2021 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, please excuse the intrusion.
Just wondering about the status of James Bell. Was he injured in his last game, and do you see him getting any games this season?
Cheers.
The fact he is still on the list, astounds me

Just wondering about the status of James Bell. Was he injured in his last game, and do you see him getting any games this season?
Cheers.
Not sure about that injury but he's training fine. Probably not best 22 when everyone's fit but he'll probably get a few games.
Why the interest?

Cheers.

He copped a concussion after like 10 minutes

Horse mentioned there might be some additions to the leadership group this year. Personally I'd love to see Lloyd recognised, and also Papley, who was in our leadership group two years ago, and has since proven his commitment to the club.

Personally, I wish we hadn't got into this multiple captains mess. Rampe should be captain on his own. Parker vice. Mills should likely (things can change) be the next captain after Rampe.

Having a go.. the positions are vague, but that's modern footy.

Forwards (6)
Talls...... Buddy, Reid.
Medium.. Hayward, Heeney.
Smalls... Paps, Ronke
- If Buddy is injured it'll be interesting who gets his spot out of McLean and McDonald. Reid to back up in the ruck
- Gut is saying Hayward is in for a big year
- Wicks, Ronke, Gulden. All three are in competition for that pressure forward spot, pre-season form will determine who starts

Ruck (1)
Hickey (or Sinkers)
- No idea who is rated higher? Pre-season form again will determine

Mids (8)
Inside... JPK, Parker, Mills, Rowbum
Outside. Blakey, Stephens, McInerney, Florent
-
Thinking we'll see Blakey, Stephens and Florent play inside as well
- Also thinking a lot of these guys will rest / rotate up forward

Defenders (7)
Tall........................................ McCartin, Melican
Distributer / 3rd tall / intercept.. Rampe, Dawson, Lloyd, Gould
Back pocket............................. Cunningham
- Gould is the lucky one here, deserves a game, but Ling, Fox, COR might be needed to play small?

This leaves players like: Hewett, Sinkers, McLean, McDonald, Wicks, Gulden, Warner, Clarke, Taylor, Bell, Campbell, Brand, Fox, COR, Ling, Gray as depth. All these guys have the potential to carve out a career.. some have the potential to carve out a Very Good career..

Im interested / excited to watch both OConnor and Armatey develop.
Armatey has had a lot of injuries so hasn't had a good crack as yet. The Swans gave him another year. Was their reasoning because he could become a very athletic and good ruck (very big leap and the fastest swan over 20m!) or because our ruck stocks are screwed at the moment and he's the best we've got??
OConnor is yet to play a real game but has all the attributes to become something special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a go.. the positions are vague, but that's modern footy.

Forwards (6)
Talls...... Buddy, Reid.
Medium.. Hayward, Heeney.
Smalls... Paps, Ronke
- If Buddy is injured it'll be interesting who gets his spot out of McLean and McDonald. Reid to back up in the ruck
- Gut is saying Hayward is in for a big year
- Wicks, Ronke, Gulden. All three are in competition for that pressure forward spot, pre-season form will determine who starts

Ruck (1)
Hickey (or Sinkers)
- No idea who is rated higher? Pre-season form again will determine

Mids (8)
Inside... JPK, Parker, Mills, Rowbum
Outside. Blakey, Stephens, McInerney, Florent
-
Thinking we'll see Blakey, Stephens and Florent play inside as well
- Also thinking a lot of these guys will rest / rotate up forward

Defenders (7)
Tall........................................ McCartin, Melican
Distributer / 3rd tall / intercept.. Rampe, Dawson, Lloyd, Gould
Back pocket............................. Cunningham
- Gould is the lucky one here, deserves a game, but Ling, Fox, COR might be needed to play small?

This leaves players like: Hewett, Sinkers, McLean, McDonald, Wicks, Gulden, Warner, Clarke, Taylor, Bell, Campbell, Brand, Fox, COR, Ling, Gray as depth. All these guys have the potential to carve out a career.. some have the potential to carve out a Very Good career..

Im interested / excited to watch both OConnor and Armatey develop.
Armatey has had a lot of injuries so hasn't had a good crack as yet. The Swans gave him another year. Was their reasoning because he could become a very athletic and good ruck (very big leap and the fastest swan over 20m!) or because our ruck stocks are screwed at the moment and he's the best we've got??
OConnor is yet to play a real game but has all the attributes to become something special.
Hewett will be in that team if fit. First game he will run with Neale. Who misses out?
McInerney is not fit and will miss. Parker will spend a lot more time forward.
I think Wicks will replace Ronke. His forward pressure and tackling is superior.
One more possibility is that Dawson will move to the wing and one of Fox, Ling or COR come in.

Hewett will be in that team if fit. First game he will run with Neale. Who misses out?
McInerney is not fit and will miss. Parker will spend a lot more time forward.
I think Wicks will replace Ronke. His forward pressure and tackling is superior.
One more possibility is that Dawson will move to the wing and one of Fox, Ling or COR come in.
yep .. Hewett for an injured (under-prepared) Mcinerney
Cant see any other of the mids missing out, ie. cant see Dawson moving to the wing and Blackey, Stephens or Florent missing out.. so a small defender to replace Gould.. Ill back (hope) Ling
Wicks, Ronke, Gulden, I reckon are pretty evenly matched.. Im a fan of Ronke, think hes got a bigger upside. But granted, Wicks didn't put a foot wrong last season and I loved his pressure - very solid! will be interesting to watch
Still leaves a lot of talent in the reserves
Nice problem for the Swans to have

