Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any reason why they oppose Brander in defence??? I get he has the skills to be FWD but we also need to consider which spots are free for him to fill sort term and long term. At the moment Defence is the spot.

Any reason why they oppose Brander in defence??? I get he has the skills to be FWD but we also need to consider which spots are free for him to fill sort term and long term. At the moment Defence is the spot.

Unless Allen moves to defence freeing up some time in the forward 50 for Brander to play in the Waterman role.

We also will have a dedicated 2nd ruck this year, either Vardy, Williams, or maybe even Edwards.

Forward line is chockers.

The other reason is to add a rotation for when Gov or Barass go off for a spell. means your not having to add players just to cover a rotation.

What I have enjoyed and like about the preseason is that I now feel that our midfield depth is better than it’s been in years.

Acknowledged starters when fit are:

Shuey
Kelly
Sheed
Yeo
Gaff
Redden

Depth:

Duggan
Xon
Trew
Winder
Edwards
Jones
Ainsworth

I also see Ryan having a run through the midfield at times this year.
In addition when Willie returns he also has shown in the past that he is capable of midfield minutes too.

Still need to find ourselves another A grade midfielder in the next few years.

As one who has constantly been calling out our recruiters on the fact that we have not nailed many drafted mids, credit now where credit is due.
Our midfield has improved significantly.

Spine looks set for the next tilt at a Flag.

But we need to draft our selves another genuine ruckman in the next few years for the post NN era to help Williams and continue to improve our midfield stocks.

Our list while ( in a state of some transition ),it is now looking more balanced and better placed moving towards Flag # 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nelson, Cole & potentially langdon too
We would be in deep s**t if we are calling on these blokes to run through the midfield. Ryan and Willie can go through there in bursts as they are exceptionally good at finding the ball and evading opponents. They would have an impact. The 3 you have named dont really have any x factor or strengths that would see them bring much to a CBD. If they were chucked into the guts it would mean that lightning has struck the field and knocked out about 10 of our first choice midfielders.

We would be in deep sh*t if we are calling on these blokes to run through the midfield. Ryan and Willie can go through there in bursts as they are exceptionally good at finding the ball and evading opponents. They would have an impact. The 3 you have named dont really have any x factor or strengths that would see them bring much to a CBD. If they were chucked into the guts it would mean that lightning has struck the field and knocked out about 10 of our first choice midfielders.

Not saying we'd want them to be regularly lining up there - but all have capacity to do so to help out with a rotation if required. Which i think is positive from a depth perspective.

Not saying we'd want them to be regularly lining up there - but all have capacity to do so to help out with a rotation if required. Which i think is positive from a depth perspective.
I guess they could but I wouldn't be naming them as realistic depth. I'd have Shep or Cripps going in there ahead of those 3.

Curious how one scratchie win can evoke so much confidence? - essentially not much has changed for past few months, all those players have been with us. Suddenly we have midfield depth and depth across all lines, yet once again that's always been there during the offseason.

There's been a lot of doom+gloom about our depth and individual players capabilities, opinions that gather momentum and start to drive the expectations in a downward spiral.
Even Dashing Duggan was micro-analysed and almost written off before he had played?
Now with one win, and being able to actually see these newbies play, and play ok, everyone is revved up for the coming season, and fair enough too.

So Witherden, Langdon, Trew, Winder and Edwards have been added as likely players since last season- but I argue we still would've had an improved list on last season even without Witherden and Langdon. I guess it's the old cup half full or empty viewpoint.
But Duggan's abilities were surely never in question? - just look at his past vision!
Besides if you wear a mullet like that you're either a clown or you mean business (same with Snake), and Duggs clearly means business!
I'd be happy with a midfield that has both Duggan and Yeo in it at the same time!

Rotham got 11 kicks and 8 marks (!) in 34% game time

Fair amount of sideways action but he is just so self assured and hits the one on one contests really hard as well. If duggan is playing full midfield and we assume we have witherden playing as a distributor that leaves 2 spots for cole, rotham and nelson. Personally i'd be taking Rotham because he's easily the best defender and interceptor and Nelson because of his attack on the ball and ability further up the ground. Any of the 3 not playing could consider themselves unlucky though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back