Review 2021 R1, Port beats North

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting game from my buddy

With Amon spending more time on the ball, has Duursma's wing role changed at all? If we're asking him to play more of that accountable skinny-side role, it might take him a little while to adjust; more defensive accountability and less space or opportunity to burst away from the open side of stoppage. Absolutely back him in to do it, even if it doesn't come immediately.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was a little concussed. Was definitely targetted early and IIRC did hit the ground hard on at least one occasion. Grandson was stoked to see the bow and arrow though. Just continuing the tradition of warriors in our #7.

A few others have noted the same

With a 6 day turnaround, might be a surprise "general soreness" omission this week

Ha ha Marshall
Interesting game from my buddy Xavier

Body language wasn't good

Looked really flat and at times appeared even disinterested

Even the goal celebration late was lack lustre

Hopefully it's just a one off
He became visibly deflated after giving away two frees. Having played with guys who focus on their mistakes and perceived wrong calls by umpires his demeanour was identical. He is clearly a guy who needs to have a good couple of touches early to boost his confidence.

Doesnt matter how many rule changes the AFL make, Matthew Nicholls will continue to get them mostly wrong. Fighting hard for top spot of the useless campaigner umpire ladder.

David Noble has a lot of work to do, while Ken Hinkley just needs to work out how to beat those pesky Tigers.

We can beat the Tigers. We just need the siren to go when we're in front. It's close.

Thanks to Garibaldi Red for the digital edition of the Champion Data tables in the Tsier.

It says the green is 30%+ above 2017/18 averages but that hasn't been updated and is 2019/2020 averages.

We had 60 x I50, for 35 shots on goal, of which 32 scored 17.15.

Our Xscore was 118 vs Actual 117 which is good. North were 84 vs 65 which was good for us.

Pressure stats shows North applying more pressure in the last quarter which fits with my description in earlier in the thread that our last quarter was lackluster. Houston and Aliir were 30% down on their pressure act average, I reckon Aliir had a lackluster last quarter and wouldn't be surprised if his pts for that quarter were poor. Rockliff was 30%+ down because he was sub.

I said our first quarter was poor, mainly because we used the ball poorly and missed a lot of tackles in stoppages. Our pressure stats were greater than North's in the first quarter.

I've thought that Duursma is down on form compared to last year in the trail games and yesterday and his super coach pts are 30%+ down on his 2019/20 average.

We had 17 Marks I50 kicked 7.6, 2 did not make the distance (DNMD) and 2 were passes that ended in goals

Marshall 4 scored 2.1 and 1 DNMD
Dixon... 3 scored 1.2
Fantasia 3 scored 1.1 + a pass to Duursma
Ladhams 2 scored 0.1 + 1 DNMD
Butters.. 2 scored 1.1
Gray..... 1 scored 0.0 pass 15m bounce pass to Boak who runs in and kicks goal from 11m out.
Lycett... 1 scored 1.0
Duursma 1 scored 1.0

North took 8 marks and scored 4.2 and 2 didn't score.

Frees I50, our2 we kicked 1.1, Boak goal, Rockcliff point. North had 3 for 1.0, one DNMD and one OOTF

1616383963092.png

1616384513925.png

Last edited:
Covid season with shortened quarters? 1 year where we managed consistency out of the last 6?

We've been inconsistent and underperformed for most of Hinkley's time with the club, and often have struggled to consolidate a big win.

I'm expecting us to smash the Dons next week, but the onus is still on us to prove it. If we're putting our hands up as a flag contender then we need to deliver - that's all they are saying. We shouldn't be scared of the question if we're confident in our answer.
For godsake this narrative shits me. 2015-2018 are irrelevant to the group we have now. There was no Butters, Rozee, Duursma, Aliir, Fantasia plus countless others weren't ready or have become what they are now in a side that's actually capable of playing the way the coaching staff wants them to.

The 2015-2018 side was average, the results say so, and what got done at the end of 2018 to get the talent in and replace a few other was done for that exact reason. We caught lightning in a bottle in 2013/14 and came up short ultimately unlike the Dogs in 2016 who nicked a flag, but at its core from the mid way point of 2014 was a 50/50 side at best. The results from 2015-2018 show it & prove it, as much as Ken shoulders some blame, the list wasn't good enough, that's facts.

2019 we changed tact and added the big 3 in the draft and traded some under performers, just missed the 8 due to one woeful performance against North Melbourne when we'd all probably agree we weren't sure if we'd make the 8 in 2019. Last year the group developed quicker then expected and there's a reason nearly every footy expert in the country has us as a contender based on last year, and what we've shown against Adelaide and North, who are albeit average sides at best, but it's the bigger picture you can see if look past the pessimism.

People should enjoy the ride this year, and approach it for what it is, a chance to contend again for a premiership, rather then worry about what happened from a time period that's irrelevant to the current side in it's current form.

