Draft Review 2021 - Revisit the 2021 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

There were a few taken late on this draft that would go a hell of a lot earlier now

Daicos is the clear number one

Outside of that it evens outs but I'm not sure I'd take anyone else ahead of Mitch Owens right now

Could be one of the all time steals

There were a few taken late on this draft that would go a hell of a lot earlier now

Outside of that it evens outs but I'm not sure I'd take anyone else ahead of Mitch Owens right now

Love the enthusiasm, and he looks great, but he was taken in the second round. That's hardly encroaching on steal territory unless he turns into an all time great. The two best ruckmen between 2000-2015 were both rookie picks, as an example. He's playing quasi key-forward and averaging a goal and a half per game. He gets a lot of the ball, and uses it well, but probably worth cooling your jets for a little while.

Love the enthusiasm, and he looks great, but he was taken in the second round. That's hardly encroaching on steal territory unless he turns into an all time great. The two best ruckmen between 2000-2015 were both rookie picks, as an example. He's playing quasi key-forward and averaging a goal and a half per game. He gets a lot of the ball, and uses it well, but probably worth cooling your jets for a little while.
Yeah, he's doing a lot more than just kicking his 1.5 goals a game though. He's having more impact on games than anyone outside of Daicos.

If the draft was done again tomorrow he'd be going top 5. I think a player picked at 33 and rated top 5 just 18 months later is a bit of a steal

We also would have lost him if he had have been bidded in the top 20

Yeah, he's doing a lot more than just kicking his 1.5 goals a game though. He's having more impact on games than anyone outside of Daicos.

If the draft was done again tomorrow he'd be going top 5. I think a player picked at 33 and rated top 5 just 18 months later is a bit of a steal

We also would have lost him if he had have been bidded in the top 20
Mate I don’t disagree, he’s a steal, I just don’t know about all time stela just yet

Mate I don’t disagree, he’s a steal, I just don’t know about all time stela just yet
Fair enough

I think using rucks as a comparison is probably a bit unfair though as it's often a bit of a lottery with those guys.

I think if you look at where players that play a similar role (forward/mid) have gone in the draft over the years it's a fair enough statement

Finn Callaghan starting to come along nicely for us now. Obviously injury interrupted early, but starting to look a very nice player.
From memory we were massive on him and I THINK might have asked about what it would cost to move up and get him. Going to be a serious player

Finn Callaghan starting to come along nicely for us now. Obviously injury interrupted early, but starting to look a very nice player.

Signed on until the end of 2025 which is good for you guys :)

The Vic Club Vultures were circling

He is a gun, but was part of your Nect Gen Academy though, so its not as if you plucked him out of nowhere..

Early signs are really good for this draft, Daicos is generational and I think JHF is going to be special as well. There's a lot of talent after those two with the potential to be AA as well and from Freo's perspective, Amiss and Johnson look like incredible talents while I hope Ras makes the leap and gets a good look at it this week. We wont talk about Benning who is a bust even for how low he was picked

Early signs are really good for this draft, Daicos is generational and I think JHF is going to be special as well. There's a lot of talent after those two with the potential to be AA as well and from Freo's perspective, Amiss and Johnson look like incredible talents while I hope Ras makes the leap and gets a good look at it this week. We wont talk about Benning who is a bust even for how low he was picked

Arthur Jones looks pretty spry for the Doggies too, some real decent WA talent from this draft (Motlop) etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amiss and Johnson look like incredible talents while I hope Ras makes the leap and gets a good look at it this week. We wont talk about Benning who is a bust even for how low he was picked

The order you mentioned these names is the order I'd have them.

The order you mentioned these names is the order I'd have them.
Pretty much. Erasmus has a bit of work to do to get close to the other two but Johnson could honestly be better than Brayshaw and Serong and Amiss is carrying the hopes and dreams of a whole supporter base haha

Pretty much. Erasmus has a bit of work to do to get close to the other two but Johnson could honestly be better than Brayshaw and Serong and Amiss is carrying the hopes and dreams of a whole supporter base haha

Is Worner doing anything to be worthy of another contract?

Is Worner doing anything to be worthy of another contract?
Some Freo posters love him but I think he's set to be a very good state player for a long time. He's not quite athletic enough to make up for his often poor disposal. He's getting a lot of possessions at WAFL level playing half back and is generally good in the contest but I think he'll be let go. It will be Colyer and Benning first on the chopping block this year and then it will get interesting from there

Eric Benning aside, surely there were other NGA options for Freo.

Not sure who was with which club or even if they were NGA eligible but:

Richard Farmer.
Richard Bartlett.
Lawson Humphries.
Bartlett the only one with the talent for AFL level IMO but if Benning doesnt have the work ethic for WAFL level then Bartlett barely has the work ethic for ammo's

We more so lucked out with covid shutting down the U19s in his draft year. Was tracking nicely iirc and had a big game for Vic Metro. If they play out the season he probably goes in the top 20 as he was seen as a borderline first round selection on draft night.

A season and a half later this draft looks really good. Maybe not the depth of some other drafts but so far there's been about 10 or so players playing really solid football. Daicos and Rachele being the clear 2 standouts. Guys like Darcy and Andrew will need a few more years before we can judge them properly.

I would pick Amiss ahead of Rachele.
I think he will kick close to 40 goals this year. If he was from a vic club that would be a shoe in to win the RS but I can’t see it working like that.

Not sure how Amiss fell to pick 8 but not complaining. Players like him are so hard to find but you can get decent mids very quickly if you need them.

Hobbs looks well on his way to becoming a Taylor Adams type. Doubt he has the ceiling to threaten the very pointy end of the draft but jeez he's productive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back