Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to think this is more the reason for our usual and predictable lacklustre 1st scratchie performance. It would explain why we're much the same each preseason.
Yet the coaches and players say they go into the scratchie to win, and Graham was clearly disappointed suggesting they had some catching up to do before the next 4 qtrs of football.
This says that Eagles also wanted to "put it all together", but failed to do that.
So it's a conundrum, being slow starters each preseason..? You would think if a team was switched on to do well for the coming season, they would be fired up for the scratchie, or you would at least see some signs of what they've been practising... or of what's to come?
Yet come rnd 1 we roll out and play at much the same level as the season before.
(discounting that Freo seem to want to prioritise getting a win over us at any chance available, possibly having that extra motivation of payback for many losses))

"We were beaten in most facets of the game and need to win around the footy..."
Once again it begs the question, why don't we play a great brand of footy in scratchies?
I understand it's only a scratchie and is hardly worth the discussion, but we're the biggest club in the AFL(?), we finish in the top 6-8 most years and yet we always look unimpressive in the preseason. We had our prime movers out and that explains the midfield towelling we got re clearances. So can only presume that we're more interested in trialling different parts of the team/game/plan, while keeping other parts removed, then bringing the lot together come game day? Here's hoping...
If previous preseasons are anything to go by, the next match will be more up to speed!
So it's not a biggie...more a two-pack of head scratchings?

I think alot of it is to do with training loads in the lead up. I recall we had a scratch match over past few years where it game out after we had a very heavy load leading in - mainly to see how the players go when fatigued. Obviously for a normal game training tapers off before the weekend. It could have just been we have been on big training load this week.

Didn’t watch the scratchie but pretty stoked that Rotham is continuing to build. If he becomes a very good player it will really add something to our backline, and will help us reduce our reliance on Hurn.

I hope they don’t hesitate in resting Hurn if he has a drop in form - he could easily become a liability if he isn’t doing well and the coaches are too stubborn/loyal to drop him. Le Cras had the advantage of still threatening for a goal or two even when he was struggling a bit.

I’m disappointed Johnson hasn’t developed as much as I hoped. Need some run and carry from defence.

Didn’t watch the scratchie but pretty stoked that Rotham is continuing to build. If he becomes a very good player it will really add something to our backline, and will help us reduce our reliance on Hurn.

I hope they don’t hesitate in resting Hurn if he has a drop in form - he could easily become a liability if he isn’t doing well and the coaches are too stubborn/loyal to drop him. Le Cras had the advantage of still threatening for a goal or two even when he was struggling a bit.

I’m disappointed Johnson hasn’t developed as much as I hoped. Need some run and carry from defence.

I'd suggest as far as run and carry from defence we're the worst side in the league and it's really ******* worrying.

I wonder if Venables is not allowed to play WAFL if he's on the inactive list. Its hard to see him playing AFL anytime soon but its possible we could see him play WAFL. Gotta say, even WAFL seems a long shot right now, so interesting call. Does that mean we could have the SPP pick in the mid year then?

I wonder if Venables is not allowed to play WAFL if he's on the inactive list. Its hard to see him playing AFL anytime soon but its possible we could see him play WAFL. Gotta say, even WAFL seems a long shot right now, so interesting call. Does that mean we could have the SPP pick in the mid year then?

To my knowledge, if you're on the inactive list, you can't play at any level.

It reads as if they have hopes of him playing this year

To my knowledge, if you're on the inactive list, you can't play at any level.

That's my understanding as well.

Does that mean we could have the SPP pick in the mid year then?

Only if someone is moved onto the inactive list first prior to then.

Sounds like Venables has done enough so far to provide the club with confidence that there may still be a way back for him yet.

Indeed, all the statements in relation to him this year have been in terms of holding him back to ensure the doctors provide clearance before any increase in workload, with him raring to go for further involvement.

The current situation with him being retained effectively gives until June (mid-season rookie draft is 02/06) for Venables to prove whether he is capable of making a comeback.

Conversely, any inactive listing for him this year would certainly be the end of his career.

Rotham is Hurns replacement imo, Witherden isnt as big, tall or as quick as Rotham.

