Preview 2021 Rd 5 - Richmond vs St Kilda at Docklands Thursday 15/4 7.20pm AEST - Conspiracies, Comparisons and the Moorabbin Rasputitsa

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler & Higgins > Aarts
We f*ed up there

Iā€™m so over the this narrative šŸ˜¤

The Butler who was shithouse in his last season with us? The guy that put off re-signing with us because he thought he could earn more money only to completely s**t the bed and not get the the contract we previously offered? The same Dan Butler who didnā€™t want to fight to get his spot back in a premiership side? The guy who has also played s**t for half the time his been at his new club?

The same Higgins who our club supported through 2 surgeries to his brain. Who then had a sook about not playing in the 2020 grand final even though heā€™d only played 10 games into his comeback season. Who couldnā€™t play in the 2019 grand final because of the life risking career killer brain surgeries šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø . The guy bitched out while contracted because he also didnā€™t want to fight for his spot ( he was competing against Aarts ffs).

While Iā€™ll always welcome Dan Butler back because of 2017 I think theyā€™ve both proved they are no longer Richmond men.

Now I hope they stay healthy so they can have long careers (if theyā€™re good enough) but I couldnā€™t give two *s about them and what theyā€™re doing at their new insignificant little club. I have no regard for either of them (BEllis & Markov on the other hand šŸ‘).

You must've been watching a different game to me.

Go back and watch the first bounce and you'll find number 5 at the centre of your screen.

Dimma was interviewed at half time and he said that the young mids weren't performing in the middle so he put Edwards into the middle and moved Ross to the wing.

The only reason Ross didn't play in the midfield in the second half was because he couldn't find the ball in the first half.

Spot on. Itā€™s like everyone forgets that Port midfield dominated the 2nd quarter and if it wasnā€™t for bad goal kicking, it wouldā€™ve been game over.

Spot on. Itā€™s like everyone forgets that Port midfield dominated the 2nd quarter and if it wasnā€™t for bad goal kicking, it wouldā€™ve been game over.
Yep. I'd say it's the reason we've gone with the team we have this week. We want blokes like Edwards and Bolton playing through there instead of Ross and Martyn.

I wouldn't drop the kids. Sure They were caught out by the pace of the game.
They will be better for it.
Don't smash their confidence.
We have seen rioli and caddy. They get caught alot as well and don't have the upside of the kids.

Betcha dan doesn't get better bloodlines/ looks to breed with than he's already had...
ahhhh this post reminds me of the good old days. I can smell them in the air again.

That stat about us being 18th for forward pressure is concerning. If only we had some small forwards we could play there i rkn the likes of a Dan Butler or Jack Higgins would fit very well into our structures

The Butler who was shithouse in his last season with us? The guy that put off re-signing with us because he thought he could earn more money only to completely sh*t the bed and not get the the contract we previously offered? The same Dan Butler who didnā€™t want to fight to get his spot back in a premiership side? The guy who has also played sh*t for half the time his been at his new club?

The same Higgins who our club supported through 2 surgeries to his brain. Who then had a sook about not playing in the 2020 grand final even though heā€™d only played 10 games into his comeback season. Who couldnā€™t play in the 2019 grand final because of the life risking career killer brain surgeries šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø . The guy bitched out while contracted because he also didnā€™t want to fight for his spot ( he was competing against Aarts ffs).

While Iā€™ll always welcome Dan Butler back because of 2017 I think theyā€™ve both proved they are no longer Richmond men.

Now I hope they stay healthy so they can have long careers (if theyā€™re good enough) but I couldnā€™t give two fu**s about them and what theyā€™re doing at their new insignificant little club. I have no regard for either of them (BEllis & Markov on the other hand šŸ‘).

Disagree on Higgins. Got dropped after performances that were better than Aarts who remained in the side. Hell, if Higgo had have played for us this year and put in the performances that Aarts has so far, he'd have been dropped after his first poor game, and not been carried in 2 poor games.

