2021 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps but my point was more that just because Campbell may be the more fancied of the pair, doesn't mean he will be the most ready to go come round 1.

There are some kids who are ready to go in their preferred positions pretty much from day one, and others who aren't as developed physically and their way into the team is in a different role. I can see a very likely scenario where Gulden and Campbell will be competing for a small HHF role, and Gulden's tank and experience in that role will win out.

Either way, the winners here are the club and the fans, as I think all year we will see cases like this of youngsters competing and pushing each other for spots, and that can only be a good thing.

Eg. McDonald & McLean in that third tall role; McCartin, Melican & Gould in the key back roles; Wicks & Ronke in that small forward role; Blakey, McInerney & Stephens in outside roles; Florent, Rowbottom & Warner in inside roles.

Can't wait!
I actually agree with you. Gulden, despite his size, has often overshadowed Campbell in junior games. Just because he was 27 picks lower in the draft doesn't mean he will be second to debut. I still think they are vastly different players. I can't wait either!!

What I think Longmire will do:
B - Rampe, Brand, Mills
HB - Lloyd, McCartin, Dawson
C - Stephens, Kennedy, Cunningham
HF - Heeney, Franklin, Hayward
F - Papley, Reid, Blakey
Foll - Hickey, Parker, Rowbottom
I/C - Hewett, McInerney, Fox, Florent

What I think the 22 should be noting Franklin will probably miss due to injury again:
B - Rampe, Brand, Ling
C - Stephens, Parker, Blakey
HF - Campbell, Reid, Kennedy
F - Papley, Mclean, Gulden
Foll - Hickey, Heeney, Mills
I/C - McInerney, Rowbottom, Mcdonald, Warner

before he did his knee, he was developing as a KPD really well. the second half of 2020 he was in excellent form. He will play ahead of Brand (not knocking Brand) every game he's fit
I agree. But I also think he plays better when he is the second banana. I don't think it was a coincidence that he looked much better with McCartin playing first banana.

B - Rampe, Brand, Mills
F - Papley, Reid, Blakey

What I think the 22 should be noting Franklin will probably miss due to injury again:
B - Rampe, Brand, Ling
Cunningham ran 5th in the Skilton as a back pocket. Guessing he makes the team.
Preseason training will be critical as there are a lot of close calls.

before he did his knee, he was developing as a KPD really well. the second half of 2020 he was in excellent form. He will play ahead of Brand (not knocking Brand) every game he's fit
I think they are different animals. Brand is a tall big body with long reach to put up against the likes of Hawkins, Kennedy or Lynch. He might not make it, in which case I would play Melican with Rampe in the last line.
Melican is better suited to the third tall or as a double team player. He's not great on the lead and gives away a fair few frees. I think there's a fair chance Gould will overtake him.

Agree, had a great end to 2020. Actually one of the real positives in the back end. They always say it takes 18-24 months to REALLY get back from a knee.

B - Rampe, Brand, Mills
F - Papley, Reid, Blakey

B - Rampe, Brand, Ling
Only 6 different players to Horse's team. You picked quite a few young and untried players. I think you are warming to Horse as our future coach. You may have selected our 2022 team.

At his best Melican is just adequate. He gets caught on the lead, ball watches, gets outbodied and lacks nous. He is a safe mark and possesses reasonable skills by foot. For me he is a depth player.
I disagree. He needs to have the Rampes , McCartins around him though to direct him and he plays very well in the unit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positions as to where the common players are named is important too.
I think in the modern game this is largely irrelevant. Players seem to move all over the ground or get shifted mid game. Or switch positions. Or rest forward etc. I just think you want to see the youth rewarded with game time. Nothing wrong with that.

Nick Reiwoldt claimed moving to a wing extended his footy career. Lots of running but it was more constant with fewer damaging high accelaration sprints or high impact aerial contests. Buddy would be very effective in such a role if he's fit enough. He's close to the peak age for stamina/endurance.

Certainly helped Matt Richardson late in his career too. Honestly think this is what we have planned for Buddy

Oh well. I hope you are right.
I think Melican was very good from the half way mark of the season. Remember he did had an interrupted start to 2019 and had a horror season. He was much better in 2020. I think you are also forgetting something, sometimes what we consider ball watching is just a very good block by an opposition teammate of the forward. It doesn't have to be substantial just moving into the path of the backman.

Lewie did very well in the latter games and was one of our best after the bye. He was super in the Melbourne game.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think in the modern game this is largely irrelevant. Players seem to move all over the ground or get shifted mid game. Or switch positions. Or rest forward etc. I just think you want to see the youth rewarded with game time. Nothing wrong with that.
There are certain constants that have to be maintained, like key forwards and backs. The teams without more than one key forward or had untried forwards struggled. See Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Norf, Essendon.

Even Richmond, after one year with just Jack, realised it is a better side with Tom Lynch. Port had two keys and at times, 3. Cats also had at least 2. If you look at the top sides they all have very healthy spines. That is the key to winning premierships.

I think Melican was very good from the half way mark of the season. Remember he did had an interrupted start to 2019 and had a horror season. He was much better in 2020. I think you are also forgetting something, sometimes what we consider ball watching is just a very good block by an opposition teammate of the forward. It doesn't have to be substantial just moving into the path of the backman.

Lewie did very well in the latter games and was one of our best after the bye. He was super in the Melbourne game.

As I said above I hope you and the other Melican optimists are right and I am proved incorrect.

There are certain constants that have to be maintained, like key forwards and backs. The teams without more than one key forward or had untried forwards struggled. See Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Norf, Essendon.

Even Richmond, after one year with just Jack, realised it is a better side with Tom Lynch. Port had two keys and at times, 3. Cats also had at least 2. If you look at the top sides they all have very healthy spines. That is the key to winning premierships.

Yes. But the spines do not move too much. Its all the other players. Mids going forward, HB up on wings and in the forward line, HF at HB etc.

Having two good key forwards as a pre-requisite for a premiership is a completely different story. Yes it would be nice if we could get another Mac up forward in the future. Our list is not complete. We are probably a gun KPF and KPD and a young RUCK short of a decent spine. Mids are developing but we may need to trade in a gun or two at a certain time to push for a premiership. I do not think that is in the next two years though. We are not pushing for a premiership yest. When we do we will. I think the draft has legs yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back