Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ainsworth regularly tops the athletic numbers when he plays. If we are discussing athleticism as the basis for selection he plays 22 games this year.

For the Beagles. :thumbsu:

I like your way of thinking.

Wonderful genes - Richard Michalcyzk was a phenomenal player.
That he was. Unfortunately his career at North Melb cut short by leg injury. V good overhead, pace, was good on both sides of his body, read the play well and could play most positions. Could have been anything!

So how do you reckon we'll go with the man on the mark rule? Maybe we'll finally learn how to play on quickly out of defence?

Personally I think it'll bugger us good and help anyone with a running game.

That he was. Unfortunately his career at North Melb cut short by leg injury. V good overhead, pace, was good on both sides of his body, read the play well and could play most positions. Could have been anything!
Exactly! Was my favorite at the Royals when there. IIRC, ACLs ruined his career.

Write up from the WAFL scratchie.

Brander best on ground, played mid and rested forward, and noticeably bigger the rest of the players. Ah Chee also played well.

West Coast Eagles duo Brendon Ah Chee, Jarrod Brander impress in WAFL practice match against Peel Thunder

West Coast duo Brendon Ah Chee and Jarrod Brander gave the Eagles’ selectors a timely reminder of their round one credentials in the Eagles WAFL side’s practice match against Peel Thunder at Cockburn.

Ah Chee and Brander were noticeable stand-outs as West Coast easily defeated an inaccurate Peel, featuring six Dockers, 8.12 (60) to 6.12 (48).

Brander, who had been utilised on a wing and at half forward last season, went straight into the middle for the first centre bounce alongside Eagles’ WAFL skipper Hamish Brayshaw and draftee Luke Edwards, while also spending time resting forward.

Looking noticeably bigger than many of the rest on the field, the 22-year-old had a quiet start, but came into his own in a dominant second term, with two goals including a great snap deep in the right pocket from a forward 50 stoppage.

Brander could’ve stamped his authority on the game should he have kicked straight in front of goal though, missing three basic chances as the Eagles’ coaching staff watched on from the southern bank.

Ah Chee was dangerous all game, combining well with former Brisbane forward Cedric Cox to trouble the Thunder’s defence, but both his goals game in the first quarter.

The former Port Adelaide forward, who played 16 of a possible 18 games in 2020, also spent time in the midfield where his athleticism and class was a stand-out, particularly at the clearances.

Fremantle midfielder Stefan Giro was Peel’s best, showing great speed and skill on a wing as he continues to work his way back from an ACL injury which ruined his 2020 season.

Giro combined well on a number of occasions with veteran defender Nathan Wilson, who has not lost any of his dash or skill off half-back.

Sam Switkowski also showed positive signs as he works his way back from a serious hamstring injury, running hard as a high half forward and being rewarded with a second-quarter goal.

Wilson controlled the defensive end for Peel alongside Taylin Duman and Leno Thomas, using his penetrating kick to creative offensive threats.

West Coast were too strong for Peel in the midfield, with Edwards’ composure and skill impressing, reminding many of his father, Adelaide great Tyson.

Brayden Ainsworth (one goal) got plenty of the ball, but his foot skills and decision making let him down at crucial times, while Luke Foley and a noticeably bigger Ben Johnson (one goal) controlled the backline.

Johnson provided a highlight for the game with a long-range goal in the second term.

West Coast Eagles premiership defender Will Schofield made his return for Peel Thunder, but was unusually quiet as he split his time between the forward line and as a back-up ruck.

He was a defender when drafted but the general consensus was that he would be a midfielder pretty immediately right? He played as a mid in his first season (and played very well, hence the creation of the famous thread) before his injury and then struggled to find the footy and play as a midfielder ever since that before going back into defence mid-game in 2017(?) after an injury to Nelson(?).
He was a mid at Western Jets, pushed to the flanks in the stronger Vic Metro team.

He averaged 5 clearances and 5 inside 50s a game for the Jets.

Write up from the WAFL scratchie.

Brander best on ground, played mid and rested forward, and noticeably bigger the rest of the players. Ah Chee also played well.