I personally reckon Higgins was hard done by when he was dropped. Was actually starting to find the form of 2018. Club decided he didn't fit hte way we would be playing, so every poor game he had, he was dropped whilst blokes like Rioli, Castagna, Aarts could have absolute stinkers for a month continuously and keep their place.

Yep. I'd say it's the reason we've gone with the team we have this week. We want blokes like Edwards and Bolton playing through there instead of Ross and Martyn.
Ross should be playing along with edwards and bolton , we are clearly a midfielder short...
If we want these young players to develop so they can replace our aging stars we have to be more patient and least give them
a few games when possible , with prestia out a perfect oppurtunity with Ross..

Ross should be playing along with edwards and bolton , we are clearly a midfielder short...
If we want these young players to develop so they can replace our aging stars we have to be more patient and least give them
a few games when possible , with prestia out a perfect oppurtunity with Ross..
I disagree that we're a mid short. The only way we could've fitted in another mid would be to not play one of Aarts and Rioli, which would've meant that Bolton/Edwards/Lambert would've had to spend more time forward and all are much better mids than Ross.

Perhaps we could've given Cotch a rest? This is an important game though. Can't lose three in a row.

I disagree that we're a mid short. The only way we could've fitted in another mid would be to not play one of Aarts and Rioli, which would've meant that Bolton/Edwards/Lambert would've had to spend more time forward and all are much better mids than Ross.

Perhaps we could've given Cotch a rest? This is an important game though. Can't lose three in a row.
Will have to agree to disagree , with aarts out its not like we cant rest edwards,bolton and co in the forward line..IMO we clearly need another in and under inside midfielder..
Tough one re cotch , as you said must win game but another 6 day break is a worry...If he can get through tomorrow night 9 day break to melb game so roll the dice i guess..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Butler who was shithouse in his last season with us? The guy that put off re-signing with us because he thought he could earn more money only to completely sh*t the bed and not get the the contract we previously offered? The same Dan Butler who didnā€™t want to fight to get his spot back in a premiership side? The guy who has also played sh*t for half the time his been at his new club?

Now I hope they stay healthy so they can have long careers (if theyā€™re good enough) but I couldnā€™t give two fu**s about them and what theyā€™re doing at their new insignificant little club. I have no regard for either of them (BEllis & Markov on the other hand šŸ‘).

It's not a narrative- its just someones opinion.

Butlers final year with us was ordinary, but his 2017 was epic and his 2018 was good & we all agree his 2020 was excellent.

Higgins, there is not a lot more we can do there - kid wanted to leave & it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me why. Was given heaps of goes & was supported through brain surgery from the club. Seemed well liked by the playing group also. His enthusiasm seemed to lift the team in 2018, but it never really had the same effect after that - perhaps his personality wore thin on the group & he didn't feel like he fitted in? In retrospect, there is a lot similar about Higgo's and Stacks first seasons with Richmond - perhaps over time, that type of personality type does not mesh well with our older blokes & they feel a bit alienated from the team.

I am ok with Higgo leaving - he wanted to go & the club got ok-ish return on . I think Butler leaving probably has to be sighted as an error, longterm anyway... hard to say it was a true error considering we won the next 2 flags. But, If u had the choice of Butler vs Rioli, Aarts,, Caddy or Stack - I would take Butler without much thought. And our return on him we deplorable, definitely the worst thing the club has done in this great era - have no idea why we do not demand more return when our players leave

Can't believe Aarts is still in the team. RCD, Naish must be getting pretty frustrated by now

Guys I hope I'm wrong but I think we're going to get murdered this week, absolutely destroyed.

- We are something like 18th for forward pressure in 2021, yet Aarts stays in.
- Our midfield got smashed and applied zero pressure against Sydney, it was just okay against Port, yet we drop Ross who played reasonably well and didn't bring in another midfielder.
- We are playing 8 defenders, why are we playing 8?! One of them is a kid in game two, and then we pull Balta or Astbury out to ruck and wreck our structures.
- This week our midfield is an ageing Cotchin and Edwards, Graham (carrying something?), Bolton, and Dusty who will go and disappear forward for half of the game when we need him up around the ball. Then wingers in Kmac, Lambert, Pickett (sometimes a spud). Who will apply midfield pressure whilst the Saints are running their little leggies off all over the ground? We're up against Steele in red hot form, Crouch, Jones, Ross, Billings, Hill, and Marshall who will get support from Carlisle. Not to mention they are dangerous and quick forward, and very solid down back. We are gooooone.