Was reading some trash today about Rotham being Sheppards replacement.....he's 29 ffs. Hurn is what 32?

Was thinking also if we do perservere with a defensive wing / mid why not rotate Nelson and Cole from a back pocket and that wing. Both have nice pace, can stick a tackle and use the ball reasonably well. Rather have a bit of a campaigner in that role than Brander who IMO should be playing CHF as a mobile leading option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our injury list over the last 12 months is becoming a significant concern. They effectively ended our top 4 chances last year.

Our players are becoming injured more frequently, and the timelines for their return consistently blow out.

S&C/Med dept would have KPI's around player availability etc. I can't see them currently meeting any of them at this point.

Our injury list over the last 12 months is becoming a significant concern. They effectively ended our top 4 chances last year.

Our players are becoming injured more frequently, and the timelines for their return consistently blow out.

S&C/Med dept would have KPI's around player availability etc. I can't see them currently meeting any of them at this point.

We were handed our turn at a condensed fixture in August and Sept last season. The last month of the home and away season with players sore and carrying niggles so that flurry of injuries was expected and no surprise. Thanks to the timing of that we limped into finals and flopped.

So you would do what exactly with Cameron? Send a 19 year old in for groin surgery? You do know that groin surgery is the last option as a player can lose 5-10% of their power if surgery is needed. Certainly not the first option.

Shorter preseason relying on players to do the work and then ramping up quickly for games doesn't help.

What KPI's are you referring to? Pre covid KPI's? Lets put up these KPI's so we can compare to actuals and discuss.

Go have a read on the Freo board if you want to discuss high injury frequencies that are way above normal. The purples have been smashed with leg issues due to training on their new super hard surface.

Rather have these niggles now than in September.

So you would do what exactly? Send a 19 year old in for groin surgery? You do know that groin surgery is the last option as a player can lose 5-10% of their power if surgery is needed. Not the first option.

Shorter preseason relying on players to do the work and then ramping up quickly for games doesn't help.

What KPI's are you referring to? Pre covid KPI's? Lets put up these KPI's so we can compare to actuals and discuss.

Go have a read on the Freo board if you want to discuss high injury frequencies that are way above normal. The purples have been smashed with leg issues due to training on their new super hard surface.

Rather have these niggles now than in September.

I am not talking about any particular injury in isolation.

But the number of injuries across the entire squad over the last couple of years, and the number of recurrences/setbacks/aggravations should be concerning to anyone.

We seem to be a significant outlier for number of injuries along with Fremantle and Collingwood.

All sports clubs that are engaged in high performing team sports have KPIs as part of their role. It's to do with player availability, % of injuries that progress in line with prescribed timelines, % of injuries that have recurrences etc.

Those are the markers used to measure the performance of S&C/medical departments in those jobs, and from the outside, our S&C would have to be some of the worst performing in the league.

Great article on SEN.

It talks about the trend that players make big jumps going from third year in the system to their fourth year, and highlights our picks from 2017 draft.

It will be interesting to see how they go this year. I've always thought our next flag will be a result of that draft, and it will go down as an important draft in a clubs flag, similar to 2010.

I am not talking about any particular injury in isolation.

But the number of injuries across the entire squad over the last couple of years, and the number of recurrences/setbacks/aggravations should be concerning to anyone.

We seem to be a significant outlier for number of injuries along with Fremantle and Collingwood.

All sports clubs that are engaged in high performing team sports have KPIs as part of their role. It's to do with player availability, % of injuries that progress in line with prescribed timelines, % of injuries that have recurrences etc.

Those are the markers used to measure the performance of S&C/medical departments in those jobs, and from the outside, our S&C would have to be some of the worst performing in the league.

Sure. But what are they? These KPI's.

Posters have a crack at the Eagles medical team and say "they must be up there with the worst in the comp" but what exactly are they basing this on?

KPI standards no one knows vs actual players time off injured which we don't track accurately ourselves.

So how can anyone form any opinion based on facts we don't have access to?

Are you including concussion / impact injuries?

Or are we talking about soft tissue injuries only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back