Lakers, West Ham
Lloyd Melican Rampe

Mills McCartin Dawson

Parker Florent Rowbottom

Wicks Heeney Hayward

Reid McDonald Papley

Hickey JPK Heeney

Int. Hewett McInerney Gulden Stephens

This is banking on McInerney and Stephens being fit. I couldn’t squeeze Campbell or Warner in, and giving Hayward a game or two until he’s under threat of losing his spot. We know Longmire will hesitate to drop him.

Now I wait for someone to tell me who I forgot and who I named twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
No he won't. Hewett tagged him before and kept him almost kuckless for a half. I think it was the game he got injured. After that Neale got 15 in the third and 18 in the last.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tagged him AND kept him from being cheated on by his wife. Hewett has a lot of strings to his bow.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
Lloyd Melican Rampe

Mills McCartin Dawson

Parker Florent Rowbottom

Wicks Heeney Hayward

Reid McDonald Papley

Hickey JPK Heeney

Int. Hewett McInerney Gulden Stephens

This is banking on McInerney and Stephens being fit. I couldn’t squeeze Campbell or Warner in, and giving Hayward a game or two until he’s under threat of losing his spot. We know Longmire will hesitate to drop him.

Now I wait for someone to tell me who I forgot and who I named twice.

Campbell over Gulden imo.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Didn't see the game today.. but get the impression that McCartin is a very good key defender, Warner had another good game in the middle, Logan showed a lot after half time, Wicks did everything possible to earn a spot in rd 1 and Parker showed a lot as a forward
Was interesting listening to Horse post match.. Stephens and Mcinerney have had niggles........

From what I can gather, our future plan for the inside midfield will be Florent, Rowbottom, Warner, Mills. Theres a lot of speed, tenacity, competitiveness and foot and hand skills there.
Players like Heeney, Parker (for a few years), Blakey, McInerney, Stephens, Campbell, Gulden, Paps and others will all rotate through there.
JPK will be a teacher this year and do a lot of the heavy body work, Parker will play a lot forward (maybe at Haywoods expense?)
Hewett is interesting. Ive tipped him to be traded at the end of the year. He played in defence today which suggests to me that he is a valued member of the team, but not part of the future midfield.?..?/?

Interesting times to watch a developing team
I don't k ow where George played. He was All over the place. He played some mid. As you said you did not see the game. You are a pretty s**t judge of footy talent and smarts if you are ready to delist Hewett. He has been top 10 B&F every year since he has been playing. He went close to winning in 2019 being runner up to Dane Rampe. Last year he did not play many games due to injury. In 2018 he was 7th. In 2017 he was 5th. Sorry got that wrong he WA s 12th in 2016.

But why is everybody a ting to get rid of George? He is a very good player. To delist a player of his standard would be stupid. To out him on the market shortsighted.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Gray, Taylor, Ronke and COR would all be depth players now as there's younger players with more to offer.

Where is Gould at?

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Campbell over Gulden imo.

Quite possibly but I just feel that Errol will be more composed in a season opener and with so many young guys that will matter. I’d have no qualms if he missed out and Campbell played, that kid will be a weapon whenever he plays once he adjusts to the game.

Of course neither of them have played a game of senior AFL footy for premiership points so maybe I’m way off and maybe Campbell would be the better first gamer.

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
I think there is a rule of thumb that you need 30 AFL-ready players on the list to stay in premiership contention (thats if we get there first though). Injuries will happen and you need plug and play depth at times. Tbh our 23-30 is something like this: Hayward, Gray, Taylor, COR, Gould, Brand, Naismith... that honestly aint bad depth to have. Some experience in there pushing for spots.

Of course the youngsters developing into stars is another story altogether though.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Call me odd. However the stand on mark rule is going to noticeably change the game of footy. More than any. Especially with limited interchanges.
Its going to be a game built on speed and precise ball movement.
Build a side around that.

