on their personal computers.

There's not much stopping someone from say, recording it and uploading it to mega or similar to share privately.
Not that you would ever condone such a practice, just providing an example.

I don't think they were grossly unfair. No doubt we don't have the star power of some midfields. But I also think that could end up being our strength in that we will have an even spread and not rely on one or 2 stars every week (eg Melb)

Richmond are similar. Edwards is A grade but not elite, Prestia similarly sits in between. Cotchin has been elite but not for a couple of years and Dusty spends less and less time in there. They have 4 or 5 others that rotate through but you don't look at their list a swoon. Bulldogs have a huge pile of elite mids but it is sort of doubling up in most of them. Geelong again has one elite and a pile of A graders. Collingwood has had one of the best midfield groups but age is catching up now, West Coast again, is very good but not like a gallery of elite mids. Post has masses of quality but not much variation etc.

Hanners, Steele, Gresham, Jones, Crouch, Sinclair, Billings, Hill, Ross, Clark with a few running though is starting to look very good with Paddy and Marshall as the rucks. There is a real depth of quality there now and is seriously underrated by outsiders. 3 or 4 years ago we had Ross and Stuv and then a gulf.

Crouch is close to elite, Steele is elite if he backs up, Gresham and Jones have a point of difference inside, Billings, Ross, Hill and Sinclair outside. Clark and Crouch can inside bull. Hanners can do both. If we an keep fit we will stretch good mids. It's not far off the elite midfield IMO and has most bases covered.

I agree with this too, except for maybe the FA part. I think that we're probably only 3-4 players away from really competing for a flag, and doing so over a 3-5 year period, but I also think that most of those players can come from within.
For mine, I think we are only one more star mid and another ruckmen away from completing our midfield for a decent period, a decent but not amazing fullback away from completing our backline, and a CHF away from completing our forward line.
The ruckmen is already there in Ryder, though best case scenario he has 2 more good seasons. Obviously Marshall would be looking to replace him when he's done, though I personally like Roma as a ruck forward, Spider Everitt type. Using Spider as an example, if we could continue to bring in Vidivic/Stephen King/Ryder types to support Marshall, and do the majority of the centre tap work, then we'll be more than solid in that department.
Midfield wise, if one of Gresham, Clark, or even Jack Bytel could become an AA grade mid, and Steele and Crouch could play to the level that they've already shown, then we will have as good a midfield as anyone in the comp. With Billings and Hill on the wings, and Ross and Jones helping out, that's a premiership contending line.
Backline wise, if we had Carlisle from 3 years ago, we'd be all set. Unfortunately now we have a slightly broken down, potentially slightly despondent Jake, and as such need to replace him. However Howard is looking great, and has all the traits of a great CHB (tall, athletic, high footy IQ, and a little bit of agro). If he moves to Jake's spot, we'd get away with a decent FB stopper.
Forward wise, I believe we will have the best forward line in the comp next year if not this year, but a lot of this relies on Josh Battle. He's our future CHF for sure. He's tough, he's got a huge tank, and he's a great kick both around the ground and at goal. With him roaming the arch's, Max patrolling the goal square to the 30m, and Butler and Higgins at their feet, that's a deadly forward line. Add Gresh and Marshall floating in, and Members as the third tall, and your cooking with gas.

We have to keep bringing in some mid 20s players to stay up or get internal improvement. Hanners and Paddy will be hard to replace and our fill in depth is at the end. We look like we are putting together a list to challenge now.

To say we are not even in the conversation for top 4 is harsh. We finished 5th last year and we have improved our list.

Also think they're ignoring Clark who showed signs of being a gun midfielder last year. Not to mention Crouch.

Having said that I think it's good that we're still going under the radar.

Port and Brisbane will find it harder without a bulk of home games as well. They are far from guaranteed to back up. Geelong are an interesting one too. They have gone hard for now with oldies but it can fall over pretty quickly when the bulk of the side is already ancient.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Richmond are similar. Edwards is A grade but not elite, Prestia similarly sits in between. Cotchin has been elite but not for a couple of years and Dusty spends less and less time in there. They have 4 or 5 others that rotate through but you don't look at their list a swoon. Bulldogs have a huge pile of elite mids but it is sort of doubling up in most of them. Geelong again has one elite and a pile of A graders. Collingwood has had one of the best midfield groups but age is catching up now, West Coast again, is very good but not like a gallery of elite mids. Post has masses of quality but not much variation etc.

Hanners, Steele, Gresham, Jones, Crouch, Sinclair, Billings, Hill, Ross, Clark with a few running though is starting to look very good with Paddy and Marshall as the rucks. There is a real depth of quality there now and is seriously underrated by outsiders. 3 or 4 years ago we had Ross and Stuv and then a gulf.

Crouch is close to elite, Steele is elite if he backs up, Gresham and Jones have a point of difference inside, Billings, Ross, Hill and Sinclair outside. Clark and Crouch can inside bull. Hanners can do both. If we an keep fit we will stretch good mids. It's not far off the elite midfield IMO and has most bases covered.
I don't think we have any less "stars" in the midfield (or anywhere on the ground actually) compared to Port who they talk up as someone we won't be as good as.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think we have any less "stars" in the midfield (or anywhere on the ground actually) compared to Port who they talk up as someone we won't be as good as.
Yeh the comparison to Richmond is pretty good, worth remembering everyone gets an extra point in ratings for being a premiership player. Daniel Rioli hasn’t done much in 2 years but a lot would pick him over Billings or Butler even, not me or anyone in here.

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda

If Steele can get some more support defensively that will allow him to get off the leash and take his game to another level. It won't take much for him to reach star status. I also firmly believe Clark and Coffield both have it in them to become stars of the AFL. I am hoping Coffield hits that mark this year.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Steele can get some more support defensively that will allow him to get off the leash and take his game to another level. It won't take much for him to reach star status. I also firmly believe Clark and Coffield both have it in them to become stars of the AFL. I am hoping Coffield hits that mark this year.

Strongly suspect Steele will remain a two way mid for his career, his defensive stuff is so so good, Lenny like at times.

I think the likes of Clark, Gresh even Jones would be your Dusty style all out attack mids but id rather see Steele stay as a proper two way mid (just my preference, he can do whatever he wants frankly)

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeh the comparison to Richmond is pretty good, worth remembering everyone gets an extra point in ratings for being a premiership player. Daniel Rioli hasn’t done much in 2 years but a lot would pick him over Billings or Butler even, not me or anyone in here.
Rioli gets the last name boost as well.

I also think there is a bit of bias where we get talked about as a team with no stars so some players we have don't get the same plaudits a player with the same output gets at another club where the media narrative leans towards them being a team with heaps of stars.

Being under estimated by the media is a good things at time but it would also be great if some of our players could the attention and credit they deserve.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams

Step 1.
Play well.
Step 2.
Be named a star.

Step 3 . People go ,hmmmm you have star power...though it wasn't recognised at Step 1.

Hunter Clark. I'm counting on you.

Jack Steel was as good as just about anyone in a midfield last year, but so far he hasn't hit step 2, though he is more on the radar since the Brownlow count.

Back