Training 2021 Preseason Training

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
But what's going to also happen is that the umpires' interpretation of the rule will be hot and cold over the season and just provide more angst. One of the benefits of a more normal pre season comp was that rules could be trialed but now they just bring them straight into the main season. We are all going to complain about the umpiring but gee the AFL makes it hard for them and this rule change is just stupid. Is there any other game in the world that changes and tinkers with rules as much as AFL?
Agree, then they will bring in another rule to counteract the new one!

We are quickly becoming the most over officiated game in the world. and too many open to interpretation.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
T
Yep. The umpires should not be blamed for being between the rock and the hard place the AFL continually places them in.
True......but you just know that some of them love any opportunity to blow the whistle and exercise some authority.

it is so ******* dumb and poorly thought out - it goes against years of instinctual behavior playing footy. And the punishment is far too severe.
Wonder what tactic we can use to counter instinct?

The best I can come up with is to turn your back on the kicker and get ready to run after him when he goes past you😅

The best I can come up with is to turn your back on the kicker and get ready to run after him when he goes past you😅
not a bad idea actually...

Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Bucks, Pens, M's, Chelsea
I'll be the one to play devils advocate here.

* For one - it's black and white. If you're standing the mark, don't move until you hear play on. If you do - it's 50.
* It's one less factor in the umpire to manage the 5m protected zone/moving off the line action for the player taking the kick so should clean that up
* If you wante dto be super critical of the AFL and their chaning of the rules - the original rule of standing the mark was pertty much the same as they have proposed (I believe) :)
* Risk vs reward. In the B50, keep a player outside the 5m mark zone ready to pounce; but rely on your defensive setup further up the ground for a turn over or send someone to the mark everytime. Just like BBall free throws, you "allow" your chosen player to take the kick/free throw and look for turn overs that way. You choose.

I would like to see it policed by two umpires though. Like cricket - it needs to be a balance against bat and ball as much as possible.

With the trailing, behind the play umpire, he lines up in line with the player with the ball. Any deviation, he can call play on and over rule the main umpire. It would bring some equality to old mate, sitting there twiddling his dick waiting for someone to say he can be back in the game again.

I was thinking about this one too. Maybe the player on the mark sets up like an 800m race on the start line, than in the traditional flat footed, facing the kicker, arm sin the air stance.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
The umpires are supposed to be red hot on the play on call as well. Parish took steps to his right the same time Langford stepped to his left. So the umpire was too busy watching Langford to see if he moved, missed Parish moving slightly off his line which should be 'play on' and Langford should've been free to move off the mark as well. Theres supposed to be 1m leeway in this as well. Gonna be some shocking 50's given away this year, and plenty missed as well.

The umpires are supposed to be red hot on the play on call as well. Parish took steps to his right the same time Langford stepped to his left. So the umpire was too busy watching Langford to see if he moved, missed Parish moving slightly off his line which should be 'play on' and Langford should've been free to move off the mark as well. Theres supposed to be 1m leeway in this as well. Gonna be some shocking 50's given away this year, and plenty missed as well.
Says who?

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Says who?
This was from a fox footy article.

Footy pundits and fans have been given their first look at the controversial new ‘stand’ rule in action at AFL level – and they’ve raised some early concerns.

On Tuesday afternoon, a video surfaced on social media from Essendon’s match simulation held on the weekend, in which the rule was correctly applied by the umpire.

The rule sees umpires telling players manning the mark to “stand”, after which they cannot move from their position or be replaced by a teammate, with a 50-metre penalty given for infringements. When the rule was originally announced a one-metre “level of tolerance” was to be applied.

This was from a fox footy article.

Footy pundits and fans have been given their first look at the controversial new ‘stand’ rule in action at AFL level – and they’ve raised some early concerns.

On Tuesday afternoon, a video surfaced on social media from Essendon’s match simulation held on the weekend, in which the rule was correctly applied by the umpire.

The rule sees umpires telling players manning the mark to “stand”, after which they cannot move from their position or be replaced by a teammate, with a 50-metre penalty given for infringements. When the rule was originally announced a one-metre “level of tolerance” was to be applied.
Was.

It's not now.

Either way, without the 1m leeway, its still going to cause problems. They need to be red hot on the play on call if they're going to be red hot on the man on the mark not moving.
I wonder if it is actually easier without any leeway. In this instance, you are forced to keep your feet still, and if you do then there is no penalty.

If there is 1m leeway then maybe you are moving side to side 800mm(fine), maybe you are moving 1200mm (50m penalty). If your feet are planted on the spot there is no interpretation required.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I wonder if it is actually easier without any leeway. In this instance, you are forced to keep your feet still, and if you do then there is no penalty.

If there is 1m leeway then maybe you are moving side to side 800mm(fine), maybe you are moving 1200mm (50m penalty). If your feet are planted on the spot there is no interpretation required.
You're right it should be easy enough to not move off the mark until you hear play on, or if its too loud, to see the umpire raise his arms up to signal play on. If the idea behind the new rule is to open up play and keep it moving then the umpires should be concentrating more on whos got the ball and calling play on once they move off the line rather than trying to ping someone for a 50m penalty.

Cup_o_Jobe

All Australian
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
It's a pipe dream, but I'd love for the league to just give up on all of these "speed up/more scoring" rule tweaks and let people just play the natural game. If nothing else, it makes it bloody hard to explain the game to newcomers. Try explaining (without sounding like a crazy person) why a tackled player needs to pantomime knocking the ball out (but doesn't actually need to knock the ball out) to avoid getting penalized in a tackle.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
It's a pipe dream, but I'd love for the league to just give up on all of these "speed up/more scoring" rule tweaks and let people just play the natural game. If nothing else, it makes it bloody hard to explain the game to newcomers. Try explaining (without sounding like a crazy person) why a tackled player needs to pantomime knocking the ball out (but doesn't actually need to knock the ball out) to avoid getting penalized in a tackle.
Agree. I wish they'd just stop mucking with the rules every year.
They continue to view the game as a product that needs 'improving' as they quest to increase their market share. They believe they can get away with it because they understand supporter loyalty, and they will get away with it. It is increasingly annoying though.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

I do wonder what international viewers think of players on the ground doing the salmon impression

I don't hate the new rule, it's simple for the umpires to interpret and it seems quite effective in opening the game up. It's also simple for the players and very much within their control, unlike the myriad of dumb rules about hands in the back, holding, prior opportunity and so on that are either open to interpretation or able to be milked by the opposition.

There's going to be a million dumb 50s in the first few rounds as players forget in the pressure of a proper AFL game but once it becomes instinctive I don't think it will be very noticeable.

Back