Training 2021 Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect Laverde would do well defensively and in the air as a defender but I'd worry about his disposal against modern AFL zones.

I am feeling a bit optimistic about our chances this season after these latest training reports though. Our injuries seem to be minimal right now and its hard not to be pleased about a healthy list.

I suspect Laverde would do well defensively and in the air as a defender but I'd worry about his disposal against modern AFL zones.

I am feeling a bit optimistic about our chances this season after these latest training reports though. Our injuries seem to be minimal right now and its hard not to be pleased about a healthy list.
This might sound odd but he's not smart enough to be a defender.

Intercept making would be good but the proactive and 1v1 defending, I can't see that at all.

Jeez... Bryan, Jones,Zerk,Eyre,Cox, Reid, Draper and Brand. Have we ever had so many young bigs on our list before? And that’s not including Francis and Ridley.

Now that we’re focused on KPPs our midfield will return to the likes of Dyson, Lonergan, Hocking and Myers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not going to die on this hill, I'll tag eDPS instead.

From memory it's a similarish story to Jobe with a different timeline (Jobe went through the experimentation in the AFL system). I think Misiti is supposed to be a mid but that a lack of fitness and KPP size saw him used at CHF. From what I understand he hasn't worked out as a KPP and now in his 18th year, and looking very fit, we can expect to see him play in the middle. That's assuming, of course, he is good enough.

sh*t, if he has his old man's feel for the game in that rig, we're essentially getting Jobe back.

Maybe it was the angle but he looks bigger than Hurley when they were near each other!

No.

Ambrose is clearly smart enough to be a lockdown defender, and has the mental application to stick to a man. Which is what I think Bruno was getting at.
Being a lock down is the simplest role you could be given, Ambrose has also struggled on the smarter forwards aswell.

Ambrose is not a smarter footballer than Laverde but I wouldn’t say it’s by much.

Being a lock down is the simplest role you could be given, Ambrose has also struggled on the smarter forwards aswell.

Ambrose is not a smarter footballer than Laverde but I wouldn’t say it’s by much.

They're different things, which is what I took Bruno's point as.

Forwards tend to be more creative in their play, sometimes that translates well to being a good intercept defender, but it's a different mental process than actually defending.

Ambrose didn't really display the creativity of a forward, despite having all the physical tools. But does show the application to be a good defender.

Laverde is creative, but I wouldn't expect him to have the ability to lock-down on another player.

Toby Greene is a good example; great forward nous, would be a good loose player down back, but would be horrible at an accountable role.

They're different things, which is what I took Bruno's point as.

Forwards tend to be more creative in their play, sometimes that translates well to being a good intercept defender, but it's a different mental process than actually defending.

Ambrose didn't really display the creativity of a forward, despite having all the physical tools. But does show the application to be a good defender.

Laverde is creative, but I wouldn't expect him to have the ability to lock-down on another player.

Toby Greene is a good example; great forward nous, would be a good loose player down back, but would be horrible at an accountable role.
Yeah I don’t expect Lav to be a good shut down type but maybe he could if given a chance at it. It’s an odd option to have him back but I guess with Stewart back and Hurley forward we are certainly trying a few things to see what we can get out of them.

Yeah I don’t expect Lav to be a good shut down type but maybe he could if given a chance at it. It’s an odd option to have him back but I guess with Stewart back and Hurley forward we are certainly trying a few things to see what we can get out of them.

We do seem to be experimenting with positions, having some creative and aggressive ball users down back would make sense with no Saad & McKenna combo to run it out any more

not sure about the bolded - Francis is supposedly an elite talent but he hasn't been able to master this

I think people assume because it's less creative, that it's easy. They're a different kind of mental requirement, being able to stay focused on a man for 2 - 3 hours is hard work.

I think people assume because it's less creative, that it's easy. They're a different kind of mental requirement, being able to stay focused on a man for 2 - 3 hours is hard work.

Agreed. Particularly because when it comes to AFL level small/creative forwards you're talking about the 40 quickest and most elusive footballers in the country - and they only need 2 or 3 touches a quarter to kick 4 goals. You're gonna pay for any tiny lapse.

If you have the tank it would actually be much easier to tag a gun midfielder. As long as you maintain pressure you get to make more mistakes because he's still expected to get 20 disposals on a bad day.

Agreed. Particularly because when it comes to AFL level small/creative forwards you're talking about the 40 quickest and most elusive footballers in the country - and they only need 2 or 3 touches a quarter to kick 4 goals. You're gonna pay for any tiny lapse.

If you have the tank it would actually be much easier to tag a gun midfielder. As long as you maintain pressure you get to make more mistakes because he's still expected to get 20 disposals on a bad day.

Wouldn’t they need 4 touches to kick 4 goals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back