2021 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% with you on Wicks. Have had him in the other pocket all along. He tackles ferociously but technically very well (like Cunningham) and has good positional sense. Can kick off either foot. Disciplined.
Also agree with you on McInerney. Not sure how long his stress fracture will take to heal. If he can't get in a body of work he won't get picked.
I suspect Gulden is working to get past Ronke and is pretty close. People smarter than me have suggested Gulden's longer-term future is in the midfield. Wicks has also played there effectively in ressies.
Try picking the best 22 for 2022!!!

I certainly don't envy the match selection committee.

Gulden would be a quality mid. He'd also be a quality small forward, and a potentially prolific one. I think where he plays in the future probably depends on how the other young players in each position come on (midfield - Stephens, Blakey, Florent, Campbell, Warner; small forward - Wicks, Ronke) Wherever Gulden's impact will be most needed is where he'll probably play the majority of his time.

I'm not at all sure Campbell will make it into the side for Rd1. Heard he was a little diffident in the match SIM "picking up the speed and pressure of AFL level". For sure he will make it, but maybe not straight away. My money would be on McInerney to fit that slot if they play that way.
Wicks kicking 4 goals will make a few sit up and take notice. Gulden in the game with two. Things are heating up.

Don't forget though that the practice match was in the wet and that does not really suit Campbell's low possession high quality disposal game he plays.

Don't forget though that the practice match was in the wet and that does not really suit Campbell's low possession high quality disposal game he plays.
Sorry, my Rohan senses were tingling

Sorry, my Rohan senses were tingling

Unfair reference there Millky. The reason Campbell is a low-possession player is predominantly to do with his tank. It will take some time before it's developed enough where he can impact contests consistently, as opposed to impacting one, and then fading from the play for periods at a time. This is not uncommon though. Kids like Blakey and Rowbottom are quality every time they get it, but have not been that prolific and are still prone to periods where they just can't get involved, and it's not through lack of endeavour, but because they don't have the tank for it (I believe they were also right at the bottom last year in terms of TOG%, and I expect Campbell will be the same if, and when, he plays senior footy this year, so our expectations on his output need to be realistic.)

Rohan simply didn't know how to get involved, and also fumbled his lines too frequently on the occasions when he was involved. I don't think we'll have such concerns with Campbell if his class is able to carry over from juniors.

Unfair reference there Millky. The reason Campbell is a low-possession player is predominantly to do with his tank. It will take some time before it's developed enough where he can impact contests consistently, as opposed to impacting one, and then fading from the play for periods at a time. This is not uncommon though. Kids like Blakey and Rowbottom are quality every time they get it, but have not been that prolific and are still prone to periods where they just can't get involved, and it's not through lack of endeavour, but because they don't have the tank for it (I believe they were also right at the bottom last year in terms of TOG%, and I expect Campbell will be the same if, and when, he plays senior footy this year, so our expectations on his output need to be realistic.)

Rohan simply didn't know how to get involved, and also fumbled his lines too frequently on the occasions when he was involved. I don't think we'll have such concerns with Campbell if his class is able to carry over from juniors.
I know its different roles and skillsets but I heard a lot of low poss but high impact stuff before

I know I am more pessimistic than most though

I know its different roles and skillsets but I heard a lot of low poss but high impact stuff before

I know I am more pessimistic than most though

Fair enough. Have you watched Campbell play before though? On the occasions where he's played inside (which is admittedly far less often than when he's on the outside/at half forward) he has cracked in and been as prolific as he needed to be. The talk is all about his class obviously, but he's actually a real hard nut who loves to win the footy and will get it himself if he has to. Not to mention he's coming in with the label of being arguably the best kick at the club already, so safe to say his teammates will want to get it into his hands as often as possible.

But when you don't have the tank to keep going and working into the best positions and keep the ball moving dangerously, you could be Gary Ablett Jr. and you'll still struggle to get involved and find the pill. Once his fitness is at the level of a Stephens or a McInerney he will be able to emulate their running patterns and work rate. It will just be a much slower burn for him, and I think we would've known that at the time we drafted him, especially in comparison with Gulden who has no such concerns.

