2021 Rd 1 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

SGBeach

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Important to keep our expectations of these kids realistic.
If the three of them each get 5-10 games this year, then great. - about right for 1st year players
Also wanting / hoping Warner, Gould, Ling get 10ish games too.
Would like to see what Armatey has to offer at senior level..
and.. I reckon Sheather is a smokey for a few games this year?? ! ?

BloodySwan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Based off of that match Gulden looks about a lock

B: Lloyd, Melican, Mills
HB: Fox, McCartin, Rampe
C: Dawson, Hewett, McInerney
HF: Hayward, Reid/Sinclair, Gulden
F: Papley, Buddy, Heeney
R: Hickey, Kennedy, Parker
INT: Cunningham, Blakey, Rowbottom, Florent

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
So the big question after the all mighty, all important scratch match... who is winning a Brownlow this year, and whose career are we sticking a fork in?

TheMase

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
So the big question after the all mighty, all important scratch match... who is winning a Brownlow this year, and whose career are we sticking a fork in?
Haha well for the fork I will throw to Hayward given he has a lot to prove but didn’t really stand out at all today.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Assume this was directed at me.
Hayward isn’t a kid anymore and he needs to start to step up or others will push him out of the team.
Gulden played a similar role and though different players (see: about 10cm!) I thought Gulden showed promising decision-making signs, and that has always been my biggest knock on Hayward. He just does the wrong thing too often (Him getting run-down 30m out from goal against Geelong last year still haunts me.)

It's only a scratch match, and I take individual performances in these things with a grain of salt, hence my above jibe a few posts up. But eventually performances stack up and I think Hayward is one who needed to use this opportunity to reaffirm his hold on that HHF role, and I don't think he did.

TheMase

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Gulden played a similar role and though different players (see: about 10cm!) I thought Gulden showed promising decision-making signs, and that has always been my biggest knock on Hayward. He just does the wrong thing too often (Him getting run-down 30m out from goal against Geelong last year still haunts me.)

It's only a scratch match, and I take individual performances in these things with a grain of salt, hence my above jibe a few posts up. But eventually performances stack up and I think Hayward is one who needed to use this opportunity to reaffirm his hold on that HHF role, and I don't think he did.
Yeah I hear you. I was mucking around because you wouldn’t have expected a reply from me. I don’t genuinely think he has a fork in him, but he needs to step up as there are other players emerging in different areas of the ground along with competition for his current position that he needs to deliver.

What I mean by that is we could have someone emerge in defence (Campbell and Ling for example) which allows Dawson to go forward to replace Hayward.

Draftables

Rookie
Nov 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Have a new series going on our website in preparation of the 2021 season. Running through all the club's lists and best 22s and Sydney has just dropped. Always feel like a supporters' judgement is one of the best going around so give us a follow, check it out and let us know your thoughts!

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Have a new series going on our website in preparation of the 2021 season. Running through all the club's lists and best 22s and Sydney has just dropped. Always feel like a supporters' judgement is one of the best going around so give us a follow, check it out and let us know your thoughts!

I can definitely see Sinclair playing in place of Buddy or Reid in the likely event one of them is injured but I can't see us playing Sinclair, Reid, Franklin and Hickey all at once as that is a bit top heavy.

Also really hard to tell right now but there is a good chance one of Gulden or Campbell will break into the team pretty quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad