Draft Review 2021 - Revisit the 2021 AFL Draft

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Any word or info on how your new draftees have settled in at their new club? locks for round 1, rising star certs , coming last in time trails, shadowing club great, ect, anything works.

Last edited by a moderator:

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
bump to 2021 edition

any word or info on how your new draftees have settled in at their new club? locks for round 1, rising star certs , coming last in time trails, shadowing club great, ect, anything works.

All longer-term prospects, but hearing good things about Charlie Parker. Jones and JUH our newest club bromance.

bump to 2021 edition

any word or info on how your new draftees have settled in at their new club? locks for round 1, rising star certs , coming last in time trails, shadowing club great, ect, anything works.
I think people can lock Josh Ward in for Round 1 in their super coach sides from what I have seen at training.

Sounds like he's got some Sam Walsh about him? Just keeps getting to where he needs to be
Weirdly that was what some said prior to drafting and I can see why.

MacDonald has been very good too.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
From our draft crew Marcus Windhager seems the most likely to feature this year.

Isn’t quite in full training yet- after recovering from the back injury that saw him miss the back-end of last season), but those who have seen the training he has done have tended to be excited by what they’ve seen of him, especially how well he moves, and the speed at which he does it.

He’s explosive and agile and has an incredibly good/strong build for someone that young, so physically he’ll be ready, as long as he’s fit enough.

What will also help his chances is that he plays both forward and midfield, so he could slot in up forward to begin with- if there’s an opening- and presumably apply a fair bit of pressure, with that speed and strong build he has.

Wanganeen-Milera has missed several weeks of training with an undisclosed injury I presume, and only just returned to the track last week, so he’s behind the 8-ball.

Mitch Owens isn’t as physically developed as Windhager and plays more midfield than forward, so he’s probably less likely to find a suitable spot to slot into easily, but he has at least been training the whole way through, so I imagine we’ll get a glimpse of him at some stage.

Adams broke his arm pre Christmas but I doubt we’d have seen any of him this year anyway, nor are we likely to see an if our other two NGA guys, in Perris or Kyle.

Unless we have a lot of injuries or Covid disruptions I doubt we’ll see much of any of them though, as we’re not in a development phase any more of gifting games to kids and we’re already going to be struggling to fit in guys who should be playing at AFL level, so they’ll probably have to bide their time.

Dogga6

All Australian
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Holmes himself was dead set of the view that he was going to Melbourne at pick 23. Was an open secret. Melbourne I think too thought he was just going to be a winger and would probably be parking him on a wing, which having seen him play you can see why he was being thought of as a later pick than that if you only saw him play on the outside. Seeing him play as a contested mid he looks a different player, just probably 15kgs too light for the position at the moment. Early days but by happy he was an appropriate selection for the pick given up.
Yeah no.

Jason Taylor our recruiting manager has openly said that Holmes wasn't discussed as a first round pick but more at their 3rd pick at the Fraser Rosman pick. We had an interest but weren't fazed one bit that we missed out.

Club rated Jake Bowey a top 15 pick and were ecstatic he was available at our first pick.

The whole talk of us wanting Holmes at our first pick was nothing but smack talk from Cal Twomey and Taylor has openly said this in an interview.

Yeah no.

Jason Taylor our recruiting manager has openly said that Holmes wasn't discussed as a first round pick but more at their 3rd pick at the Fraser Rosman pick. We had an interest but weren't fazed one bit that we missed out.

Club rated Jake Bowey a top 15 pick and were ecstatic he was available at our first pick.

The whole talk of us wanting Holmes at our first pick was nothing but smack talk from Cal Twomey and Taylor has openly said this in an interview.
Righto mate 👍

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
We've got a few old-timers on our list about to be shown the door. Plus the $$$ from Darling's contract might be available too.

We're getting ready to raid other teams if need be.

BIGHAWK23

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We've got a few old-timers on our list about to be shown the door. Plus the $$$ from Darling's contract might be available too.

We're getting ready to raid other teams if need be.
No-one will be coming to WA unless its a home thing or stupid money

Every chance to be hubbing for the next 24 months

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Great first season from Perkins and Cox. Skys the limit.

Reid struggling with injury. Hopefully just growing pains.

Waterman a good pick up impressed in some games, hard to see what kinda player he is going to be but has some nice weapons.

Baldwin, Eyre and Brand yet to debut, signs looking decent for Baldwin. Eyre showing glimpses and Brand unlikely at this stage.

Back