West Coast Eagles duo Brendon Ah Chee, Jarrod Brander impress in WAFL practice match against Peel Thunder

West Coast duo Brendon Ah Chee and Jarrod Brander gave the Eagles’ selectors a timely reminder of their round one credentials in the Eagles WAFL side’s practice match against Peel Thunder at Cockburn.

Ah Chee and Brander were noticeable stand-outs as West Coast easily defeated an inaccurate Peel, featuring six Dockers, 8.12 (60) to 6.12 (48).

Brander, who had been utilised on a wing and at half forward last season, went straight into the middle for the first centre bounce alongside Eagles’ WAFL skipper Hamish Brayshaw and draftee Luke Edwards, while also spending time resting forward.

Looking noticeably bigger than many of the rest on the field, the 22-year-old had a quiet start, but came into his own in a dominant second term, with two goals including a great snap deep in the right pocket from a forward 50 stoppage.

Brander could’ve stamped his authority on the game should he have kicked straight in front of goal though, missing three basic chances as the Eagles’ coaching staff watched on from the southern bank.

Ah Chee was dangerous all game, combining well with former Brisbane forward Cedric Cox to trouble the Thunder’s defence, but both his goals game in the first quarter.

The former Port Adelaide forward, who played 16 of a possible 18 games in 2020, also spent time in the midfield where his athleticism and class was a stand-out, particularly at the clearances.

Fremantle midfielder Stefan Giro was Peel’s best, showing great speed and skill on a wing as he continues to work his way back from an ACL injury which ruined his 2020 season.

Giro combined well on a number of occasions with veteran defender Nathan Wilson, who has not lost any of his dash or skill off half-back.

Sam Switkowski also showed positive signs as he works his way back from a serious hamstring injury, running hard as a high half forward and being rewarded with a second-quarter goal.

Wilson controlled the defensive end for Peel alongside Taylin Duman and Leno Thomas, using his penetrating kick to creative offensive threats.

West Coast were too strong for Peel in the midfield, with Edwards’ composure and skill impressing, reminding many of his father, Adelaide great Tyson.

Brayden Ainsworth (one goal) got plenty of the ball, but his foot skills and decision making let him down at crucial times, while Luke Foley and a noticeably bigger Ben Johnson (one goal) controlled the backline.

Johnson provided a highlight for the game with a long-range goal in the second term.

West Coast Eagles premiership defender Will Schofield made his return for Peel Thunder, but was unusually quiet as he split his time between the forward line and as a back-up ruck.

Edwards could be an absolute steal! Whilst he slipped in his draft position from the start of the year. There’s something about playing against men at a younger age that helps not hinders development

Great that Ledwards is having an impact early, thought he’d be a bit of a long-term project, and that Johnson might be ready to put his hand up earlier than I expected.

Also seems like XON might have gone past Ainsworth in the midfield pecking order, assuming he didn’t play and is in tomorrow’s side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great that Ledwards is having an impact early, thought he’d be a bit of a long-term project, and that Johnson might be ready to put his hand up earlier than I expected.

Also seems like XON might have gone past Ainsworth in the midfield pecking order, assuming he didn’t play and is in tomorrow’s side.

I don't think that we should infer that those in named in the derby are in front for a spot in round 1.

It seems to me that Simmo is trying to spread the praccy games around and give most players on our list a go.

I think Trew and Winder will be named in the team to take on the derby, and I don't think either of them would be named if it was strictly best available.

I don't think that we should infer that those in named in the derby are in front for a spot in round 1.

It seems to me that Simmo is trying to spread the praccy games around and give most players on our list a go.

I think Trew and Winder will be named in the team to take on the derby, and I don't think either of them would be named if it was strictly best available.
Are you sure Trew and winder didnt play the WAFL prac?

Trew was a standout in training previously so maybe he has earned a call up. Winder is a bit of an unknown.

Brander is the only one I am surprised missed the cut. Ainsworth and Ah Chee have been whipping boys for a reason.

The team announcement for tomorrow said several players will wear different jumper numbers instead of their allocated ones. Anyone know what that is about?

The team announcement for tomorrow said several players will wear different jumper numbers instead of their allocated ones. Anyone know what that is about?

Castore still havent delivered on the new jumpers, so newbies/players that changed numbers don't have their jumpers yet...I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back