Fair enough. Have you watched Campbell play before though? On the occasions where he's played inside (which is admittedly far less often than when he's on the outside/at half forward) he has cracked in and been as prolific as he needed to be. The talk is all about his class obviously, but he's actually a real hard nut who loves to win the footy and will get it himself if he has to. Not to mention he's coming in with the label of being arguably the best kick at the club already, so safe to say his teammates will want to get it into his hands as often as possible.

But when you don't have the tank to keep going and working into the best positions and keep the ball moving dangerously, you could be Gary Ablett Jr. and you'll still struggle to get involved and find the pill. Once his fitness is at the level of a Stephens or a McInerney he will be able to emulate their running patterns and work rate. It will just be a much slower burn for him, and I think we would've known that at the time we drafted him, especially in comparison with Gulden who has no such concerns.
Just highlights which is mostly his bullet passes

Which are ******* beautiful mind you

Just highlights which is mostly his bullet passes

Which are ******* beautiful mind you

Unsurprisingly those bullet passes make the cut over the harder, scrappier moments that are less beautiful, but show his appetite for the contest. I don't think we will have to worry about Campbell being a spectator.

100% with you on Wicks. Have had him in the other pocket all along. He tackles ferociously but technically very well (like Cunningham) and has good positional sense. Can kick off either foot. Disciplined.
Also agree with you on McInerney. Not sure how long his stress fracture will take to heal. If he can't get in a body of work he won't get picked.
I suspect Gulden is working to get past Ronke and is pretty close. People smarter than me have suggested Gulden's longer-term future is in the midfield. Wicks has also played there effectively in ressies.
Try picking the best 22 for 2022!!!
Yeah and 2023 when we start to be semi decent.

We’ll be semi decent this year. If by semi decent you mean challenging for the 8.

In the 8 = decent.

Top 4 = serious contenders.

Premiership = lack of investment in youth.
I reckon we are well over hyped for this year, we are talking about Clarke, Mcinerney, Hewett and others about competing for spots as depth. Our list isnt that good and we have Heeney, Buddy and Papely on one leg.

Heeney coming along well, but we are absolutely kidding ourselves if we think Buddy is going to have any meaningful impact for us on the field this year, or ever again. Played at least 17 games in 13 of his first 14 seasons en route to 300 games and one of the all-time careers, insane durability and a massive achievement, but that would've taken a lot out of his body. He gets recurring injuries, then new ones pop up whenever he's recovering from the original injuries. The writing's on the wall.

Another way to look at it is if Buddy was an opposition player on the market at 34 years of age having only played 10 games in the last two years, would we as fans want him? We'd be saying he's cooked. We're obviously more polite about it because he is our champion and we have a right to be optimistic and hope for the best, but being optimistic and realistic are two different things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeney coming along well, but we are absolutely kidding ourselves if we think Buddy is going to have any meaningful impact for us on the field this year, or ever again. Played at least 17 games in 13 of his first 14 seasons en route to 300 games and one of the all-time careers, insane durability and a massive achievement, but that would've taken a lot out of his body. He gets recurring injuries, then new ones pop up whenever he's recovering from the original injuries. The writing's on the wall.

Another way to look at it is if Buddy was an opposition player on the market at 34 years of age having only played 10 games in the last two years, would we as fans want him? We'd be saying he's cooked. We're obviously more polite about it because he is our champion and we have a right to be optimistic and hope for the best, but being optimistic and realistic are two different things.
heeney not so good

1612148720227.png

Hayden McLean's strong pre-season continues laying this tackle on Matt Ling!!

We bought him to play 7 seasons. We had to get it over the line so we said 9 years @ 10 mil. I said it at the time we were buying a Premiership. No one turns down the ability to get the best key forward in the game or in the decade. He has been a Privilege and so much enjoyment. He may turn out and kick the winning goal next year in our next premiership.

We bought him to play 7 seasons. We had to get it over the line so we said 9 years @ 10 mil. I said it at the time we were buying a Premiership. No one turns down the ability to get the best key forward in the game or in the decade. He has been a Privilege and so much enjoyment. He may turn out and kick the winning goal next year in our next premiership.

You're referring to the past though, I'm talking about the present/future. He needs to overcome three very obvious steps that as of right now, make the prospect of him having a meaningful impact on the field for us more unlikely than likely.

1. Actually getting on the field.
2. Showing the kind of form we need him to show.
3. Being able to sustain his condition to play regular games.

Taking off my rose-coloured glasses, I can recognise that all three steps will be very difficult for him and the club to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back