Leaving Hewett out of that best 22 is a good example of where the list is headed. I wouldn't be surprised for Mills to play a tagging role on occasion. Could help him ease into the mids. I still reckon that Hewett might be off to Adelaide at the end of the year?

yep .. Hewett for an injured (under-prepared) Mcinerney
Cant see any other of the mids missing out, ie. cant see Dawson moving to the wing and Blackey, Stephens or Florent missing out.. so a small defender to replace Gould.. Ill back (hope) Ling
Wicks, Ronke, Gulden, I reckon are pretty evenly matched.. Im a fan of Ronke, think hes got a bigger upside. But granted, Wicks didn't put a foot wrong last season and I loved his pressure - very solid! will be interesting to watch
Still leaves a lot of talent in the reserves
Nice problem for the Swans to have

Leaving Hewett out of that best 22 is a good example of where the list is headed. I wouldn't be surprised for Mills to play a tagging role on occasion. Could help him ease into the mids. I still reckon that Hewett might be off to Adelaide at the end of the year?
I’m not sure that either Stephens or McInerney have overtaken Hewett but your point is right. Swap either out for him and that one becomes the depth, which is still strong.

I’m not sure that either Stephens or McInerney have overtaken Hewett but your point is right. Swap either out for him and that one becomes the depth, which is still strong.
I don't reckon they have overtaken Hewett, its more a comment on the game plan. Last few years the Swans have drafted a lot of speed and good kicks (think McInerneys kicking shouldn't be underrated - didn't miss a kick last season),, We also saw glimpses of the Swans new faster game plan last season(?) ie.. playing on from marks a lot, or using the corridor a lot etc. Im thinking he future outside mids will be combinations of Blakey, Stephens, McInerney, Campbell - all very quick and very good kicks. So I reckon Horse will want to play these guys as much as possible

George was r/up in our B&F in 2019. Will be picked ahead of JPK.

As far as I am concerned when fit George is an immediate selection.

Our problem is Horse for ages had JPK, Parker and George at centre bounces. None are quick and sadly JPK now runs in treacle. George is my first picked of the three and truthfully I want to see Rowbottom and Stephens in there a lot of the time.

I always feel like I am shooting Bambi (tho I do enjoy venison) when I express strong reservations about JPK. Parker is more adaptable and can play fwd during the game - JPK cannot imo. To win games we must look at improving cc and other stoppages.

Our problem is Horse for ages had JPK, Parker and George at centre bounces. None are quick and sadly JPK now runs in treacle. George is my first picked of the three and truthfully I want to see Rowbottom and Stephens in there a lot of the time.

I always feel like I am shooting Bambi (tho I do enjoy venison) when I express strong reservations about JPK. Parker is more adaptable and can play fwd during the game - JPK cannot imo. To win games we must look at improving cc and other stoppages.

I think it is generally agreed that 2021 will be Kennedy's last year and I hope Longmire does not play him too much in the centre when he does play as guys like Rowbottom actually played much better as the leading inside mid than he did when Kennedy came back. We need to be focused on the future in 2021, and that means if it is a 50/50 call go with the younger guy over the player who will be retiring in a year or two.

As for Parker, I strongly believe he would actually be better if he spent more time up forward.

The midfield is really interesting this year.. Its certainly in transition from the old guard to the new.
All three of JPK, Parker and Hewett are up for contract this year. Not saying he should or shouldn't, but saying I reckon JPK will retire. I reckon Parker will be given a two year contract and become the leader of the mids (think hes far better there than up forward).. and I reckon Hewett will go to Adelaide as a free agent. - there's been a fair bit of stuff to suggest this.
Im a fan of all three.. JPK still wins more clearances (+ full of other inside tricks) than anyone else, Parker is still better than any of the young crew, Hewett is still Mr consistency and consistent at a good level. Their experience is still gold in the middle.. Hard to leave any of them out..
It seems Mills will play a lot of minutes through the mids, maybe this means Paps doesn't have to (he spent most of the last 6-7 games in the mids last year)
I reckon Florent, Rowbum, Blackey, Stephens and Warner (Gulden) are still a couple of years away from forming a dominant inside midfield, Parker can help and Mills is looking like joining them
Im happy to sit and watch the coaches do their job and the new game plan unfold

As far as I am concerned when fit George is an immediate selection.

It now seems to be a consensus view on here that a midfield of JPK, Parker and Hewett is not a successful one, and that we can't have all three in the guts together. I remember when having that opinion had you at risk of facing the firing squad.

I also remember, and will not forget, when Hewett was thrown under the proverbial bus on here for the midfield's performance last year - when he only played one game in the midfield.

It now seems to be a consensus view on here that a midfield of JPK, Parker and Hewett is not a successful one, and that we can't have all three in the guts together. I remember when having that opinion had you at risk of facing the firing squad.

I also remember, and will not forget, when Hewett was thrown under the proverbial bus on here for the midfield's performance last year - when he only played one game in the midfield.
Last year was too early to expect a 2nd yr Rowbum, a 1st year 70kg Stephens, 2nd yr stick figure Blakey, 1st year Warner and a young Florent who cops a solid BF bashing, to win at the coal face. The experienced and hardened heads and bodies of JPK, Parker and Hewett were still superior and needed. This year we will see less of those three, and next year less again. The midfield is in transition.
I watched the Swans Hawks game the other day. No JPK or Hewett. Mills and Rowbum played inside and did well. but.. Mills had heaps more tackles and clearances than Rowbum, ie.. Mills did the heavy lifting
It takes a few years for draftees to settle, grow bodies, and seriously contribute to the inside.. I reckon Horse is fast tracking as quick as possible

tom hickey will offer the most significant change to the mids group this year IMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back