2021 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre injury George Hewett would get a game with Richmond comfortably. It remains to be seen how he comes back. But he’s an excellent, and versatile young midfielder.

I would love to see Rampe v Daniher once again, they always have such a close contest. The way Rampe defends just about mitigates the height difference. Plus this will free McCartin to intercept more freely and not have to stick to Daniher. I also expect Hipwood to have a quiet one regardless of who takes him, don't really know why he is hyped up so much.

I am not completely surprised by the Hewett talk. I suggested he was expendable last trade period (before his name came up I think) but I realise I am the minority. I like Hewett, I just said I thought he might get pushed aside by others coming through and that we can only have so many one paced mids. And that was before it was revealed Mills would go to the middle.

Is he in our best 22 current players? Yes for sure.

Best 22 however is a little more complicated as he should be picked for the role that suits him, which appears to have gone to Mills. Rowbottom is lurking, Florent should be improving, Kennedy still playing and Parker splitting his time, then you have Blakey, McInerney, Stephens, Campbell, Gulden etc who all add impact with their pace and ball use.

It becomes about where he ranks in terms of our inside midfielders and in particular the group of one paced midfielders he joins (Kennedy, Parker and now Mills).

I am not completely surprised by the Hewett talk. I suggested he was expendable last trade period (before his name came up I think) but I realise I am the minority. I like Hewett, I just said I thought he might get pushed aside by others coming through and that we can only have so many one paced mids. And that was before it was revealed Mills would go to the middle.

Is he in our best 22 current players? Yes for sure.

Best 22 however is a little more complicated as he should be picked for the role that suits him, which appears to have gone to Mills. Rowbottom is lurking, Florent should be improving, Kennedy still playing and Parker splitting his time, then you have Blakey, McInerney, Stephens, Campbell, Gulden etc who all add impact with their pace and ball use.

It becomes about where he ranks in terms of our inside midfielders and in particular the group of one paced midfielders he joins (Kennedy, Parker and now Mills).

I think it depends on how we view Hewett.

If you look at it from a 2021 perspective, he is in the unfortunate and awkward spot where he is in between the big-name, high-output mids (JPK, Parker, Mills) and the exciting, developing young mids (Rowbottom, Florent, Blakey, Stephens etc.) So understandably he doesn’t seem like much of a priority.

If you look at it from a 2024 and onwards perspective, when we hope and expect to be in the premiership window, we have to ask who will be in our midfield, and be able to answer with confidence how good they’ll be. By then, JPK will be retired; Parker could very realistically be playing forward as a 31/32 year old; Mills could very realistically be back in defence; and those kids might not get there (I think they are all very promising but we’ve seen no evidence from any of them that they can put together the kind of performances Hewett can at his peak, so until they do it’s literally banking on their promise.) That suddenly makes the 28 year old Hewett the safest bet in terms of being a quality, consistent midfielder.

So I think we need to be very careful not to let our enamourment with both our star mids and the young mids blind us from the very real possibility that Hewett could end up having more of a say in our future than any of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it depends on how we view Hewett.

If you look at it from a 2021 perspective, he is in the unfortunate and awkward spot where he is in between the big-name, high-output mids (JPK, Parker, Mills) and the exciting, developing young mids (Rowbottom, Florent, Blakey, Stephens etc.) So understandably he doesn’t seem like much of a priority.

If you look at it from a 2024 and onwards perspective, when we hope and expect to be in the premiership window, we have to ask who will be in our midfield, and be able to answer with confidence how good they’ll be. By then, JPK will be retired; Parker could very realistically be playing forward as a 31/32 year old; Mills could very realistically be back in defence; and those kids might not get there (I think they are all very promising but we’ve seen no evidence from any of them that they can put together the kind of performances Hewett can at his peak, so until they do it’s literally banking on their promise.) That suddenly makes the 28 year old Hewett the safest bet in terms of being a quality, consistent midfielder.

So I think we need to be very careful not to let our enamourment with both our star mids and the young mids blind us from the very real possibility that Hewett could end up having more of a say in our future than any of them.
That’s a reasonable perspective.

However whilst a good solid team player Hewett is a run of the mill inside mid, at least he has been up until this point and he hasn’t shown any signs of being more than that consistently at this stage.

So I think a player of his calibre is replaceable by trade without too much trouble, particularly in the age of free agents. Also given 2024 is 3 years away, we are going to have to take calculated gambles on these kids anyway and I have to say I am fairly confident in them. We will also be in a position to trade players in and target free agents between now and then.

Right now, if the lineup stayed the same I’d move Mills back to defence and Hewett back to the middle.

I’m not overvaluing him. He was 2nd B&F in 2019. Our highest rated midfielder that season.
He doesn't do all the flashy stuff so he doesn't get noticed as much but he's a real warrior for us. I always saw him as the replacement for JPK when he goes. He's no JPK but he's a really good in and under player. If you took him away from having to tag and focused on hunting the ball he could be anything.

He doesn't do all the flashy stuff so he doesn't get noticed as much but he's a real warrior for us. I always saw him as the replacement for JPK when he goes. He's no JPK but he's a really good in and under player. If you took him away from having to tag and focused on hunting the ball he could be anything.
Hewett should stand shoulder to shoulder with the opposition best midfielder and look to stop him play and win his own ball like he did previously.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Yeah for sure. However I think the new rule changes will impact the amount of instances where george will be able to do that.
I've noticed in every game this pre-season how the decline of the number of stoppages near the boundary has impacted how teams move the ball.
George's forte was the boundary line stoppage more than any other situation.

Yeah for sure. However I think the new rule changes will impact the amount of instances where george will be able to do that.
I've noticed in every game this pre-season how the decline of the number of stoppages near the boundary has impacted how teams move the ball.
George's forte was the boundary line stoppage more than any other situation.
Fair point. We've also transitioned from a team that tries to force stoppages and moved to a run and gun type approach. We've brought in players with speed and foot skills as a priority but you need some balance. You still need good inside mids and I'm looking at Hewett, Rowbottom and Warner for that.

Fair point. We've also transitioned from a team that tries to force stoppages and moved to a run and gun type approach. We've brought in players with speed and foot skills as a priority but you need some balance. You still need good inside mids and I'm looking at Hewett, Rowbottom and Warner for that.
Much the same reason I don't want Lloyd kicking out of defense.
His kicks have the trajectory of pie floaters.
Usually towards the boundary line.
There was a piece of play of play on Sunday when Campbell got the duty.
He ran 15 metres or so.. Then wapped a 70m kick that travelled at a speed just below that of a Shinkansen.
Logan Mac made the contest and away we go.

Much the same reason I don't want Lloyd kicking out of defense.
His kicks have the trajectory of pie floaters.
Usually towards the boundary line.
There was a piece of play of play on Sunday when Campbell got the duty.
He ran 15 metres or so.. Then wapped a 70m kick that travelled at a speed just below that of a Shinkansen.
Logan Mac made the contest and away we go.

That is the way of the future in terms of what the AFL is trying to encourage kick-ins to become - was a fantastic little glimpse of the future.

That is the way of the future in terms of what the AFL is trying to encourage kick-ins to become - was a fantastic little glimpse of the future.

Isn't Gould meant to have, in the words of Bruce, a long leg on him?
And does anyone know what is the story with him? Hasn't developed (hard last year with no NEAFL I know)? Injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back