Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeo hasn't played since round 11 last year. August 9th.

205 days ago.
205 days pffft Willie says "hold my bong"
The west coast eagles medical team never fails to keep disappointing........

I have said it on this board for the last few seasons: as far as I am concerned, the whole medical department needs to be cleaned out, and restaffed.

Again, I stress: in my opinion, our boys don't get injured more then other teams. But, the capacity of our medical team to get players right once they are injured, is second rate.

I feel Yeo is going to end up sitting out almost a calender year, when he should have been having adductor release surgery the moment he was pulled from last season.

Still, at least the SJOG injury report and its misplaced optimism never fails to give me a chuckle.
maybe the medical team and social media team compare notes

Ok that health report has really pissed me off.

Downright ******* depressing. Total motivation killer.

No Kelly or JK this week. That's just great. Was hoping for a less sh*t, more competitive hitout, considering I'm actually paying and allocating a whole arvo.

Considering watching from home now and giving watching it live a miss.

Bailey dead. Again. And now going to miss round 1. Again. ******* dejavu. Really hoping we use Oscar and don't get tempted into spud Vardy in round 1.

Yeo, our most important midfielder's recovery is moving at absolute treacle pace. Jarrod Cameron is practically dead.

Sack someone plz. Can't even keep our shitty depth healthy. Brayden will play 10 games this year at this rate.
so..?

I am not talking about any particular injury in isolation.

But the number of injuries across the entire squad over the last couple of years, and the number of recurrences/setbacks/aggravations should be concerning to anyone.

We seem to be a significant outlier for number of injuries along with Fremantle and Collingwood.

All sports clubs that are engaged in high performing team sports have KPIs as part of their role. It's to do with player availability, % of injuries that progress in line with prescribed timelines, % of injuries that have recurrences etc.

Those are the markers used to measure the performance of S&C/medical departments in those jobs, and from the outside, our S&C would have to be some of the worst performing in the league.
Not necessarily. The KPIs will be as much about understanding fitnesss and injury issues as about whether S&C staff are good at their job. Any decent club administration will understand that factors such as travel, surfaces, etc will affect achievement of KPIs. And as for putting players under the knife, only ever as a last resort for a condition like OP.

If it makes you feel any better, "ruined" was an exaggeration, but we still had to watch the best midfielder in the competition hobble around the forward line doing jack sh*t instead of resting.

And he was never the same after that.

To the clubs credit, they seemed to have learned their lesson, and aren't plonking Yeo at full forward and hoping for the best.

None of this is to say the Eagles have the worst medical team in the competition, but to have Yeo and Cameron on the sidelines with OP, after we saw the effect it had on Judd, on top of Willie and Venables, is concerning for our 2021 chances.
Judd running around in the forward line whilst crook was at his insistence. He was Captain, contemplating heading home to Melbs and I genuinely think he wanted to give his best before pulling the pin. He would have known the longer term impact on his health at the time.

It's formidable, but it is a bit on the small side. Shuey is explosive, and Kelly is strong through his legs/hips, but a midfield consisting of the above players can be moved off the ball by oppo mids.

Most of our biggest rivals have atleast one or two big bodied midfielders, and the risk is that outside of centre clearances, oppo teams will simply bully a West Coast midfield of Gaff, Sheed, Duggan.

Totally agree. Rd1, Rowell will take us to cleaners. As soon as the ball is below knees, we transform into witches hats.

So Gaff is sore and 'ginger' after the freo scratch match.

No surprise really. Did anyone else notice the Freo flogs going hard at Gaff. Saw Fyfe full on shove Gaff in the middle of the back into the turf and then two more occassions Freo players going out of their way to shove Gaff in the back into other moving players in close.

The fact that so many different Freo players did the same thing almost looked preplanned to be honest.

Was obvious they haven't forgotten nor forgiven him for the Brayshaw incident and to be honest I wouldn't play Gaff this week against the purple flogs again. He's too important with Yeo our and Kelly with a sore thumb. Get Trew in there for some exposure.