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Call me odd. However the stand on mark rule is going to noticeably change the game of footy. More than any. Especially with limited interchanges.
Thats why I think the Pyke hire would be great for us. Sure it eventually all fell apart at the Crows but goodness in 2017 the Crows under him were sublime when it came to ball movement. When they were on, they were scoring 100 with ease.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think there is a rule of thumb that you need 30 AFL-ready players on the list to stay in premiership contention (thats if we get there first though). Injuries will happen and you need plug and play depth at times. Tbh our 23-30 is something like this: Hayward, Gray, Taylor, COR, Gould, Brand, Naismith... that honestly aint bad depth to have. Some experience in there pushing for spots.

Of course the youngsters developing into stars is another story altogether though.

Yep, there will be some point in the season where our injury list will have 6 to 8 players on it and in those weeks we will be thankful guys like COR, Gray and Taylor are on the list.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Less stoppages too.
Rucks less important.
Need better kickers after behinds. Guys that can run and break lines and kick long balls.

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

I tend to agree, but will reserve judgment till we see a decent sample of competitive footy. Its good we are already moving in a decent direction towards a team built around that.

I would advise cautious optimism about how competitive the kids like Warner, Campbell and Gulden would be. Yes they’ve looked impressive in the pre-season, but pre-season form can often be misleading. They could play at senior level and it could become very apparent that they aren’t up to it. That would bring them back to the pack of COR, Clarke, Gray etc.

Case in point: Gray was named among our bests in our first pre-season game last year after 19 possessions as a half forward, and Taylor was named among our bests in our second pre-season game after 25 possessions and a goal in the same role. Neither amounted to much in the season proper.

I’m waiting to see how the kids travel at the highest level before celebrating our depth.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Less stoppages too.
Rucks less important.
Need better kickers after behinds. Guys that can run and break lines and kick long balls.
The thing is. A mark just beyond the arcs from a kick out would inevitably be another kick towards a scrum of players.
Such was the nature of the mark.
Now. It will go inboard. Either via kick or runner.
The boundary line stoppage scrum is dead.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Less stoppages too.
Rucks less important.
Armatey is interesting.. His u18's coach (Dermott Breherton?) praised his leap. Kinnear Beatson said he was our quickest player over 20m last trade period. So he may be short 197cm (2 years ago) but has a good leap, and at 96kg(2 years ago) may be one of the most athletic rucks in the comp.. Big year coming up for Joel, but I can see why they gave him another year.

Need better kicks.. guys that can run and kick long.. ie. Dawson, Stephens, McInerney, Blakey, Campbell etc etc etc. Maybe Kinnear has been doing a good job after all?

Armatey is interesting.. His u18's coach (Dermott Breherton?) praised his leap. Kinnear Beatson said he was our quickest player over 20m last trade period. So he may be short 197cm (2 years ago) but has a good leap, and at 96kg(2 years ago) may be one of the most athletic rucks in the comp.. Big year coming up for Joel, but I can see why they gave him another year.

Need better kicks.. guys that can run and kick long.. ie. Dawson, Stephens, McInerney, Blakey, Campbell etc etc etc. Maybe Kinnear has been doing a good job after all?

Some of the kicking on the weekend was effing brilliant. There was a real sense that we wanted to be ambitious with our ball use with long kicks, even if they didn’t always come off.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Some of the kicking on the weekend was effing brilliant. There was a real sense that we wanted to be ambitious with our ball use with long kicks, even if they didn’t always come off.
These young kids are brilliant kicks.
Goes to show how poor some of the other (older) players are.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Quite possibly but I just feel that Errol will be more composed in a season opener and with so many young guys that will matter. I’d have no qualms if he missed out and Campbell played, that kid will be a weapon whenever he plays once he adjusts to the game.

Of course neither of them have played a game of senior AFL footy for premiership points so maybe I’m way off and maybe Campbell would be the better first gamer.

I'm with you on Gulden. Just look at what a small impact player Papley has done. I expect similar or better. Looking forward to it.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I hear McLean kicked a bag in the latest reserves match.

And I see that Reid was in an arm-brace yesterday.

Stars aligning.
after our best and most experienced tall forward has been ruled out for rd 1.. are you hoping our second best and second most experienced tall forward is also ruled out for round 1?
What team do you support?

after our best and most experienced tall forward has been ruled out for rd 1.. are you hoping our second best and second most experienced tall forward is also ruled out for round 1?
What team do you support?

No point being experienced if you're no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back