If it were me, I'd have dropped Mansell (a tad stiff), Martyn, and Aarts.

I'd have brought in Rioli to have a crack at applying more forward pressure, Coleman Jones for a backup ruck and so our defence can stay settled, and McIntosh to run the wings.

Has Dimma lost the plot?
Is Aarts the new Taylor Hunt?

Genuine concern for me now.
Way to make genuine superstars and multiple premiership players sound like absolute dog vafa players compared superstars like crouch and jones ? LOL

Save your melt for when we lose

I didnā€™t think it through as much as you did... thanks for the lengthy breakdown. There was a bit of Kane Cornes in there, a little bit of Richo style raw emotion, it had it all

Disagree on Higgins. Got dropped after performances that were better than Aarts who remained in the side. Hell, if Higgo had have played for us this year and put in the performances that Aarts has so far, he'd have been dropped after his first poor game, and not been carried in 2 poor games.

I personally reckon Higgins was hard done by when he was dropped. Was actually starting to find the form of 2018. Club decided he didn't fit hte way we would be playing, so every poor game he had, he was dropped whilst blokes like Rioli, Castagna, Aarts could have absolute stinkers for a month continuously and keep their place.

I think you misunderstand me Iā€™m saying all Higgins would have had to do is beat out Aarts to play this year, which going by Higgins performances from before the surgeries heā€™d have done if heā€™d stayed. Instead he chose (while contracted) to bail on us, even after everything we did for him.

Have you actually looked at the stats from before the surgeries? Higgins was a lock in 2018 & 2019 before the brain bleed. We didnā€™t make the GF in ā€˜18ā€™ (Higgins best chance with us imo) and 2019 he had a good start but when we lost 3 in a row he was dropped to the VFL, then the brain bleed was discovered in July. 2020 on the other hand was a shitshow for anyone not in the 22 to push their way in, Higgins managed to play 10 games in his return and had some great games and some poor games and was dropped for Aarts (who was then dropped after the QF loss).

Castagna has been our best small forward of the lot and rightfully doesnā€™t get dropped as much as the others but saying Rioli and Aarts didnā€™t/donā€™t get dropped as much as Higgins did is laughably incorrect. I get Aarts has been poor lately but we have no one to take his place until MJ is deemed ready (which seems like it might be soon considering heā€™s an emergency). I think it was shown last week that we canā€™t afford to have Bolton or Sheeda not playing majority midfield especially with Prestia out.

Anyway happy to leave it there šŸ™‚. šŸ¤” reckon I might have over done it lol

Couldnā€™t agree more mate..this is fact. We gifted games to Aarts..over Higgins and that was a MASSIVE mistake. No wonder why Higgins wanted more game time somewhere else. I blame us more than Higgins wanting to leave. Higgins is young and will only get better. Aarts has never done anything when the pressure is on..gets a few cheap goals here and there. Honestly, if he doesnā€™t pull something out tomorrow, he should never play again. To be honest, itā€™s already ridiculous that he is playing this week.

thought jiggins got dumped coz he just wanted to sit in the f50 kicking goals but we wanted to develop him in the midfield

Couldnā€™t agree more mate..this is fact. We gifted games to Aarts..over Higgins and that was a MASSIVE mistake. No wonder why Higgins wanted more game time somewhere else. I blame us more than Higgins wanting to leave. Higgins is young and will only get better. Aarts has never done anything when the pressure is on..gets a few cheap goals here and there. Honestly, if he doesnā€™t pull something out tomorrow, he should never play again. To be honest, itā€™s already ridiculous that he is playing this week.

I agree, 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back