Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Sheeds ability to hit the scoreboard which leaves him picking up the slack left from our other mids.

Considering Shuey, Yeo and Kelly have all regressed in that area, it's important we give Dom a bit of free reign when it comes to pushing forward and getting out on his own to punch through a snag off the left. It's what makes up (somewhat) for his average tackling pressure.

8 goals last year, 16 goals the year before was the most of all our mids. He's been good for a goal every 2 games for a while now.

His contested possessions are fine (ranked#2 at the club behind Yeo in 2019 & 2020). He knows how to win the ball at the coalface.

Sheed pre shoulder injury seemed to come back with some decent gains and then lost it after the injury. I dunno if it was posted on her but someone told me that his brother is a lump of a lad as well. Not sure why sheed is on more the lean side compared to Shuey/kelly/Yeo

Much of the underwhelming results of the past two seasons can arguably be reduced down to not being able to address this issue in Sheed's consistency around stoppages when placed under physical pressure.
I assume you mean Sheed's underwhelming results rather than the team's? Bit of a stretch to say much of our problems are arguably down to one B grade mid struggling with physical pressure.

Even still grab the around the ground clearance numbers the last 3 years and you will see he is one of the top clearance players in the league around the ground. If he is being beaten by bigger bodies it makes sense for him to play more outside of the centre square where there is less one on one pressure.

No denials here that he is a good clearance player in general - he is averaging just under 5 clearances per game over the past three seasons and was ranked 13th overall in the competition in 2020.

The issue is over the last three years when Sheed has been able to positively impact the centre square, the team goes to another level. In matches during that period where Sheed has managed 3 or more centre clearances, the team has an 11-2 record (85%) which drops down to 30-16 (65%) when he fails to do so.

The obvious concern with those statistics is that Sheed is having that level of centre square impact in less than a quarter of his performances since 2018.

The dilemma for the club is do they try to get Sheed to develop more consistency at the coalface or provide him with a role that is far more outside-orientated and effectively lock Shuey and Kelly into inside roles that hamper much of their potential impact in the attacking areas of the ground.

I assume you mean Sheed's underwhelming results rather than the team's? Bit of a stretch to say much of our problems are arguably down to one B grade mid struggling with physical pressure.

Agree it was a very (and perhaps over-)generalised statement; but that said, a major reason behind the early elimination of the club from finals in the last two years has been due to a lack of balance and supporting depth through the midfield - and the role that Sheed plays is a significant component within that issue.

Funny thing is i believe Sheed is a better player in a GF type pressure game than an open style game.He gets hands to ball and offloads as quick as possible.Doesn,t matter where as theres no time.Get it forward asap.In an open running game he runs and tackles like....er...well he doesn,t.
Theres something to be said for Shuey going forward.Being captain he goes in too hard and direct for a little fella,coupled with the oppositions propensity to target team captains and its little wonder his old body is suffering.
Remember Daniel Kerr? Could have been one of the great forward pockets even in the twilight of his career.But no!! we continued to use him as a battering ram until he was broken.

Funny thing is i believe Sheed is a better player in a GF type pressure game than an open style game.He gets hands to ball and offloads as quick as possible.Doesn,t matter where as theres no time.Get it forward asap.In an open running game he runs and tackles like....er...well he doesn,t.
Theres something to be said for Shuey going forward.Being captain he goes in too hard and direct for a little fella,coupled with the oppositions propensity to target team captains and its little wonder his old body is suffering.
Remember Daniel Kerr? Could have been one of the great forward pockets even in the twilight of his career.But no!! we continued to use him as a battering ram until he was broken.

Kerr was broken the moment he tore his hamstring tendon off the bone. The fact he was able to come back and play at all was surprising. Once that had happened he lost his explosiveness and it is a true testament to Kerr's character on field that he was able to come back and play influential football. But without that explosiveness, speed and power it's hard to see how he would have been even a decent forward pocket.

Wonder if we go with Sheed on the wing alongside Gaff but none of this defensive wing rubbish. Sheed should then be aiming to push forward ( he has increased his tank it seems) kick some goals.
The preseason news seems to suggest he will play a lot of outside footy.

Gaff’s 2 AA’s came in years he was hitting the scoreboard. I don’t know if it’s structural/ team thing or just him but he needs to get back to being a forward threat.

It would be ideal to have improved scoring from our midfielders - to score on the burst or from set shots. I'm sure that's always the goal (excuse the pun), but the forward zone is always hotly contested and often crowded. Just to improve firepower/scoring ability from different players, (but surely they're always working on that aspect anyway?) - and as an alternative to bombing it into the arc for the tall forwards.