Was kinda surprised to see Gray playing so many midfield minutes in Round 1
We were in trouble a bit at quarter time, lost contested possessions and basically broke even in clearances, 9 v 10 and we play him in the middle from start of 2nd quarter and he got 5 clearances. That's not unusual, we always throw him in there to change things. I saw him in there a bit in the 3rd quarter but don't remember seeing him in there during the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPP and Rozee (and Rocky if he makes the 22) should help out with that in the coming weeks.

To be honest, I'm all for it. Fantasia, Butters, Rozee and Motlop are an embarrassment of small forward riches, Robbie's talents are probably best used in the midfield these days.

PORT ADELAIDE gained more than four AFL premiership points - and healthy percentage to command top spot - from its season-opening win against North Melbourne. Just as valuable is the belief the players can change the flow of the game when it does not go the "Port Adelaide way".

Port Adelaide midfield coach Jarrad Schofield on Monday praised the players' ability to "respond and adapt" after being jumped by North Melbourne in the first term of the Round 1 clash at the Docklands on Sunday.

North Melbourne achieved just a two-point lead at quarter-time after bombarding the Port Adelaide defence with 20 inside-50 entries, basically built on superiority at the contests and with contested ball.

"You have to give credit to North Melbourne," Schofield said at Alberton on Monday. "They matched us around the footy; take nothing away from North Melbourne - a young side that came to play. We were fortunate they did not make us pay on the scoreboard.

To be honest, I'm all for it. Fantasia, Butters, Rozee and Motlop are an embarrassment of small forward riches, Robbie's talents are probably best used in the midfield these days.
Poor Robbie, top 5 Power player and he's a fifth wheel LOL

I like our 2021 first world problems.

Oh don't get me wrong - I believe Robbie is our best clearance player still. Was more trying to point out that it's great that he can still going in there.

We were in trouble a bit at quarter time, lost contested possessions and basically broke even in clearances, 9 v 10 and we play him in the middle from start of 2nd quarter and he got 5 clearances. That's not unusual, we always throw him in there to change things. I saw him in there a bit in the 3rd quarter but don't remember seeing him in there during the last quarter.

It's actually really nice to be able to have Robbie in the midfield and not have zero goal kicking small forwards as a result thanks to the addition of Fantasia.

They need to try and build next round up, but we know rounds 3 and 4 are the one's that will tell us, whether we're in the Hinkley zone of 10-12, beating up sh*t sides and going down to contenders, or whether we're the real deal. We need to win at least one of the West Coast and Richmond games to show we won't be making up numbers at the end of the year. If we lose both, then I have no faith we're going to make any impact in September.
Only thing I don’t like about the Richmond game is playing them after the Perth trip.
Still think we can do them as I think we are a better side this year.

Coaches Votes

10 Travis Boak (PORT)
8 Orazio Fantasia (PORT)
4 Dan Houston (PORT)
4 Jaidyn Stephenson (NMFC)
3 Ollie Wines (PORT)
1 Steven Motlop (PORT)

For godsake this narrative shits me. 2015-2018 are irrelevant to the group we have now. There was no Butters, Rozee, Duursma, Aliir, Fantasia plus countless others weren't ready or have become what they are now in a side that's actually capable of playing the way the coaching staff wants them to.

The 2015-2018 side was average, the results say so, and what got done at the end of 2018 to get the talent in and replace a few other was done for that exact reason. We caught lightning in a bottle in 2013/14 and came up short ultimately unlike the Dogs in 2016 who nicked a flag, but at its core from the mid way point of 2014 was a 50/50 side at best. The results from 2015-2018 show it & prove it, as much as Ken shoulders some blame, the list wasn't good enough, that's facts.

2019 we changed tact and added the big 3 in the draft and traded some under performers, just missed the 8 due to one woeful performance against North Melbourne when we'd all probably agree we weren't sure if we'd make the 8 in 2019. Last year the group developed quicker then expected and there's a reason nearly every footy expert in the country has us as a contender based on last year, and what we've shown against Adelaide and North, who are albeit average sides at best, but it's the bigger picture you can see if look past the pessimism.

People should enjoy the ride this year, and approach it for what it is, a chance to contend again for a premiership, rather then worry about what happened from a time period that's irrelevant to the current side in it's current form.

That loss against Norf in 2019 is exactly what Im talking about.

Really not sure why people are hating so much on a question. Its a question that has every right to be asked. We get the opportunity to answer it next week. Im absolutely looking forward to that.

That loss against Norf in 2019 is exactly what Im talking about.

Really not sure why people are hating so much on a question. Its a question that has every right to be asked. We get the opportunity to answer it next week. Im absolutely looking forward to that.
Because the question got answered last season, on countless occasions. Hence the optimism and excitement leading into this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back