The team Dr has only been there a couple of years, has a reasonable resume including tour Dr for the Australian cricket team amongst other things. Without knowing the precise details of Yeo's injury and unless you have the medical expertise I don't see how anyone would know if they were doing a good job or not.
Groin injuries can be difficult, Daniher has played 15 games in the last 3 seasons due to a groin injury, it's the nature of the beast.
Spot on.

The complaining chicken little's on here wouldn't know any details and really are just having a sook.

Anyone would think we are the only team with injuries and players in rehab and every other team has a full squad available every week.

Totally agree. Rd1, Rowell will take us to cleaners. As soon as the ball is below knees, we transform into witches hats.

So Kelly and Shuey are no good bellow their knees?

Really?

And this guy is no witches hat.

Simo has even said he brings something different to our midfield group and improves it.

Duggan v Rowell head to head round 1 :thumbsu:

1614729116888.png

I actually sometimes wonder if people who post here are Eagles fans or trolls in hiding................

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And this guy is no witches hat.

Simo has even said he brings something different to our midfield group and improves it.

Duggan v Rowell head to head round 1 :thumbsu:

View attachment 1068912

I actually sometimes wonder if people who post here are Eagles fans or trolls in hiding................

And i sometimes wonder what reality you live in.

If midfield performance is what you're measuring these 2 against each other, Duggan isn't fit to hold Rowell's jock. Only a fanboy would believe otherwise.

Rowell's averages from 4 games: (excluding the game where he popped his shoulder out)

21 disposals, 12 contested, 6.5 tackles, 1.5 goals, 4.5 clearances, 126 ranking points, 251 metres gained, 4.5 score involvements from 77% TOG

Duggan as a midfielder from 4 games: (Since the bulldogs game in round 16)

18 disposals, 5 contested, 2.7 tackles, 0 goals, 1.7 clearances, 94.5 ranking points, 349 metres gained, 2.7 score involvements from 86% TOG

Now do you want to try that again?

Duggan doesn't help at all in the way of clearances or contested possessions, which is what we're desperately crying out for in Yeo's absence.

Especially against a man beast like Rowell. So yes, Ghostbats comment is fairly justified.

If midfield performance is what you're measuring these 2 against each other, Duggan isn't fit to hold Rowell's jock. Only a fanboy would believe otherwise.

Rowell's averages from 4 games: (excluding the game where he popped his shoulder out)

21 disposals, 12 contested, 6.5 tackles, 1.5 goals, 4.5 clearances, 126 ranking points, 251 metres gained, 4.5 score involvements from 77% TOG

18 disposals, 5 contested, 2.7 tackles, 0 goals, 1.7 clearances, 94.5 ranking points, 349 metres gained, 2.7 score involvements from 86% TOG

Duggan doesn't help at all in the way of clearances or contested possessions, which is what we're desperately crying out for in Yeo's absence.

Especially against a man beast like Rowell. So yes, Ghostbats comment is fairly justified.

Really? Like really.......

So from 4 games you have come to this conclusion? Pre major shoulder surgery for Rowell.

Wow.....good for you oh wise one.

How about we all wait and see how it pans out.

The comment was our mids will be witches hats versus Rowell. A 4 game kid who sure has some talent.

Do you think Duggan will be an ineffective witches hat? Yes or no.

And to say Duggan won't help with contested ball and clearances is plain dumb not to mention short sighted. It is a comment you expect from a Freo troll TBH.

Last edited:

Rowell is a supreme midfielder, no ones doubting that. Those numbers from Duggan aren't the worst when you consider he's played in defence for the last 4 seasons. After spending this whole pre season training as a midfielder I have no doubt those numbers for Duggan will improve dramatically.

Judd running around in the forward line whilst crook was at his insistence. He was Captain, contemplating heading home to Melbs and I genuinely think he wanted to give his best before pulling the pin. He would have known the longer term impact on his health at the time.

That’s the way I saw it too and I don’t blame him for leaving ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So from 4 games you have come to this conclusion?

The comment was our mids will be witches hats versus Rowell. A 4 game kid who sure has some talent.