Shuey's scoring may be down, but he manages to snag those clutch goals when needed.
Yeo could improve his scoring capacity. Has the ability and the body type to hustle+bustle and score on the burst a la Degoneski and Dusty Doo-Dah..
Greaat to see Dirk Diggler back with new improved mullet - "but wait, there's 50% more!"
He looks in flowing beast mode and will hopefully light up the midfield with mongrel campaigner!
Sheed sounds impressive, driven to improve..hope this rubs off on other players lest they show lack of desire or hunger? :rolleyes: Certainly need as much firepower from the mids as possible.

JK+JD look fit and toned. Oscar and Snake should lift this season.
Simmo talking about a different feel amongst the group this time around, different to '19 and '20. Reckons enough time has passed since the GF to fire up again-or something to that effect? (which seems a bit lame to me, when other teams of our ilk can go back to back to back..?)

Looked at Jackson Nelson running around and thought he will only ever be depth.Yes hes got a bit of niggle but other than that hes not gone on with it.when i first saw his draft highlights i thought wow this guy looks a natural on his left.But he appears to have forgotten that.Mate using a left equally as good as your right can elevate you from ok to very good.He needs to sit down and watch a highlights package from S. Mitchell.Marking at half back;going back and banging it up the wing will not get you the kudos that whirling infield and using your left will.Nor is it the expected outcome and opens up the corridor.He needs to train relentlessly on his left as it is a huge weapon he has at his disposal;one he rarely uses.Im really surprised that the WCE coaching staff haven't gotten on his case.We recruited him with a certain skill set yet he leaves half of it at home when he comes to play.

Nelson is only just maturing to the confidence levels required to do as you suggest. Reported he trains very much how you describe. He's being picked as a lock down defender most weeks. He is also improving each year. Time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if we go with Sheed on the wing alongside Gaff but none of this defensive wing rubbish. Sheed should then be aiming to push forward ( he has increased his tank it seems) kick some goals.
The preseason news seems to suggest he will play a lot of outside footy.

Gaff’s 2 AA’s came in years he was hitting the scoreboard. I don’t know if it’s structural/ team thing or just him but he needs to get back to being a forward threat.

I like the Sheed Gaff attacking combo on each wing.

With Duggan on ball he brings natural defensive skills and also knows how to intercept mark. Yeo the same.

Shuey forward more is also a yes from me. He went a bit silly early last season attacking the packs and he isnt a big mid. Those hammies need looking after more and more.

Does anybody know if there will be open training days or is that a casualty of covid. I drove past the other day and their was quite a crowd watching from outside the fence, maybe that's all that's allowed.

Does anybody know if there will be open training days or is that a casualty of covid. I drove past the other day and their was quite a crowd watching from outside the fence, maybe that's all that's allowed.

So you can't sit, what 200m away, from the players and watch them train? Does that mean the players are not going to the shops or living their lives at all? I dont understand how these things interrelate.

Sounds like bs from the club tbh, and using a convenient excuse. They never like people watching training.

So you can't sit, what 200m away, from the players and watch them train? Does that mean the players are not going to the shops or living their lives at all? I dont understand how these things interrelate.

Sounds like bs from the club tbh, and using a convenient excuse. They never like people watching training.

Their training grounds are hugely open and accessible from beyond a cyclone fence from a public area to the point of them struggling to have a closed training session. If you really wanted to catch a glimpse it's really not hard at all.

*as an aside yeah I get what you're getting at though.

I would imagine that AFL House are the puppetmasters in this regard.

I would imagine that AFL House are the puppetmasters in this regard.
It was about this time last year (probably a few months into the year) where wc and freo were banned from having the maximum training sessions - and limited by the league to what other states can do.

Now, with WA's 14 day quarantine requirements, all other clubs are basically unlimited in their sessions, but both us and Freo have been missing players in quarantine.

They may be the puppet masters, but it is policy on the run that really makes no sense. Surely allowing a small crowd (no player contact) at an open session in WA is of zero risk to the AFL. Of course they have the blinkers on as usual and put in a one size fits all policy (that works for the majority but disadvantages some minorities).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree he improved but hes got the tools to be more than a number.Weve got Cole,Nelson and Rotham who are all reasonable similar.Theres no Hurn/Jetta replacement among them..Nelson could be above average.
Yeah nah.. Cole & Nelson are similar, your small back pocket types who play on a small forward. Rotham is more of a 3rd tall down back who is probably the closest we have to Hurn after Witherden.

Shuey forward more is also a yes from me. He went a bit silly early last season attacking the packs and he isnt a big mid. Those hammies need looking after more and more.
Agree, he also adopted the hairstyle of Dusty, which was a bit cringeworthy...well, not very original. But the hammies are a concern and he could be better preserved upfront more, not unlike Dusty...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back