Preview 2021 Preliminary Final vs Western Bulldogs @ Adelaide Oval 11/09/21

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Hawks won the prelim by 54
2009 Geelong won the prelim by 73
2011 Geelong won the prelim by 48
2018 West Coast won the prelim by 66

I've always felt like winning the prelim by a lot sets you up for failure, but I just looked it up, and, by my count, since 2000 the team with the bigger winning margin in the prelim has won the premiership 10 times, and the team with the smaller winning margin in the prelim has won the premiership 10 times (Collingwood and Brisbane both had the same winning margin one year). Statistically it couldn't be less relevant.

Let's just ******* get there.

Charlie Dixon is overdue for a big game .And would of enjoyed a week off..Bulldogs lack a bit of height in defence also..Both Port and the Western Bulldogs would of been horrified
At how easy Melbourne ran out that last qtr

Charlie Dixon is overdue for a big game .And would of enjoyed a week off..Bulldogs lack a bit of height in defence also..Both Port and the Western Bulldogs would of been horrified
At how easy Melbourne ran out that last qtr
Without Keath playing I’m hoping for Dixon to have a Gawn-like performance

The Crows beat Geelong by 10 goals in the 2017 PF.

They were unstoppable, right up until they were stopped.

Yeah however this Melbourne side have a lot more talented players than that crows side. Talent rose to the top that day and Richmond proved to have the better talent. Melbourne won't make a meal of it like the crows did.

Yeah however this Melbourne side have a lot more talented players than that crows side. Talent rose to the top that day and Richmond proved to have the better talent. Melbourne won't make a meal of it like the crows did.
I disagree with the talent, Adelaide 2017 were just as talented if not more than Melbourne this year. And if any team is gunna s**t the bed on GF its Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best wishes.
Beveridge whingeing about Bontempelli being targeted.
That is what the Dogs did to Hannebery in the 2016 grand finals, slid in under his legs.
The bizarre thing in all this is that I haven't seen anyone from Port suggest that Bont would be targeted in the manner Beveridge is suggesting. Beveridge is a bit cooked.

I disagree with the talent, Adelaide 2017 were just as talented if not more than Melbourne this year. And if any team is gunna sh*t the bed on GF its Melbourne

We'll agree to disagree with the talent. Melbourne have a midfield that are better than the Crouch duo and Sloane.
Hopefully we make the gf and the afl media do their bit to emphasise the Melbourne fairytale.
Back to this thread, we need another big game from Drew.

I think that’s really underselling Adelaide. They were the dominant force that year, arguably more dominant than Melbourne have been this year. They just didn’t deliver when it mattered. It happens.

I think that’s really underselling Adelaide. They were the dominant force that year, arguably more dominant than Melbourne have been this year. They just didn’t deliver when it mattered. It happens.
Melbourne have been great, but it's hard to get a gauge on whether we can take them. Geelong were pathetic last night and Melbourne took full advantage. This wasn't some brutal defensive contest from both sides - Geelong really never fired a shot. When we played Melbourne we were missing some important players so it's hard to say what would have happened if we had a full side. Basically, you can't really assume that we have no chance against Melbourne if we make it. I think we have what it takes, but we'd need to be at our best.

I disagree there. 2017 Adelaide was one of the scariest footy teams to come up against. Arguably the peak of their powers as a club, come grand final day it wasn't a matter of if they won, it was just a matter of how much they won by. Obviously things didn't pan out that way but no point rewriting history before that GF just because they got pumped and we don't like the Crows.

I disagree there. 2017 Adelaide was one of the scariest footy teams to come up against. Arguably the peak of their powers as a club, come grand final day it wasn't a matter of if they won, it was just a matter of how much they won by. Obviously things didn't pan out that way but no point rewriting history before that GF just because they got pumped and we don't like the Crows.
lol. I remember people posting this s**t at the time too, pretty funny. Uncontested shootout AFL X garbage.

Can't really agree with this.

In 2017, Adelaide finished top with 15 wins and a draw. That's one of the poorer records for a minor premier and it suggests that the competition was not particularly strong that year.

To put it into perspective, their record in 2017 would only have been good enough for fourth place this year and without the draw they would fall to sixth.

It's also the case that Adelaide performed poorly at the MCG in 2017. They never showed good form at the GF venue at any stage during the season.

Sure, they were warm favourites on GF day but, given the above, that favouritism was somewhat misplaced.

If there's any rewriting of history going on, it's probably by Port supporters who were dazzled by the late season thrashing they handed us - a thrashing that in fact told us more about Port than it did Adelaide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back