Rowell is a supreme midfielder, no ones doubting that. Those numbers from Duggan aren't the worst when you consider he's played in defence for the last 4 seasons. After spending this whole pre season training as a midfielder I have no doubt those numbers for Duggan will improve dramatically.

Well what do yall want? I'm citing the facts.

Who's likely going to improve more. 2nd year prodigy Matt Rowell getting bigger, stronger and playing more minutes.

Or 7th year pseudo fill in midfielder Liam Duggan?

The stats show there's a already a massive gulf. I'm sure Duggan is going to get better in that position, but Rowell is going to be one of the GOAT mids in the AFL. Even against Yeo, Shuey, Kelly, Redden, Gaff, Naitanui last year he put up :

26 disposals, 12 contested, 7 tackles, 5 clearances, 2 goals, 6 score involvements, 171 ranking points and was BOG by a country mile in his 2nd game of AFL.

So yes, even with Duggan improving in the offseason i'd say there should be some concern. And yes Obeanie1 compared to Rowell he will be.

So from 4 games you have come to this conclusion?

Duggo will hammer that little ranga now that we know what to expect..

Well what do yall want? I'm citing the facts.

Who's likely going to improve more. 2nd year prodigy Matt Rowell getting bigger, stronger and playing more minutes.

Or 7th year pseudo fill in midfielder Liam Duggan?

The stats show there's a already a massive gulf. I'm sure Duggan is going to get better in that position, but Rowell is going to be one of the GOAT mids in the AFL. Even against Yeo, Shuey, Kelly, Redden, Gaff, Naitanui last year he put up :

26 disposals, 12 contested, 7 tackles, 5 clearances, 2 goals, 6 score involvements and 171 ranking points in was BOG by a country mile in his 2nd game of AFL.

So yes, even with Duggan improving in the offseason i'd say there should be some concern.

I don't expect Rowell to light up the field in round 1 having not played since round 5 last year.

He played managed minutes in the praccy and was by al accounts pretty rusty.

People saying that Duggan is a great addition to our midfield appear to be assessing what he brings in isolation rather than considering how he compliments his fellow midfielders.

Right now our midfield looks like Shuey, Kelly, Sheed, Redden, Duggan and Gaff.

That is undersized. But it is the best we have to offer right now.

Duggo will hammer that little ranga now that we know what to expect..

Need to leak something on social media. 'Rowell thinks Duggan is a witches hat in the midfield'

I don't expect Rowell to light up the field in round 1 having not played since round 5 last year.

He played managed minutes in the praccy and was by al accounts pretty rusty.

People saying that Duggan is a great addition to our midfield appear to be assessing what he brings in isolation rather than considering how he compliments his fellow midfielders.

Right now our midfield looks like Shuey, Kelly, Sheed, Redden, Duggan and Gaff.

That is undersized. But it is the best we have to offer right now.

Duggan brings size and a more defensive mindset which very much compliments the other mids. Shuey, Kelly, Gaff and Sheed are more attacking mids. Redden and Yeo are 190cm and bring size and defensive intent.

Duggan is around the 187cm mark and he has beefed up, no longer the skinny kid we drafted. Duggan is a solid unit, recall he went shoulder to shoulder with Fyfe at a contest and Fyfe went flying, was very funny at the time.

Duggan brings size and a more defensive mindset which very much compliments the other mids. Shuey, Kelly, Gaff and Sheed are more attacking mids. Redden and Yeo are 190cm and bring size and defensive intent.

Duggan is around the 187cm mark and he has beefed up, no longer the skinny kid we drafted. Duggan is a solid unit, recall he went shoulder to shoulder with Fyfe at a contest and Fyfe went flying, was very funny at the time.

I think the idea of Duggan being an inside midfielder is going to get put to bed pretty quickly.

We know he's got a strong body and he cracks in when he has to, but it's not how he finds the footy. He runs around collecting uncontested touches and linking up. His clearances, tackling and contested possessions just aren't there IMO.

It was evident on the weekend how much he impacted the game and stoppages compared to Brayshaw and Serong.

But we'll know soon enough in the coming weeks, so can agree to disagree until then :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back